Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Good, lucky or both?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sweetee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Good, lucky or both? Reply with quote

I have finally gotten to the point where I'm using my Bug for short trips around town. I know its not ready for the freeway, but I do enjoy taking it for errands, etc. Last night I left it outside, rather than putting it back in the shed under lock and key. I had two places to go this morning and off I went. First stop was 4 blocks away. No problems. I got back in went about two blocks and turned a corner and then started hearing a knocking sound that sounded like something in the suspension. I just start to slow down when there went my left rear tire down the road ahead of me. My immediate fear was that I didn't get the axle nut tight enough when I did the brakes. I pulled off the road. A guy pointed out where the tire ended up in the bushes. The brake drum and axle nut were intact. All the lugs were gone. None were sheared off, but completely gone. I can't believe that all 4 left all at once. Is it possible someone tampered with it overnight? I did have all the wheels off for brake job, adjustment, etc., but I torqued all the lugs and all the remaining 12 were solidly tight!

I had to call the wife to come and get me and then returned with a floor jack and tools. I put the spare (doesn't match) and robbed one lug from the other three wheels to get me home. Other than some scoring/scouring (sp?) on the brake drum, everything seems ok.

Attached, you will find photos of the rim. Can I still use it, or does it look like the holes are too rounded out to use? If so, I guess I'm in the market for 4 new rims. Sad In looking back, I almost took the longer, highway version of my route this morning and that could have been much worse. Luckily, the tire passed between two parked cars and bounced to a stop in a bush.

I am truly having a hard time thinking that I didn't get any warning before it happened. What are the odds that only one wheel wasn't tightened properly as opposed to someone tampering? Other than a slight wrinkle in the fender, there doesn't seem to be any other damage. I don't want to even think about going up to highway speeds until I can get 4 lugs on each rim.

Any thoughts, suggestions, admonitions, etc. will be welcome! Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My first experience with a VW Beetle was 1966 when I was 16 and my older brother took me out driving in a snow storm to teach me how to drive a stick. Now that I'm retired and have the time, I hope to while away my time "playing" with "my new Bug!"
jhvw1976
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this happen after leaving a shop where I just had new tires put on. Was just hitting 50 getting on the intestate home. Steering wheel started to shake, then slam. Sparks flying up my window and my drivers side front wheel bouncing down the road. Ground down the brake drum, minor fender damage. Did what you did to get it back to the tire shop to point fingers.

I don't think my holes were too rounded out. Rim and tire are still mounted on the car. I bet they walked themselves off. The tire shop I went to put mine on with an impact wrench, but for some reason that drivers side front just didn't want to stay on.

Pick up a few spare lug nuts (cheap) and keep a 4 way in your trunk. I check mine periodically since that happened about 7 years ago out of paranoia. It was very frightening. I can't imagine what would have happened if I had made it up to 70mph.
birddog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your guess is as good as anyone, but I've never heard of 4 properly torqued lugs walk off at the same time. In fact in 40 years I've never had one come off. I have experienced the famous axle nut coming off, but that was my fault for not using a torque wrench. It would make me suspicious that all came off cleanly, but who knows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One time on a Ghia I put the wheel bolts back on one of the front wheels wrench tight but I forgot to fully tighten them once the car was on the ground.

I didn't get too far before the steering wheel started to shake back and forth so I pulled over and the bolts were all in the process of walking themselves out. Don't know how much warning you'd get on a rear wheel.

Let's be honest, most likely scenario is you forgot to torque those and they walked out while driving. But you can't rule out tampering either. Do you have any neighbor enemies?

Did you retrace your path and find the bolts?

If they were all gone from the get-go, you'd never have gotten out of your driveway.
Mudpump
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highly unlikely they were tightened correctly and just walked off.
You either forgot to torque them or someone is messing with you. You can get locking lugs if you think someone is messing with you. Hopefully that's the least likely because in fact they were trying to kill you.

But also look at getting a system when you tighten the lugs. I always go around the car a second time rechecking all the lugs. On axle nuts I never put the cotter pin in until I have torqued and re-checked it.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudpump wrote:
On axle nuts I never put the cotter pin in until I have torqued and re-checked it.

Because you can't torque and check with the cotter pin installed !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudpump wrote:

But also look at getting a system when you tighten the lugs. I always go around the car a second time rechecking all the lugs.

Exactly! Also use a real torque wrench to make sure the lug bolts are evenly and at proper amount, not by how much you can jump on the lug wrench. Then good to pull over about 1 to 5 miles later to re-check torque again.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't just have a powdercoating job done did you?

There is an adage on here about that very thing happening after getting your wheels powdercoated, although I'm still not quite sure I buy it.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Sweetee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
You didn't just have a powdercoating job done did you?

There is an adage on here about that very thing happening after getting your wheels powdercoated, although I'm still not quite sure I buy it.

Nope, no powder coating. I did lay about 6 coats of Krylon semi-gloss on the luggage rack, but nothing done to the wheels. I did break a mirror yesterday. Rolling Eyes

Maybe I just didn't do the same careful tightening on that wheel. I do remember it was the last one mounted after doing the brake-bleed and adjustment.

All in all, it was a minor incident. A minor fender wrinkle can be cared for easily. I have a new level of paranoia instilled in me and as my wife says, "If this is the worst that happens today, it isn't all that bad!" Smile

This may be the incentive to get on with finding a new set of matching wheels and replacing the weather-cracked tires. I talked to "my guy" at my Chrysler Fiat dealership and he said he'd do the alignment and recenter my steering wheel. This, ultimately, is a good step in the right direction.

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions.
My first experience with a VW Beetle was 1966 when I was 16 and my older brother took me out driving in a snow storm to teach me how to drive a stick. Now that I'm retired and have the time, I hope to while away my time "playing" with "my new Bug!"
Mudpump
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Mudpump wrote:
On axle nuts I never put the cotter pin in until I have torqued and re-checked it.

Because you can't torque and check with the cotter pin installed !!!

Rolling Eyes duh
mikeonthebike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe someone was going to steal your wheels and that is as far as they got before something spooked them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sweetee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeonthebike wrote:
Maybe someone was going to steal your wheels and that is as far as they got before something spooked them.

If somebody wanted them I'd be shocked. I believe mine is the only bug in town and the wheels are "rough." Just out of curiosity, what other cars do 4 bolt vw wheels fit?
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try putting that wheel back on and see if the lugs tighten ok on the cone part of the lug. There is some damage to the wheel holes but it might tighten ok. The lugs must tighten on the wheel holes on the taper/cone section of the lug. There's a faint chance the holes will be off centre now so listen/feel for any wheel shake. After driving a few miles , re-tighten the lugs as the damaged holes at have "settled".

It would be very unlikely that a single loose lug nut would cause all 4to work loose, so it's most likely they were all loosened or left un-tightened.

I once had both double wheels come off on a single axle car carrier trailer with 6 cars on board. The 5 bolts holding the wheel wedges to the spider (spokes) had worked loose. 100kmh at night. Trailer stayed upright and I only knew I had a problem because the spider was rumbling on the road like driving on a ripple strip. Had to stay on the side of the road all night until the owner brought replacement wheels, spider and brake drum 300km from base. Old old Louisville truck and trailer always had things going wrong. Found both wheels about 200 meters into a waist high wheat field next morning. They had both bounced 7 times in a diminishing spiral.
http://www.vw-resource.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you are safe ans so is the vehicle, whatever happened.
Double check your work I suppose. Forget the beer until job is complete.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently broke a rusted bolt loose on a (non-vw) piece of shit car I use sometimes, by loosening the other three bolts and taking it out for a spin and giving that wheel a lot of abuse - potholes, kerbs and heavy braking. Took a lot to loosen it. Yours must have all been loose. Perhaps your wife did it - have you been unbearable recently? Laughing

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Sweetee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volks Wagen wrote:
I recently broke a rusted bolt loose on a (non-vw) piece of shit car I use sometimes, by loosening the other three bolts and taking it out for a spin and giving that wheel a lot of abuse - potholes, kerbs and heavy braking. Took a lot to loosen it. Yours must have all been loose. Perhaps your wife did it - have you been unbearable recently? Laughing

The thought didn't cross my mind, but then again, some would think I'm unbearable most of the time! Very Happy
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only natural to think someone else may of messed with it, considering you had recently had the wheels off, chances are that you got distracted with all you were doing and just missed this wheel. It happens more than many folks like to admit to. You could have even torqued them but if the wheel may not be completely seated, they would have loosened pretty quick as soon as it was back on the street. As previously noted, that is why it's always good practice to take it for a quick spin then check the wheels again.

As for the wheels, they look like original Empi Spring Stars, instead of selling, I'd consider having them restored. Talk to Anthony at ISP West in Cali [http://www.vwispwest.com]. I have a buddy had his done and they looked fantastic.

-jeffrey
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I aver there is not a pile of your lug bolts somewhere- there's a trail of them.
You didn't notice the first one. Then if the second was opposite the first- you didn't notice that one either. It was the last two that went from bad to worse in seconds. If you walked back- you'd find two bolts close together and a good distance to the first couple. I'd take the rim to a machine shop and have it trued and scrutinized before reusing- no matter how good it looks.

Those holes are mushroomed now- and each one is slightly different in damage because the stress on them was progressively worse as bolt one to four dropped off.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: