Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New computer advise
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: New computer advise Reply with quote

I have always used HP computers, and every 4-5 years have worn mine out and purchased a new one. It's time to get a new computer and looking for suggestions for a home unit. Sam's has a nice model for $500 that is plenty for my simple needs. Is it normal to replace a computer every 4-5 years?

Not interested in a laptop.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had three or four in a decade... so, yeah... Sad
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT professional here. Our computers have a 4 year life span at my job. I build my home computer to last 5 years before becoming outdated.

If your needs are simple and less than gaming, yes you can get some cheap computers. What software are you using for your LM1 hookups?

I will always recommend a tower PC because some parts will outlast others. I hate HP, but that's me. Desktops will outlast laptops, but laptops are more convenient to use on your OBD1 Wink

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of years ago I would have said "get a Mac" since they've always lasted longer and been more reliable than Windows-based computers.
The one I'm using now is from 2011 and the one I had before that was from 2003.
However, Apple now seems to be ignoring their computer customers to concentrate on phones and trinkets. My OS is fast becoming obsolete and I won't be able to upgrade it on my current hardware. I don't want to get a new machine but that's the way it goes and why I had to go from a Mac Pro to a Mac Mini; my machine ran fine but it wouldn't run the new software.
The new OS's and associated software is going more Cloud-based - which I'm not a fan of. I'm going to hold out for as long as I can!
I can almost foresee the day when I no longer own a computer! Shocked

...get an iMac! Laughing

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Mac after using HP for a decade or more at home, 25 years at work.

But HP turned me off. Here's how.

They claimed to use "industry standard hardware" which implies it can be cheaply repaired or upgraded, but they don't. When the hard drive failed, I thought I could buy the "industry standard" replacement. That would have been $150.

But... no. HP puts code identifiers on their HDs and their motherboards look for it, and refuse to boot with this "industry standard" drive which lacks the special code. They wanted me to buy THEIR version of the same disc, made by the same manufacturer, but for which they charged $600.

Oh, and Windows would not recognize it anyway, and I'd have to buy a new OS, too.

Refusing to be a$$-raped, I went to Best Buy and bought an Apple. I've never looked back. If I'm going to pay "Apple prices" for "proprietary hardware" then I'm getting genuine Apple hardware, service, and reliability.

HP outsourced their PC work and it's cheap junk now. Thank the #2 Republican candidate for this change in market strategy. How's that working out for ya, HP?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this d830 latatude dell refurbished off flebay for about 140. Im not going to spend good money on stuff that is out dated in a few months,it's totaly updated new ms programs with lisence , 2 or 3 year warranty. It like new. discount computer depot. I think they get them off leese or something like that.cant tell it from a new one. wish we had done this for my kid when she went off the school instead of the $1500 one. check out thier site and decide for your self. computers are like beer, feals good for a little while.. then it's outdated&pissed down the drain and time for a new one soon.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Costco doubles the manufacturer warranty, and is great about exchanging if you have "infant mortality" failures. You don't get much choice or customization, but it can be a good, safe deal if they offer one you want.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the switch to Mac and you'll never look back. I've used them since 1992 and have only had one fail which was a capacitor problem in that model imac from several years ago. I think saying that in 24 years I've had one failure says a lot. I'm including myself, my three kids, and my in-laws who have owned many different desk top Macs as well as lap tops and iPads. iPhones don't count but we've also had great luck with them as well.

I work for a major corporation and we use Dell desk tops. For us, that requires a huge IT department to keep them running and they still run like crap.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were PC for 25 years, both home and work. After the last Dell desktop died in less than 3 years (and our average life for PCs was a bit under 4 years) we went with a MacBook. Yes there are quirks but we are so happy. The Macbook has been with us for over 3 years and NOTHING has gone wrong.
And - most importantly - when you call in for help you get:
a. a person based in the US
b. whose primarily language is English, and
c. is happy to spend hours with you (if necessary) to take care of your problem.
They are pricey compared to going to Staples or Costco and getting a high level PC. If I were more digitally adept I would consider a new PC, but I am not so skilled. We have the Macbook, an iPad and iPhones. We are quite pleased.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Computer hardware does wear out and fail, but until its dead you wouldn't notice.
The operating system, on the other hand, crufts up with age and sloooows down.
All makes and models suffer from this, just have to reload it occasionally.

I think Windows suffers from this a little worse than some other OS's, but it happens to all of them.

tbh I'd be surprised if your HP didn't perk up with a fresh, clean Windows install (not off the HP disks if you can help it). Five years old would be late Intel Core2 Duo / early i* series (haven't kept up with AMD, but their equivs are fine); and again, depending what you're doing with it, those are still very capable. May want an extra stick of ram or two, maybe an SSD, but otherwise...

/shrug.

As far as new, depends what your use case is.
ie, for something to check email / theSamba a $150 chromebox would work fine.
If you have Windows-only programs you need it wouldn't.

Apple has made a good product. I got most of my family running macs (3x Mini's and a Macbook Pro) and they just work, no problems in 5 years.
I did upgrade the ram and they've gotten the OS X versions (as clean installs) as they came out.
My brothers have managed to hose their Windows installs a few times, but no issues with OS X.

I've got a 2010 Mac Pro tower that's still strong enough I'm not considering replacing it anytime soon (and I use it for gaming, dual boot OS X and Win 7). It was a stupid expensive computer new though, so I'd hope it'd last at least a couple generations.
(as a side note, the "bootcamp" program Apple includes makes installing Windows on your mac along side OS X very easy. And I believe the Apple store will install it for you (for free) if you bring them a legit Windows install disk)

I am a little disappointed in Apple's current direction with their computers, with them soldering the ram directly to the logicboard and using non-standard sized ssd sticks.
Not to mention the trashcan that is the new Mac Pro. I'm sure it's a well designed trashcan, but the case design they'd been using since the G5 era was awesome.

KTPhil - got a link for that? I'm curious. Assuming that's with some server parts?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Larry, your post gives the impression that if you own a Mac you'll be spending a lot of time on the phone with their tech support. For me, I don't think I've had to call them in over 20 years, maybe longer. My in-laws got their first iMac around the year 2000 and I did spend some time helping them but that was because they had never used ANY computer before so it was very foreign to them but it wasn't a Mac problem. Now, my FIL is 82 and on his third iMac (the second one was stolen) and he does everything himself and I never hear of any problems. As far as your laptop goes I just want to say that my oldest son still uses his and it's 12 years old. My daughters is about 8 years old and still works. They've only needed their batteries replaced.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention the trashcan that is the new Mac Pro

Please explain this. What new trash can?
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Not to mention the trashcan that is the new Mac Pro

Please explain this. What new trash can?

This - (link)
http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/

Compared to the 2012 model - (link)

It feels like a step backwards, and they didn't lower the price any.
Infact, the current starting price is $2,999. I want to say you could get a low-end Mac Pro previously for ~$1,800. Not cheap by any means, but eh.....

Just the ram is upgradable in the new Mac Pro (I guess, at least, they're not soldering it in like they are every other model).
Any expansion storage has to be done with external drives, and the new ssd is a custom stick.
Also, if you were careful in your selection, you could upgrade the graphics card of the old Pro's. Not so much now.

It's a kinda neat bit of engineering, but otherwise... /shrug.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Actually Larry, your post gives the impression that if you own a Mac you'll be spending a lot of time on the phone with their tech support. For me, I don't think I've had to call them in over 20 years, maybe longer. My in-laws got their first iMac around the year 2000 and I did spend some time helping them but that was because they had never used ANY computer before so it was very foreign to them but it wasn't a Mac problem. Now, my FIL is 82 and on his third iMac (the second one was stolen) and he does everything himself and I never hear of any problems. As far as your laptop goes I just want to say that my oldest son still uses his and it's 12 years old. My daughters is about 8 years old and still works. They've only needed their batteries replaced.

I did spend time on the phone with them when I first got the machine but that was primarily because my PC laptop was so dead that Apple was not able to do their complementary transfer of all the data from the old machine to the new machine. As I said I'm not digitally adept and wanted to try to get this done on my own without calling my tech support team a.k.a. my children. My longest single phone call with Apple was no more then 30 minutes but there was never a push to hang up the call.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, everyone is different. I use my computer for email, pictures, word processing, and maybe a few other things that don't require much computing power. An iMac with 8 gigs of ram is more than I require. That said, some people do movie editing or even animation. In those cases you might want a $3,000 computer or maybe even a $10,000 computer but out of the whole home computer market, most people are more like me. That means a $1300 desktop is fine.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
TheAmazingDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm preferring Dell right now. Good warranty service, and their more premium products are built well. My workhorse is a 2011-vintage Latitude E6530. The thing's a tank. Only thing wrong is the original battery stopped holding a useful charge last year. Other than that, I've upgraded RAM capacity, and added an SSD primary drive, and the system is blazing quick and should last a few more years at least for the work I do on it.

As an IT pro supporting small businesses, my general rule for purchasing a new basic system that is future-proofed:

1. AT LEAST an Intel i5 processor, stay away from the i3.
2. 8GB RAM, although 4 is standard right now, that's starting to get tight with today's computing.
3. SSD drive for longevity, speed is just a wonderful bonus.
4. Windows 7 if you're not ready for the new stuff; you can move to Windows 10 for free until July 2016
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I looked it up once and Dell and Apple were both the highest rated for hardware quality
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago I bought 2 ASUS laptops, both had and continue to have problems, despite having virus protection & service plans (which I purchased thankfully as it replaced one of the machines that died). The other day the guy at geek squad at BEST wanted to sell me yet another 3 year protection plan for another $349.

I vowed no more for me a few years ago so I bought a MacBook air. I asked, "do I need to get some kind of virus protection software for this?" Salesman basically shrugged me off "nope" and I haven't had any issues with it at all, works great.

My 2 bits.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Sony Vaio laptop at work that is 8 years old. I replaced the screen once. I use it for all my business needs, banking, shipping and all the cool Microsoft software. Never had an issue, never had a bug since I don't go on social media (closest thing is the Samba) At home, I have the newer version of the same 17" laptop with the same positive results. I know I'll be in the same position as you when either one breaks down.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
TheAmazingDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You definitely need malware protection on a Mac. Don't buy in to that hype please.

Asus and Acer are certainly brands to avoid.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: