Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Megasquirt 2 system assembly and installation
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gprudenciop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

double post
Mavelotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your another person who could use these EFI manifolds I'm working on! I'm always a day late and a dollar short... Nice work so far Seth!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mario, I've watched your progress designing and prototyping those with great interest, no doubt they fill a void in the market. I just bought a set of the offset manifolds with injector mounts, so I'm good. Or at least I hope I am.
Question: what retains the injectors and fuel rail on the CB offset manifolds? I see no tapped hole or provision.
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally they are supplied with an extended stud and extra nuts, with a small bar of aluminium that pushes the rail down onto the injectors, I'll have a look and see if I have pics of mine

Actually scratch that I just saw your inj are mounted on the TB's, mine are inboard of the manifolds, so.........not sure how they are retained

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

66brm, I was originally going to mount the injectors in the throttle bodies, so I wouldn't have to lose the match ported manifolds that I have. But, when I mocked it up, the slightly wider engine puts one fuel rail right against the body. I'm not comfortable with the small chance that some wheel hop could result in a high pressure fuel leak, so I stepped up to the manifolds with the inboard injector mounts. Might have a try copying the port matching that Tims did on the original manifolds.

I had to shave .5mm off the outside of the generation 3 injectors for them to seat into the manifolds. The fuel rails I had from something, and there are hold down brackets with them, but nowhere to cinch them down. Scoured the CB box, I found the mounts studs and gaskets, but nothing to help me out. If nobody has a picture of what's supposed to be I'll ping CB or Mario to ask.
SD
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.noh2o.org/viewtopic.php?t=1255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=120

Down the page a bit is a pic of my engine with inboard injectors. The right one has the retaining tab, click on the pic for a bigger view

modok wrote:
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! OK, I can make that happen, it's about as simple as it gets huh?
Is that a valve on the drivers side rail for checking pressure?
Mavelotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esde wrote:
Question: what retains the injectors and fuel rail on the CB offset manifolds? I see no tapped hole or provision.

Here is CB's solution

Here is my solution

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah its just a shrader valve tapped into a 1/8 npt thread, I've been thinking of putting a gauge there to monitor rail pressure (oh and that's the passenger side Wink )

modok wrote:
Singerdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos on the FI setup esde, one day Perhaps... Right now my carbs are new and the next 3 year's budget is already spent... Wink
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Megasquirt 2 system assembly and installation Reply with quote

Slow progress, as I've got 10 projects in the fire at once. And the engine was apart, so I had no way of going any farther with the wiring harness. But, finally stuff is happening again.
So, I did have a shot at porting the intake manifolds to match the Tims stage 2 heads

It went pretty smoothly after I got some fresh carbide burrs and a few 60 grit tapered cartridge rolls. Still a little touch up to go, but it matches the heads pretty closely
Spent some time getting the pickup for the trigger wheel mounted. Here I tried to mount the pickup behind the bracket, but then I had to slide it way out to meet the pulley, and it was barely under the nut.

So I flipped the pickup to the front of the bracket. It's adjustable, but I had to trim the back of the bracket so it would sit closer to the case. If I had taken a deeper cut out of the pulley for the trigger wheel there would've been more room. But, sinking the wheel deeper in the pulley also limits the thread of the screws that fasten the wheel. I played it safe.

And got on to the wiring harness
I had assembled the wires to their plugs previously. Next was to route them, so I mocked up each side of the engine.

The CB short manifolds don't make it easy, this wire has to sneak out through the middle of the manifold

And the when the lengths were good, feed it through some larger loom, and shrink wrap the ends.

I've held off on the other side, as I'm not 100% on my coil location. Pretty sure that top center of the rear of the shroud, (front actually Rolling Eyes ) as it's just out of sight, but I'll be able to reach the wires.
Also contemplating a bulkhead plug, to disconnect the whole harness, but not sure I feel like crimping another 40-50 connections. We'll see, it would maybe be a convenience, but I certainly don't need it.
SD
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Megasquirt 2 system assembly and installation Reply with quote

Time for a little advice. I had the intention of switching from the scat doghouse shroud to a stock doghouse, and installing a larger type 4 oil cooler. Here it is, in all of it's filthy glory. Bonus, the new sidewinder header clears the thermostat so I can hook the flaps up too..

a peek at how much larger the type 4 cooler is

I have seen first hand the drop in oil temperature when switching back to an original factory doghouse shroud, and when using the larger type 4 cooler. So I'm confident it will help to keep the temps in check, before it was right on the edge..
Of course this has nothing to do with the fuel injection installation except for this

So, the fuel rail and shroud want to occupy the same space. Kind of a bummer, but I'm already planning to modify the shroud to make it work. Wink
I'm not running heat (car has a gas heater for when I need to defog the windows) so the plan is to cut and cap the left and right outlets. Then I will trim the protruding corners. Imagine a cut line along the cardboard I've held up here

One each side of the shroud, the farthest vane feeds the heater box outlet. As long as I open this vane back to the cylinder head (on each side) I won't have any air fighting a dead end, and have full cooling.
So, what am I missing? Is this the long way about it, or is there a better shroud option?
SD
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Megasquirt 2 system assembly and installation Reply with quote

esde wrote:
Slow progress, as I've got 10 projects in the fire at once. And the engine was apart, so I had no way of going any farther with the wiring harness. But, finally stuff is happening again.
So, I did have a shot at porting the intake manifolds to match the Tims stage 2 heads

It went pretty smoothly after I got some fresh carbide burrs and a few 60 grit tapered cartridge rolls. Still a little touch up to go, but it matches the heads pretty closely
Spent some time getting the pickup for the trigger wheel mounted. Here I tried to mount the pickup behind the bracket, but then I had to slide it way out to meet the pulley, and it was barely under the nut.

So I flipped the pickup to the front of the bracket. It's adjustable, but I had to trim the back of the bracket so it would sit closer to the case. If I had taken a deeper cut out of the pulley for the trigger wheel there would've been more room. But, sinking the wheel deeper in the pulley also limits the thread of the screws that fasten the wheel. I played it safe.

And got on to the wiring harness
I had assembled the wires to their plugs previously. Next was to route them, so I mocked up each side of the engine.

The CB short manifolds don't make it easy, this wire has to sneak out through the middle of the manifold

And the when the lengths were good, feed it through some larger loom, and shrink wrap the ends.

I've held off on the other side, as I'm not 100% on my coil location. Pretty sure that top center of the rear of the shroud, (front actually Rolling Eyes ) as it's just out of sight, but I'll be able to reach the wires.
Also contemplating a bulkhead plug, to disconnect the whole harness, but not sure I feel like crimping another 40-50 connections. We'll see, it would maybe be a convenience, but I certainly don't need it.
SD

If I remember correctly some have trimmed the bottom of the two ends of the fuel rail at a 45 degree to give enough room for the plugs to connect to the injectors so they are parallel with the fuel rail....if you can understand what I mean.

If you look at Mario's pic in your thread you can see with his endpieces the injectors are turned and have clearance.

It might be easier to get his endpieces otherwise instead of butchering a shroud.

I'm pretty sure there is enough meat on the CB rails to trim enough to get them turned.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Megasquirt 2 system assembly and installation Reply with quote

Clonebug, no doubt the other manifolds and/or rails would solve the issue. It seems that every picture of the cb manifolds with inboard injectors is using a 36hp style shroud, now I know why. But I already have these, and a small pile of doghouse shrouds to work with. So, I'll see if there's another way..
Honestly doesn't seem like much work, and I'm already committed to welding a shroud for the larger cooler, so..
Probably get started on it tomorrow when the family is out.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Megasquirt 2 system assembly and installation Reply with quote

I would bet you would only have to take a little bit off those fuel rails to make enough clearance.
If you did that you wouldn't have to run that injector wire between the intake manifold forcing you to pull a TB in order to remove the wiring.

I don't know how much time I spent trying to route my wires so I could remove it without disassembling half the engine to get it out........ Embarassed Rolling Eyes

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Megasquirt 2 system assembly and installation Reply with quote

Ok, I went down to my bench, and see what you are talking about. Trimming the end of the rail will probably allow me to swing that injector to the rear and make the connector access easier. Thanks for the tip. However, the shroud still needs to be neutered. My picture doesn't show it very well, but the injector and rail are pushed over to the outside by that part of the shroud. I read some more about modifying the shroud last night, and am pretty confident that it is going to work out.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Megasquirt 2 system assembly and installation Reply with quote

Got to work on the shroud. Here's what was removed

You can see that this is the "vane" that supplies air to the heater boxes. I opened it back up so it will blow at the cylinder heads.

And capped it, needs final welding

And while I was at it, welded the extension to cover the type 4 cooler

Now that I'm sure it fits, I can finish it and continue with the install..
SD
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Megasquirt 2 system assembly and installation Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
If I remember correctly some have trimmed the bottom of the two ends of the fuel rail at a 45 degree to give enough room for the plugs to connect to the injectors so they are parallel with the fuel rail....if you can understand what I mean.
I'm pretty sure there is enough meat on the CB rails to trim enough to get them turned.

Clonebug, thanks for the thought, it seems to have worked out pretty well. A 45º cut wasn't quite enough, so I ground a small radius.

Because of the offset manifolds, I only have to do one edge of each fuel rail. It barely fits, but it does.

I have to decide how to route the fuel line that connects the rails so that it doesn't interfere with the flap linkage bar, and get some nut serts to mount the wasted spark coil to the shroud..
SD
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Megasquirt 2 system assembly and installation Reply with quote

edit dup post

Last edited by esde on Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Megasquirt 2 system assembly and installation Reply with quote

Very Nice!!!!
Glad I could help....

That is pretty well exactly what the fuel rail I saw that was modified looked like!!!!

esde wrote:
clonebug wrote:

Clonebug, thanks for the thought, it seems to have worked out pretty well. A 45º cut wasn't quite enough, so I ground a small radius.

Because of the offset manifolds, I only have to do one edge of each fuel rail. It barely fits, but it does.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: