Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Chenowth Build/Resto project...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandjunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My Chenowth Build/Resto project... Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Hey, getting back to that oil temp sender...
That location is not a good one for the temp sender as it doesn't get much flow. At times when the oil control valve is up (cold, thick oil), there is no flow past there. It should be where the oil is re-entering the case from the filter and cooler. I have mine in a Tee at the return.

In this post you recommended the T fitting. Are you saying the idiot light should go here instead of the temp gauge sender? I'm confused that you say its a bad spot after you recommended the T.

dustymojave wrote:
The T fitting for that exact purpose is common and readily available from VW shops. I think it's a VDO part. I use one of them in my Baja.

It's not just any ol' T fitting. It has a male on one side to go into the hole in the block, and a female opening opposite that for the gauge sender, and a female port on the side for the light sender. and even has a little offset for proper fit.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Sandjunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My Chenowth Build/Resto project... Reply with quote

Got a little time in the garage today and worked on my electrical box. I went with a humidor.

First the mount.

These will be replaced with Nyloc nuts.

I made a stand off to keep the components off the bottom in case it ever gets submerged and water gets in through the bottom.

I like this location for ease of access. I mounted the box off center of the plate to keep from crowding my foot at the throttle.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My Chenowth Build/Resto project... Reply with quote

Sandjunky wrote:
dustymojave wrote:
Hey, getting back to that oil temp sender...
That location is not a good one for the temp sender as it doesn't get much flow. At times when the oil control valve is up (cold, thick oil), there is no flow past there. It should be where the oil is re-entering the case from the filter and cooler. I have mine in a Tee at the return.

In this post you recommended the T fitting. Are you saying the idiot light should go here instead of the temp gauge sender? I'm confused that you say its a bad spot after you recommended the T.

dustymojave wrote:
The T fitting for that exact purpose is common and readily available from VW shops. I think it's a VDO part. I use one of them in my Baja.

It's not just any ol' T fitting. It has a male on one side to go into the hole in the block, and a female opening opposite that for the gauge sender, and a female port on the side for the light sender. and even has a little offset for proper fit.

When I said "and a female opening opposite that for the gauge sender," I was referring to the oil pressure gauge sender, as seen in the pic. The oil pressure idiot light sender fits into the side port of the 'T'. You don't see a temp sender in that pic I posted above. I specified the oil pressure gauge sender in the end port and the oil pressure idiot light sender in the side port, because as you can see in the pic, there really isn't room to swap them. The pressure gauge sender is too fat to fit against the case.

I have the temperature gauge sender in a Tee fitting at the oil return to the case from the cooler. The temp sensing bulb extends slightly into the oil flow through the Tee. So it sees oil flow at all times the engine is running.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.

Last edited by dustymojave on Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sandjunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My Chenowth Build/Resto project... Reply with quote

I see what you are saying. I was going to put the idiot light switch in the return from the cooler. I would notice a red light before I noticed a temp gauge so if the cooler is a better location I'd rather have a light switch there.

Personally, I think its more concerning to put the pressure sensor in the bypass since the bypass doesn't open until the oil warms up. By then the engine could be damaged due to lack of oil pressure and you'd never know it since the pressure sensor is bypassed. Right?
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: My Chenowth Build/Resto project... Reply with quote

Sandjunky wrote:
I see what you are saying. I was going to put the idiot light switch in the return from the cooler. I would notice a red light before I noticed a temp gauge so if the cooler is a better location I'd rather have a light switch there.

Personally, I think its more concerning to put the pressure sensor in the bypass since the bypass doesn't open until the oil warms up. By then the engine could be damaged due to lack of oil pressure and you'd never know it since the pressure sensor is bypassed. Right?

I just edited that last post of mine. It didn't post up the way it previewed for some reason. Something glitched, then when I tried to edit it earlier, it locked up my computer completely. Must have gotten some virus or something going. It seems fixed now. I have 3 anti-virus softwares on my computer, something should stop any sort of invasion.

So where I suggest to put the oil temp sensor is in a Tee where the return line from the cooler comes to the remote filter/cooler adapter on top of the block. That would be the lower hose as shown here:

A 45 or 90° fitting may be required to get things to fit.

The oil pressure idiot light switch should go in the Tee with the oil pressure gauge sender. Where the temp sender is in this pic.

What I said before about which sender should go in which hole of the Tee is not right. I don't know what I was thinking. I walked past my car this evening and saw the pressure gauge sender is just as you have yours, down under the Tee, and the idiot light sender is in the end. Rolling Eyes
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sandjunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: My Chenowth Build/Resto project... Reply with quote

Gotcha! Thanks for clearing that up. I actually have a 10mm tap in the mail. I'm going to drill and tap the filter housing for the temp sender. It's pretty much the same thing you are saying, but a couple feet away from the remote oil cooler adapter. I thought it would be easier and cheaper to mod the filter housing than find the correct fitting for the adapter.
donbarnes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My Chenowth Build/Resto project... Reply with quote

I'm 6'5", and on my Beeline Packrat chassis I had to cut the windshield frame loose at the bottom where it met the frame, it easily pushed up 3 inches without cracking the paint on the T bars, then I boxed in a new triangular section between the windshield posts and the frame. I considered lowering the seats, but mine already had nice aluminum floors..
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: My Chenowth Build/Resto project... Reply with quote

I REALLY hope you did a good job on that because that's a place where not doing it right could get people hurt. Ask cbeck about how important roll cage strength is on a street rail...
SoCalBajas Member
Sandjunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: My Chenowth Build/Resto project... Reply with quote

donbarnes wrote:
I'm 6'5", and on my Beeline Packrat chassis I had to cut the windshield frame loose at the bottom where it met the frame, it easily pushed up 3 inches without cracking the paint on the T bars, then I boxed in a new triangular section between the windshield posts and the frame. I considered lowering the seats, but mine already had nice aluminum floors..

I just checked out your pics. You did a good job man! Looks pro!

I may end up doing something similar if the headroom I have isn't adequate. I don't want head to rail type headaches. I considered "T" topping it and I still might, but I don't like the idea of leaving the corners of the A pillar unsupported. Its probably fine for a street rail, but a high speed roll in the desert and it's probably coming back into you or a passenger. If I do it will be attached at the A pillar, bent in toward center and then kick back out to the B pillar and it will likely be .120 DOM for additional strength.
Sandjunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My Chenowth Build/Resto project... Reply with quote

Wiring! What a PITA! Definitely not the funnest aspect of the build, but its nearly done. I just need to parallel the hot side of the fuse block and finish the brake light wiring once I fab in my brake light bar.

Got a little help today!

Sandjunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: My Chenowth Build/Resto project... Reply with quote

Finally got a plasma cutter! Bwahaha! I'm dangerous now! I told my wife, "When I get a new tool in the mail I'm not opening a box with a tool, I'm opening a box full of possibilities!"

Need to fab some cord and cable hangers on my cart this weekend.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My Chenowth Build/Resto project... Reply with quote

Now, see how you are? Working to make others on the forums jealous! Shocked
Crying or Very sad

Mad

Cool
SoCalBajas Member
Sandjunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My Chenowth Build/Resto project... Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Now, see how you are? Working to make others on the forums jealous! Shocked
Crying or Very sad

Mad

Cool

Very Happy Its been a long time coming! I'm building a bumper with a swing away tire carrier for a jeep next month so I figured it was a good excuse!
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My Chenowth Build/Resto project... Reply with quote

A plasma cutter is a ham dandy piece of equipment to have around for working on rails, Bajas, 4x4s, hot rods, muscle cars, etc.
SoCalBajas Member
Sandjunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My Chenowth Build/Resto project... Reply with quote

Made some progress today. I got my rear wheel bearings replaced finally. Damn those things are pricey! Also replaced my swing arm pivot bushings. Seems like it all took a lot longer than it should have, but at least it's done. Although I need to redo my driver side torsion. It's a bit softer than the right side.

Still need to fab up my tail lights, run my brake lines, finish up the wiring, and mount rear shocks and it should be ready for summer!

Last edited by Sandjunky on Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sandjunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: My Chenowth Build/Resto project... Reply with quote

I'm about 90% done on my rear lights. I still need to clearance the holes for a perfect fit on the lights, weld it in, and paint it. I'm pretty happy with it. I was going to skin it, but I wasn't liking the look and chose to leave it naked. I plan doing a similar hoop off the upper rear bumper bar for two more LED's that can be converted to turn signals if I choose to go street legal.

I still need to strip and paint the rear bumper.

I wasn't digging this look, but I did cut and bend a piece. I didn't like it at all. It looked like a bonnet. I forgot to take a pic.
Sandjunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: My Chenowth Build/Resto project... Reply with quote

Feels like I'm starting to gain momentum! I got my exhaust back on it yesterday. I ordered my rear shocks today. I chose the Rancho RS5000X RS55113 for now. I like them because they are only 20" extended with a 7" stroke. My stock rear only has 5.25" travel from stop to stop, which isn't what I expected considering it has Type 2 CV joints. I'm leaving a lot of travel on the table with factory stops, but I want to get some seat time now that the weather is changing. Redoing the current suspension or upgrading to 3x3 trailing arms can be next winter's project.

I've put off brake and clutch lines long enough. I have to get them done before I can weld in my cutting brake mount and electrical box plate so I think I'll be working on that this weekend.

Then I need to measure my throttle cable length and decide what I'm going to do with that. Probably go with a push/pull cable, but I haven't decided yet.

Then it is just finishing up the odds and ends!
Sandjunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My Chenowth Build/Resto project... Reply with quote

Okay, well that isn't as fun as I had hoped! I was looking forward to knocking out my brake an clutch lines today.

1st stop autozone for brake flaring and bending tools. Got home and the center post in the 3/16" die broke off in the brake line.

2nd stop Napa. They don't have one in the store but can get one transferred from downtown in a couple hours. No thanks.

3rd stop O'Reilly autoparts. Yes, they have one and its brand new!

Well crap! Double flaring isn't as easy as YouTube makes it look. Well, I guess it is, but there is a learning curve. I had a hard time getting the bubble to form on the first flare to bubble without bending to one side. So after running around too much and a bit of frustration I managed to get my clutch line in instead of finishing my clutch and brake lines. What a PITA!

On a good note, one of two shocks just showed up on my doorstep.
Sandjunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My Chenowth Build/Resto project... Reply with quote

Man, the last two hours seem to be more productive than the last two days in the garage. I didn't get the brake lines done yet, but I did get the clutch line in and bled. Got the light wiring roughed in. I need to change the oil and it will be ready to fire up after I get the brake lines in.

Got my struts mounted.

Full down parks it right in front of the axle for those tricky situations. Full up shined over the two story house across the street. Perfect for spotting hill climbs.

These little Hellas are pretty bright for a cheap incandescent light. I think 4 will be plenty bright for my needs. Looking forward to some summer nights in the desert!
Sandjunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My Chenowth Build/Resto project... Reply with quote

Sandjunky wrote:

No dice! Back to the drawing board on mounting my turn brake. Initially I was focused on the PITA it was going to be to bleed the hand brake since the fittings flowing out to the brakes were below the supply. Yes, that was a pain, but Gravity is the bigger issue since the hand brake sits above the master cylinder. That doesn't work since the fluid back feeds and over flows the master through pressure relief hole.

I'm going to have to figure out a different place to mount it and then fabricate a handle that I can reach properly. I've also decided that I absolutely hate bending steel brake lines. They look like crap and are a PITA to route. So now I'm going to pony up and buy stainless braided lines with AN fittings. Pricey, but they look a lot better and are a hell of a lot easier to work with.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: