Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Glass seals and Chrome trim
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcflame
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Glass seals and Chrome trim Reply with quote

Ok. So at this point i've walked away. I'm working on glass install, all 4, with new american style seals and chrome trim.
be it known this is my first time with glass install so maybe i need some tips.
I'm working with JBugs seals (maybe this is my problem) and chrome. i laid the seals in the sun for a little while to soften up. starting with a 1/4 glass i installed the rubber. then started laying in the chrome which is tough but using silicone helps. now it is a round and round fight to, 1-keep the seal on the glass and 2-keep the chrome in the rubber. over an hour on one glass fighting my way around the stupid thing. I'm very frustrated now so its all sitting in the garage.
Have i wasted money buying these seals from JBugs? this is my first bug and after more research i've learned to rely more on WW. My interior was bought through SewFine but i got these seals way back before i knew better.

Any thoughts or hints???
Thanks,
Tommy
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tape it on as you go ; once the seal and chrome are on the glass tie string around everything....go to pg24 half way down of my build thread for photos and explanation of the rest

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring it down to the Daytona flee market show this weekend. Someone will help you out.
tcflame
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately, it is on stands with the engine out at the moment aside that i work on the weekends. but it is a good idea.
i will say that i saw a well assembled glass/seal/trim on this thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=616922&highlight=quarter+glass

those were west coast metric seals. Chris Vallone uses wcm seals also.
when i finally got this one side assembled, its a fricking joke. i have the seal duct taped to the glass on both sides and the trim taped over also. otherwise the trim pops out at the front edge and the damn seal acts like its too big and bulges off the glass with out the tape. if no tape the seal would almost fall off! i would have thought the seal would have to be stretched over the glass real tight? i think these jbug seals are part of the problem. they just fit badly.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found seals made by West Coast metric to be the finest I have seen. I have some I installed a quarter century ago (wing window seals on my 61 bug). 100,000 + miles later, parked in sun much of the time, and them seals are as soft, black and pliable as day installed. (they lived a rough life of California sun, industrial fall out (parked next to taxi way and runaway at busy naval air station for a dozen years at work, this car was no garage queen).

West Coast Metric uses an extremely long lasting rubber formulation, EDPM (Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer) as near a life time seal as possible.

I would look into West Coast Metric as my first choice. Ask for EPDM rubber for the best. Quarter century and still as good as new. The wing window have no leaks, nor make whistle noise at high speed to this day. Amazing. Laughing Wink Rolling Eyes Cool Shocked Very Happy Smile Laughing Laughing

Ps back to the runway at work, I had to cross a taxiway once and a while, not a real busy one, so it only had a stop sign for me, and a big sign saying " Yield to Aircraft" (duh) anyway I yielded to a jet one day and after it cleared the intersection, proceeded across after looking both ways and about half way in the middle of the taxi way my car lurches quickly to the right and a my face is hit by the blast of the jet thur the lowered window, yum yum that kerosene taste.

After that I learned to wait a very long time at the stop sign after the aircraft passed, specially the jets!!! I still think to this day I heard the jet rev up a tad as I passed behind. Funny pilot.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
tcflame
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i mentioned that this is the first time im ever trying this. let me ask a question as im starting with a quarter glass - when putting the glass in the opening, sould i be laying the bottom lip of the seal over the the metal it is supposed to be over and then stringing it OR should i just be holding it in the opening like a cork to a bottle as evenly as possible and then start stringing it?because my problem was also getting the lip over the body(im a bit lost for words but i think i made the point)?
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold the glass flat in the opening and let the pulled string get the rubber over the bottom lip .Side glass is a two person job .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcflame wrote:
i think i mentioned that this is the first time im ever trying this. let me ask a question as im starting with a quarter glass - when putting the glass in the opening, sould i be laying the bottom lip of the seal over the the metal it is supposed to be over and then stringing it OR should i just be holding it in the opening like a cork to a bottle as evenly as possible and then start stringing it?because my problem was also getting the lip over the body(im a bit lost for words but i think i made the point)?

Hi tcflame, as a breaker of two windshields, I empathize.

You really need to have 2 people to do this job, especially if you are first-timing it. To your question above, treat the glass and seal as you would a cork, with all sides evenly laid, flush around the window frame. The person outside should then press with firm, steady pressure, and try to keep the seal and window stationary as you use the string to pull the lip inside all the way around. The person should not try to press or force the glass into the opening. They can do a little bit of heel bumping, but their focus should be on not letting the seal and glass creep around as YOU pull the lip of the seal into the car. If you hit a snag, and your cord can't be pulled, start over.

I used WW rubber and chrome on most of my glass. I did not have issues with the chrome pulling out of it.

I tore my WW windshield rubber on my second glass breakage (I felt AWESOME about that..) and grabbed a WCM seal off the shelf at a VW shop near my work at the time. I agree with bluebus that you can't go wrong with their rubber. The windshield seemed to ME easier to install with the firmer WCM rubber.... But I admit, I had "practiced" on two prior unsuccessful windshield attempts.

I would not heat the seals prior to install. I felt like the firmer the seal, the less it crept around as I tried to install.

I also gave up on trying to use any kind of lube. I tried astroglide, dish soap, and even a combo of the two, and felt like it made the job harder.
tcflame
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OKAY!!!

That was my first mistake. I laid the bottom part of the seal OVER the body first....... Duh.
Ok. Thanks guys! I'll try it this afternoon and report back!!!!!!
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOTS of soapy water sprayed into the groove is a necessity! I have heard people use pledge which is an option. Keep that seal lubed up when pulling that string along an inch at a time with a helper pushing on the outside where you are pulling. I broke 2 windshields years ago on my '65, BUT was more patient (and older) this time a few months ago installing windows on my '61. I took my time, used a thin clothes line type rope and LOTS of soapy water. All of them were done within an hour and no broken glass. take your time. If something starts to get REALLY tight and the rope won't pull around with effort, back up and start over. It will go with a little patience.

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
tcflame
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAS ANYONE USED JBUG GLASS SEALS SUCCESSFULLY?

Thats my question?

HAS ANYONE USED JBUG GLASS SEALS SUCCESSFULLY?

I'm not worried about cracking a windshield yet when I can't even get in the first 1/4 glass.....

Omg, for days i'm trying to get JUST ONE glass in this car! It's Not happening!
after looking at this thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=616922&highlight=quarter+glass

what he has, compared the the hot mess im looking at here - not even close. These seals, of which i'm only on the first of 4 (still) don't fit like that. working on the r/s 1/4 glass first i got the rubber on the glass. after its on it try's rolling off. so i get it to a point where it seems ok and then try to install the chrome and thats just like going in circles chasing it back in the groove and once i do get it in, it doesn't stay in. it pops the coupler off and jumps out down to the corners. so i get it close and now i have the chrome duct taped into the seal completely. but after the chrome is in, it distorts the seal and pulls/pushes the seal off exposing the edge of the glass like the seal is oversized now.
so, now not only is the chrome duct taped into the seal the seal is duct taped to the glass. as stupid as this seams and looks, it will not stay together any other way. i tried tying it with the string like Pete used on the windshield but that wasn't even close.
This seams like it is WAY OUT OF LINE to do where others have said they've done an entire car in under an hour. but never having done this type work i've nothing to compare to. This assembly wont even go into the opening without pounding the corners and even then it doesn't seat into the hole. it is always out 1/2" to 3/4" somewhere. I've tried trimmer string of .065, .095 and masons line and none of it stays in the seal either.

I really feel that the issues are because of inferior product but it would be nice to hear someone else say "Yea, I tried Cip1 or WW or Jbugs or whatever and had a lot of difficulty too"
on the other hand, I do hear a lot of people say that WCM is the finest they've used but I hate throwing money down the toilet. However, If these wont work I don't need a heart attack trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.
Has anyone actually had to toss seals for this reason?

Side note: just so I've said this incase anyone is ready to tell me maybe I shouldn't be trying this type of work , i'm quite capable. I've been maintaining my own vehicles for 35 years. with the CORRECT tools, PART'S and directions i have no doubt about attempting any repair, automotive or otherwise so thanks for not throwing gas on the fire of someone that is extremely frustrated at the moment. it's much appreciated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your frustration after installing the windows recently on my project. I originally purchased German window seals from JBugs but ended up exchanging them (too hard) for West Coast Metric (WCM) window rubber. It made the job MUCH easier becasue the rubber is softer and easier to work with.
rusty60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I used J bugs rubber, yes it was a pain as a first timer, took several tries, used a little silicone spray then getting it set right is the key. I was 3/4 into and didn't seem right, walked away, removed and reset then went back at it. string is key and the ratchet strap. Its doable solo, but a second set of hands and eyes cant hurt

[/img]
tcflame
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwnut1 wrote:
I feel your frustration after installing the windows recently on my project. I originally purchased German window seals from JBugs but ended up exchanging them (too hard) for West Coast Metric (WCM) window rubber. It made the job MUCH easier becasue the rubber is softer and easier to work with.

This is what i'm looking for! someone to confirm i'm not crazy! I have tried 8 times to get this glass in and i'm not even close. I understand the first few attempts having laid the flange of the rubber over the lip and then trying to push the window into the body opening was not the correct way to do it. since i've just tried to push the whole thing in like a cork but as i've said, it never gets in deep enough..

Thank you VWnut1, I really feel this is the issue also.

Anyone else have Jbug seal trouble?
tcflame
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rusty60 wrote:
Yes, I used J bugs rubber, yes it was a pain as a first timer, took several tries, used a little silicone spray then getting it set right is the key. I was 3/4 into and didn't seem right, walked away, removed and reset then went back at it. string is key and the ratchet strap. Its doable solo, but a second set of hands and eyes cant hurt

[/img]

Again, Im not talking about a windshield.

I just want to get a friggin 1/4 glass in and cant even do that!!!!
rusty60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, Did them all, started with the rear, then to the sides and the coup de graw was the front window rear was easiest, sides its almost mandatory to have second set of hands, watch some videos, the slapping helps a bit, silicone on the metal your trying to snug window in. take it slow, step by step inch by inch. or MM by MM Smile
Todd66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done 3 bugs with JBugs window rubber. All with the chrome inserst. The chrome was factory, but that shouldn't be your issue. I only had an issue with one windshield (it cracked) and I am pretty sure that was my fault. I actually used window cleaner concentrate for lubrication. Good luck!
Tony S.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried using JBugs rubber and had no luck. I must have tried the rear window 15 times with and without a helper. I ordered West Coast Metric seals and the rear and side glass went in on the first try working by myself. I had a helper on the outside of the windshield and it went in the first try like butter.
planenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all the research about installing glass, I talked to my local VW shop. I told them about so much broken glass, and they told me how. I had someone keep pressure on the glass, and I started the windshield at the lower right corner, came across the bottom, up the left side and over the top and back down. Now I'm not saying that's the best way, but it worked well for me. They said that they also broke windows trying to start in the bottom middle, and work up both sides. They don't use that procedure anymore, and haven't broken any more glass. Hope it all works well for you. I was extremely antsy also, but was well relieved when we finished.
tcflame
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony S. wrote:
I tried using JBugs rubber and had no luck. I must have tried the rear window 15 times with and without a helper. I ordered West Coast Metric seals and the rear and side glass went in on the first try working by myself. I had a helper on the outside of the windshield and it went in the first try like butter.

Tony, I think i'm done. Both me and my helper trying to push in this window together and still it wont go in the opening evenly and the moment we release a little pressure because of lack of blood flow, its all over. not that it was remotely close anyway, cause it wasn't. i'm going to order the WCM kit. This seems so futile to continue with these. I mean if maybe on the 4th or 5th try but 8 times and i couldn't even make it literally half way?
Not even half way.......... Lol

Last edited by tcflame on Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: