Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1960 Bus Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
schwim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what a picturesque place to work on a VeeDub! Looking forward to following the thread.
scooby_drew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Happy Halloween Everyone! Tomorrow's move-in day, keep posted for progress!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scooby_drew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Bus Restoration Reply with quote

Sorry i haven't updated in awhile. Today, we spent the day swapping cars around and installing heat, lights, ect to be able to work through the winter. This week starts the real work; stripping back paint and exposing metal.
Heres a tribute to the falcon who gave up its garage

Heres a pic of her all tucked away for the night
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWDC62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Bus Restoration Reply with quote

Good luck on your build. It's a pretty cool bus. I got my first VW at age 16, then another at 18. And another at 32, so enjoy each one. They are a lot of fun and it's a great family of enthusiasts out there.
1962 Double Cab✅
scooby_drew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Bus Restoration Reply with quote

Shocked

Quarter-inch thick bondo. The WHOLE roof. Oh well, i guess i can work through it.
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Bus Restoration Reply with quote

Don't feel bad dude! I've been there and done that with a "ready for paint" bus. The best part is the sense of accomplishment you get for fixing some fucktard's shitty repair. Wink

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scooby_drew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Bus Restoration Reply with quote

Hmmmm....
And the plot thickens!

Feel free to add your two sense as i still don't quite know what to make of this
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Bus Restoration Reply with quote

Donor corners from a later bus?

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scooby_drew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Bus Restoration Reply with quote

Hmmm, possibly. I was thinking it might have originally been a late bus converted to look like a pre-61. Are there any other differentiations that could indicate what might've happened?
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Bus Restoration Reply with quote

What is the VIN? Is the original M code plate behind the passenger seat?
scooby_drew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Bus Restoration Reply with quote

No mcode plate, vin is 529166.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Bus Restoration Reply with quote

scooby_drew wrote:
Hmmm, possibly. I was thinking it might have originally been a late bus converted to look like a pre-61. Are there any other differentiations that could indicate what might've happened?

The welded over holes look too high up for later style tail lights to me, but I'm no expert. They look to go up higher than the top of the decklid?

I thought school bus warning lights at first, but you've said that it was originally a panel van. Maybe it was a service van? There are lots of empty switch holes cut in to the dash.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786

Last edited by Who.Me? on Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:39 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scooby_drew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Bus Restoration Reply with quote

Could it have any relation to Brazilian buses? Or were those the same as post-61 buses?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Bus Restoration Reply with quote

scooby_drew wrote:
No mcode plate, vin is 529166.

This is a VIN from 11/59 so as long as nothing has been changed, this should be a 1960 Bus.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scooby_drew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Bus Restoration Reply with quote

That's what i thought. It's likely that someone might have forged that vin though?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Bus Restoration Reply with quote

scooby_drew wrote:
That's what i thought. It's likely that someone might have forged that vin though?

Probably not but post a photo of it if you want us to examine it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scooby_drew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Bus Restoration Reply with quote

Please let me know what you think.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Bus Restoration Reply with quote

scooby_drew wrote:

Please let me know what you think.

This looks original to me
scooby_drew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Bus Restoration Reply with quote

Okey doke, Thanks a bunch.
So i have a question; today, we stripped back the rearward cargo door to metal, and upon that, we discovered that the metal was inverted in between the inner supports. We pushed it back out and it conforms to the body's curvature, but i fear hitting a slight bump while driving might re-invert the panel. What should we do?
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Bus Restoration Reply with quote

scooby_drew wrote:

We pushed it back out and it conforms to the body's curvature, but i fear hitting a slight bump while driving might re-invert the panel. What should we do?

From that description, I think you need to google for 'oil canned car body panel'. That should get you hits with a few different solutions to try.

The oil can effect refers to the way that a panel that has been stretched by denting pops in and out like the wall of a flimsy old metal oil can.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: