Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing fuel line, filter and pump.. But need answers
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
UgoD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Replacing fuel line, filter and pump.. But need answers Reply with quote

Hi all.
I'm in the process of changing the fuel lines. I have an electrical "thing" that I can't find information on...

here are the pictures
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As you can see, the fuel lines(driver side) gets into that electrical devices, connects to a T then into the fuel pump. From the passenger sides it gets into the fuel filter, the T, the nthe pump.

The pump has been making noises on/off since I dried the gas tank. I suspect the filter got debris in it. I purchase a new filter http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BOS-0-450-905-030.

My questions is what is that thing,
Could it, should it be removed, replaced.
Should it be plugued "behind" the gas filter?

Another thing I didn't mention is, this week-end I realised the pump isn't working when I simply turn the key in, even after 10 seconds, but it works when I try to start the Van..

Any advices are welcome Smile

Thanks in advance!
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is your heater fuel pump.....

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
UgoD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, is that side (fuel line) injecting fuel into the fuel pump tp the injectors? if so shouldnt it be protected with the fuel filter?
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UgoD wrote:
Thanks, is that side (fuel line) injecting fuel into the fuel pump tp the injectors? if so shouldnt it be protected with the fuel filter?

Gas comes out of your tank, then through the white plastic cube (that is your filter), from there the filtered gas goes to either of those two pumps. The large cylindrical one sends the (filtered) gas to your injectors. The other pump sends (filtered) gas to your heater.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The early system like you have with the undersized suction lines and tiny cube filter is well known for giving problems. You might consider converting over to the later large diameter canister filter after the pump, at least one of the vendor sells an adapter for the suction hose which is used to replace the cube filter.

I would think you would then want to hook the heater pump up to the return side of the system, but other probably know better how VW did it.

UgoD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks, so its far from my current setup.
shouldnt there be a filter before the pump so it doesnt get crap from the gas tank, or it doesnt really happen that a tank "block" the pump?

Thanks again for your precious advises
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UgoD wrote:
Ok thanks, so its far from my current setup.
shouldnt there be a filter before the pump so it doesnt get crap from the gas tank, or it doesnt really happen that a tank "block" the pump?

Thanks again for your precious advises

The tank has an integral filter screen if it is still intact. Can't be inspected though.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pump has its own little filter screen in the inlet so it filters out anything big enough to damage the pump and just passes the rest through to the fuel filter.

If your gas tank is rusting out, which is somewhat common, you can get enough crud in your pump screen to choke off the gas to the engine. The same could happen even with a filter before the pump and if it was bad enough you could burn out the pump since it is cooled by the flow of fuel through it.
takeiteasy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing fuel line, filter and pump.. But need answers Reply with quote

Are their any known pro/cons of using the pre-prefilter vs removing it. As I've read it became obsolete around '86. Thanks

"With your past and your future precisely divided.
Am I at that moment? I haven't decided."
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing fuel line, filter and pump.. But need answers Reply with quote

takeiteasy wrote:
Are their any known pro/cons of using the pre-prefilter vs removing it. As I've read it became obsolete around '86. Thanks

If you leave the prefilter in place it may cause the pump to growl and other fuel supply problems. The original tanks had a mesh inside to prevent large material from reaching the pump. There is also a screen in the inlet to the pump. Between these two, this should be all you need prior to the pump.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing fuel line, filter and pump.. But need answers Reply with quote

takeiteasy wrote:

the prefilter should be designed to pass fine contaminates, but block corse ones. the final filter will do the fine cleaning. the idea of having the prefilter is to increase the life of the fine filter.

for longest filter life, use the prefilter, or cheap out now and dont run it, but you may end up with a clogged final filter sooner, and I believe the final filter is more pricey than the prefilter, so it could be flase economy to skip the prefilter.

your van will run with no prefilter however, heck it could run with no filter too I suppose, for a while.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
takeiteasy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing fuel line, filter and pump.. But need answers Reply with quote

thank you

"With your past and your future precisely divided.
Am I at that moment? I haven't decided."
Altoona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing fuel line, filter and pump.. But need answers Reply with quote

Ditch the pre-filter, there is a reason they stopped using it, it clogs easily and causes premature pump failure.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing fuel line, filter and pump.. But need answers Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
takeiteasy wrote:

the prefilter should be designed to pass fine contaminates, but block corse ones. the final filter will do the fine cleaning. the idea of having the prefilter is to increase the life of the fine filter.

for longest filter life, use the prefilter, or cheap out now and dont run it, but you may end up with a clogged final filter sooner, and I believe the final filter is more pricey than the prefilter, so it could be flase economy to skip the prefilter.

your van will run with no prefilter however, heck it could run with no filter too I suppose, for a while.

The original cube filter isn't a particularly coarse filter, no use going to the new style filter after the pump if you are going to leave the undersized cube filter prior to the pump. I don't know about you but the idea of having to change out one of the stupid little cube filters every 1000 miles is a pain in the ass, while with a decent tank the later filters can go over a hundred thousand miles easy before needing to be replaced.

Now if someone where to add a sediment bowl with a fairly coarse screen before the pump instead of the undersized cube filter then that would likely be a benefit.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: