Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Megasquirt 2 system assembly and installation
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Megasquirt 2 system assembly and installation Reply with quote

I run a Bosch pump from a 94 Volvo 940 turbo which is supposed to be 230 hp.
The inlet on the pump is 1/2 inch and the outlet is 1/4 inch. I don't think the size really matters much at 43 lbs.
Unless you are planning on more than 300 hp.
I also use the 32# injectors from that car.

You can't beat the OEM Bosch pumps for reliability.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Megasquirt 2 system assembly and installation Reply with quote

Im really getting an education with this install, crash course style. Here is the relay board in, unit wired, grounded, and powered up.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I went through the sensor calibration pretty effortlessly, and everything works as it should, so I'm pretty stoked! Pulled the fuses for spark and fuel so that I could spin it to check crank signal. N-N-N-N-Clunk, N-N-N-N-CLUNK. What the hell? Something catching at between 20º and 30º BDC. Pulled the plugs, rockers, belt, no change. Pulled the motor and found the balance weight here

was tagging the cross shaft bushing here

I ground off the weight and made a new one to mount under the bolt, accounting for the additional distance from center. Back together and into the car, spun and no crank signal. Went back though the hardware manual, and realized when I soldered the board I left the jumpers out, as I wasn't sure if I was using a Hall or VR sensor. There are two jumpers to position, and without them the MS won't read anything. Here's one, the copper bit just to the right of the "GRIPPO" text

And just like that, when I spin it the crank signal shows up

Just waiting on one more thing to fire it up, some injector o-rings. I have a small weep on two of the injectors at the fuel rail, and I think the bore in the rail is a bit big. Or the current o-rings are too small, or poor quality. Anyway, I ordered some 14.5mm seals from here
http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/electrical-connectors/
as I read that the extra .5mm is a fix for the sloppy fit, we'll see. The hardest part right now is not starting something else while the car is on the lift and I wait for parts.. I want to drive this thing.
SD
andy198712
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Megasquirt 2 system assembly and installation Reply with quote

Nice one, it's getting there!
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Megasquirt 2 system assembly and installation Reply with quote

No time to mess with it till tonight. First thing I did was check the timing, to make sure what the MS was reading as TDC was actually TDC. I've gotta hand it to Mario from Dubshop, his instructions for installing the trigger wheel are great, and the timing was spot on! I primed up the oil system, installed the fuses, and gave it a whirl. No luck. I remembered being confused by the wiring for the two coil channels and switching them, and tried switching them back. Bingo, it fired right up and runs well.
After getting a belt on it, and dropping the idle to around 1000rpm, I checked it out. Good oil pressure, zero leaks, no bad sounds or vibrations..
Of course now I have to put the car back together and learn how to tune this thing. There are a few things to work out though: The fuel relay, it is cycling on and off very quickly, it's essentially buzzing. The pump pumps, and the fuel flows, but it doesn't seem right. Am I onto something? Or leave it be? And the system won't shut down with the key. That I can probably figure pretty quickly. My charging system is the suspect, as it shuts off when the engine isn't running, but once it's running it stays running. I've known something wasn't right for a while, looks like now is the time to sort it..
SD
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Megasquirt 2 system assembly and installation Reply with quote

Link
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Megasquirt 2 system assembly and installation Reply with quote

Link
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Megasquirt 2 system assembly and installation Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Megasquirt 2 system assembly and installation Reply with quote

Bravo!

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Megasquirt 2 system assembly and installation Reply with quote

Engine run on can be solved with a diode in the alternator light circuit. It's a trick common with cars with MSD systems. There is documentation from MSD regarding it. Google it for better info.
andy198712
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Megasquirt 2 system assembly and installation Reply with quote

Chip B. wrote:
Engine run on can be solved with a diode in the alternator light circuit. It's a trick common with cars with MSD systems. There is documentation from MSD regarding it. Google it for better info.

yep my alternator swap did this, snipped the blue wire to the GEN light under the dash, soldered in a diode with the band facing the regulator, NOT facing the light. and then low and behold it worked fine Smile

Test it by when you turn off the key and it keeps running, pull the GEN light wire off and if it kills it, thats your issue
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Megasquirt 2 system assembly and installation Reply with quote

So, what was the rating on the diode that you used? As it's just a blocking diode on a small warning light I'm not sure how to size it.
63single
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Megasquirt 2 system assembly and installation Reply with quote

Some good info. here.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327901&start=0
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Megasquirt 2 system assembly and installation Reply with quote

63single wrote:
Some good info. here.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327901&start=0

that does sound like it, thanks!
Of course radio shack is out of business, I'll have to make a few calls tomorrow
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Megasquirt 2 system assembly and installation Reply with quote

I rummaged through the box of leftover bits from building the megasquirt board, and found these

Maybe Mario will chime in and tell me if they were in fact supposed to be "leftover", but I suspect they are. Anyway, I'm going to install it tomorrow night, probably at the idiot light end and not the alternator end.
Mario chimed in on the MS/facebook page, and clued me in to the fact that it was my fast idle relay making the buzzing, not the rule pump relay. I'll have to turn that off as there is no stepper motor or fast idle valve..
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Megasquirt 2 system assembly and installation Reply with quote

The diode solved the shut down issue. I soldered it directly to the bulb holder, and put a male spade connector on it, and covered it with some shrink wrap. Easy. The buzzing was the fast idle relay, which I removed and turned off in tuner studio. Engine seems to run well, but a cooler seal leak (ugh), and lazy alternator will get fixed before driving.
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Megasquirt 2 system assembly and installation Reply with quote

Lazy alt? I just noticed recently that John at AC.net sells an uprated regulator for these alternators that may help

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
andy198712
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Megasquirt 2 system assembly and installation Reply with quote

esde wrote:
The diode solved the shut down issue. I soldered it directly to the bulb holder, and put a male spade connector on it, and covered it with some shrink wrap. Easy. The buzzing was the fast idle relay, which I removed and turned off in tuner studio. Engine seems to run well, but a cooler seal leak (ugh), and lazy alternator will get fixed before driving.

Cool about the engine turning off!
Mavelotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Megasquirt 2 system assembly and installation Reply with quote

Nice work sir, you have been hard at it for awhile now. Sounds great already!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Megasquirt 2 system assembly and installation Reply with quote

First test drive, around the block twice.
the cars a damned missile now Shocked
I pulled back into the shop to track down a buzzing sound, maybe the fan. Somethings up with one of my carb linkage rods, so I'll swap on some spares.
But damned, coming back under the highway, where I can hear it really well in the tunnel (and nobody is walking or parked ever) I rolled into the throttle in first, the engine comes on hard and breaks the tires loose. Second time around, tried it in second gear, same result. Acceleration is amazing. Engine falls back to a tick tick tick idle. And this is just on the base tune.
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Megasquirt 2 system assembly and installation Reply with quote

What is the rest of your combo?
Displacement, heads, cam ect.
Good to hear that things are starting to work out!

Just wondering what to expect from my ms project.
2387 and a fk10, ported 050 heads.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: