Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

water pump life span...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
piruvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: water pump life span... Reply with quote

I replaced the water pump in 2010. Almost 5 years ago to the month. A volks shop in Santa Cruz did it while I was on a road trip. I never asked which brand part they used. That pump gave me 5 years and about 30,000 miles. Now the bearings are toast (it's noisy) and I can wiggle the pulley a little. No leaks yet. Is that an average life span for this part? Water pumps in my Honda never wear out.
eeebee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The life span of water pumps is highly variable. It is one of the known issues with replacement parts for our vans.

Van Cafe is pretty good about using the best they can find.

1987 Vanagon Wolfsburg Special Edition
GoWesty 2.3

Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poorly adjusted belts, Misaligned pulley's and old coolant can help kill pumps early. Some are made poorly, some expertly. Some expertly made ones fail early cause they where made wrong, some poorly made ones last a long time cause they got lucky making that one pump.

You always get what you pay for sometimes. Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: water pump Reply with quote

GW put a new one in my Syncro, 9 years ago. 60,000 miles went out like yours. Went with Van Cafe, great looking part. Fun to put in, no. So the life of a VW water pump is not great! Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest key to longevity is using OE parts.

Buying aftermarket , who knows where it came from is sketchy at best, for looking into that Crystal ball and calling out how long that made in Bombay pump will function.
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the Vanagon water pumps are NLA from VW..no longer available. I have good service from my Hepu (knock on wood). About $58 from FCP Euro..lifetime (your lifetime, not the Vanagon's) warranty and free shipping.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanCafe has German pumps on sale. Strongly consider the oil cooler hose kit too as there is no better time to change those little PITA hoses than while the pump is out.

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_99_681/water-pump-2.1l.html

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_369_673/oil-cooler-hose-kit-86-91.html

Mark
piruvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been pretty lax about changing my coolant. I've lost some during repairs...added some, many times over the last 5 years but never done a complete flush. I wonder how likely that contributed to the pump going bust after 30,000 miles? I've always been careful never to over tighten the belt.

Oh well. Guess I'll find out what brand it is when it comes off.
Vanagator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah well..my 4.5 yr old Go westy pump ($75 at the time) just started dripping and will need replacement. Not a very long life.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piru,

By adding some here and there it helps to refresh the coolants additive package and also the PH is helped. But no substitute for a full flush. However, bearing failure is not caused by old coolant. Substandard parts/lube/misalignment, etc.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my Westy Weekender new in 1986. The first water pump went 80,000 miles. It was then replaced at the dealer and lasted 54,000 miles. I then replaced it with a Hepu from Van Cafe and it just went bad again, after five years, but only 20,000 miles. I installed the last pump myself, but I have been well aware of not over tightening the belt, so whenever it has gone into a shop I have asked them to check that the belt is not too tight. They have always told me it was OK.

I just received a new Hepu pump from VC and had a mechanic look at it. He told me it looks fine and should be a good pump. I'm going to install it today.

There is supposed to be 1/2" deflection in the fan belt. My question is; At what pressure, and is there a tool to measure that pressure? It seems that you can get 1/2" deflection if you just press hard enough no matter how much the belt is tightened. I'm going to stop by a tool shop and ask them, but I need to know what the pressure is thats supposed to give me that 1/2" deflection.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm remembering right, the alternator and water pump are the same belt. On the WBX, pushing on the belt flexes the alternator bracket as well, which can skew the feel of belt tightness. There is a common tool that is used to specifically test for tightness. Many auto parts stores can get one and may stock it.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
If I'm remembering right, the alternator and water pump are the same belt. On the WBX, pushing on the belt flexes the alternator bracket as well, which can skew the feel of belt tightness. There is a common tool that is used to specifically test for tightness. Many auto parts stores can get one and may stock it.

So is there a a specific amount of pressure to set the belt at? I'll look for a tool.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
The biggest key to longevity is using OE parts.

Buying aftermarket , who knows where it came from is sketchy at best, for looking into that Crystal ball and calling out how long that made in Bombay pump will function.

That is not always true, some times aftermarket parts are superior to OE parts. Any "professional" should know that.

Case in point, van cafe's metal thermostat housing is superior to the OE one. Aftermarket metal coolant pipes are superior to OE plastic pipes. The list could go on.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Dana Champion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been wanting to replace the water pump on my '88 Westy. I've had it for ten + years; no service records. The pump has not shown any signs, but thinking it's a good idea because of its potential age. Buying the best pump, is paramount, if that's possible.Thought Hepu, but seems kinda hit and miss Question

I replaced all the drive belts last year or so, being careful not to overtighten, especially the water pump, alternator belt. If the belt is not tight enough, you get a little squeal, at idle, once in a while. Mad not fun when that happens. Seems like a fine line between the two.

Love My Westy- please get back to us with your pump install. Curious on the whole process. Hope it goes smoothly.

Thanks,
Dana

Last edited by Dana Champion on Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion was pertaining to LSQ replacement parts.
Plastic to metal pipes, plastic to metal thermostat housing is in no way shape or form on the same page or in the same book for that matter.
Now you talking about updates--Apples & Dirt, Banana's & Hurricanes.

I'm talking about a direct replacement where OE part is the best deal for the long haul.

Show me an updated OEM HD water pump that's available.
There isn't.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

piruvan wrote:
I've been pretty lax about changing my coolant. I've lost some during repairs...added some, many times over the last 5 years but never done a complete flush. I wonder how likely that contributed to the pump going bust after 30,000 miles? I've always been careful never to over tighten the belt.

Oh well. Guess I'll find out what brand it is when it comes off.

a little rust, some other particles in the fluid and soon you have an abrasive fluid, gets between the seals and leak happens, bearing can wear.

On my last pump the impeller was eroded away to a large extent, no leaks, but it likely was not pumping too well.

for belt tightness, the deflection is listed for light / moderate thumb pressure on the belt, not too reproducible, but VW has been doing that for decades, my old air cooled bugs had the fan belt adjusted that way per the factory manual, they recommended the good ole thumb pressure test for belt deflection.

better to go a little on the loose side, if it slips too much you will be aware of it by noise, or reduced alternator output. Also a really old belt will slip more readily than a new one (rubber becomes harder, not as sticky, and an oil soaked belt will also slip more) which means they have to be tightened more to reduce slip than a fresh clean belt. note a new belt may stretch some at first, so best to re-check belt tension on a new belt after a few 100 miles to account for initial stretching.

so you can get away with looser belts if they are new and clean.

note my alternator did fail, at 178K miles, the bearing was going out, it still worked, but had lots of play. maybe it had a history of over tight belts, or maybe it was just time for the bearing to dry up and die.

bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
My suggestion was pertaining to LSQ replacement parts.
Plastic to metal pipes, plastic to metal thermostat housing is in no way shape or form on the same page or in the same book for that matter.
Now you talking about updates--Apples & Dirt, Banana's & Hurricanes.

I'm talking about a direct replacement where OE part is the best deal for the long haul.

Show me an updated OEM HD water pump that's available.
There isn't.

So some aftermarket stuff is superior to original stuff, but you don't want to count that for that would contradict your statement, so you disallow the replacement parts for consideration to your statement because they are made better than original, and are considered an upgrade, not a replacement part.
With the criteria that you eliminate all upgraded or improved parts from your blanket statement that no aftermarket parts are better than OE simply because they are made better than OE, thus no parts are better than OE.

what logic, a self fulfilled prophesy. Laughing Laughing Laughing

twisted logic Mr. kay, very twisted. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

PS That van café thermostat housing is a direct replacement.

Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did ask you straight up--

Give me a name , purveyor, manufacture, distributor of a heavy duty water pump
Just one, that will outperform a stock VW OE pump.

Not sure what all the bloviating is all about, but as far as I know all that is available is aftermarket or genuine issue standard duty pumps.

Perhaps you got something up your sleeve that nobody else knows about.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
I did ask you straight up--

Give me a name , purveyor, manufacture, distributor of a heavy duty water pump
Just one, that will outperform a stock VW OE pump.

Not sure what all the bloviating is all about, but as far as I know all that is available is aftermarket or genuine issue standard duty pumps.

Perhaps you got something up your sleeve that nobody else knows about.

Oh you asked me straight up huh??? first off no matter how it is answered, it does not prove nor disprove your blanket statement which is the crux of the matter...."The biggest key to longevity is using OE parts." This is the statement which I dispute.

Secondly you have changed the question you have asked between now and when you first asked it.

1st time you asked..."Show me an updated OEM HD water pump that's available."

2nd time you asked... "Give me a name , purveyor, manufacture, distributor of a heavy duty water pump
Just one, that will outperform a stock VW OE pump."

I will answer the most current (newest) version of your question.

Please link...

LINK... http://www.summitracing.com/search/Part-Type/Water-Pumps-Electrical/

As you can see Summit Racing offers many water pumps that would be considered able to outperform the stock VW OE water pump.

Since I have showed you that such a pump exists, is the question now settled that your statement is not always true???

One more point to make about your statement I dispute......."The biggest key to longevity is using OE parts.". I would say in some cases a bigger key to longevity is antifreeze condition/contamination, and belt tension in the case of the water pump.

The OE stock pump can in some cases have much lower longevity than a given aftermarket pump if the stock one is exposed to corrosive gritty fluid and over tensioned belt, verses the aftermarket pump that is supplied with good fresh fluid, and proper belt tension. So your wrong on a second count in regards to the longevity be mostly determined by type of pump rather than now it is maintained.

You have in your statement concluded that no aftermarket parts or non OE parts for that matter can be made with a greater longevity than the Original Equipment part. That statement fails any reasoning, as there is no reason at all, no limitation that a non-OE part could not be made with greater longevity than OE parts.

Wrong on two counts with that statement in my opinion, but then again I am neither an astute chemist nor one of the only two body work guys that knows what is going on as you claim to be.

Any more questions for me kay?????

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: