Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Glass seals and Chrome trim
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcflame
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

planenut wrote:
After all the research about installing glass, I talked to my local VW shop. I told them about so much broken glass, and they told me how. I had someone keep pressure on the glass, and I started the windshield at the lower right corner, came across the bottom, up the left side and over the top and back down. Now I'm not saying that's the best way, but it worked well for me. They said that they also broke windows trying to start in the bottom middle, and work up both sides. They don't use that procedure anymore, and haven't broken any more glass. Hope it all works well for you. I was extremely antsy also, but was well relieved when we finished.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind as i move forward
rusty60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last thought, Jbugs originally sent me some miss labeled quarter window for 65 and up vs the 64 and below, they sent me new ones, you might have the same issue???
tcflame
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rusty60 wrote:
One last thought, Jbugs originally sent me some miss labeled quarter window for 65 and up vs the 64 and below, they sent me new ones, you might have the same issue???

thats a possibility. did you have problems like i have? keeping the seal on the glass, keeping the chrome in the seal, seating it all in the body opening???
rusty60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it was a pain, but some string and or tape to keep lined up as best I could, basically slipped the bottom interior lip to the inside, split the difference between the front and back and gradually started pressure. I used silicone spray on the exterior of the metal to help seal seat. pull the cord an inch or 2, apply pressure and it will slip in. but like I said you pretty much need an outside guy applying pressure and someone inside helping seal over lip, a plastic trim tool may also help. I failed 4 or 5 times, you will get it.
usmc1345
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if I will be of any help lol. I just did my windows last week. I found using weed whacker line worked well instead of a rope/twine. Was pretty easy to get in the groove. Any of that Brazilian rubber is gonna be a pain. I have used Wolfsburg West rubber and West Coast Metric. I feel wcm is a far better rubber product. I didnt really run into problems keeping the seal on the glass. It did slip once but the rubber is easy to work with so it went right back on. The weather was chilly. Maybe low 50s. The chrome trim went fairly smooth as well. My guess is the rubber is your biggest problem. Hope it all goes well for ya with the WCM stuff.
tcflame
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. See, I'm continuing to hear such positivity about WCM seals. I sure hope it is the seals and not me?? Lol!!! We'll see next week when the WCM seals get here?
tcflame
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 DOWN, 2 TO GO!!!

Holy S#!%!!! The WCM seals make the ENTIRE difference!
It was a little challenging to get the trim in the seal but once it was in, it stayed in!
about 10-15 minutes to assemble the glass alone, less than 10 with help from the wife and it took 3 minutes to install each ON THE FIRST TRY!!!!!!

I did have to use some duct tape on the inside only where the trim coupler is to keep the seal tight on to the glass on each, but that was all.
Wow, What a pleasure to install the glass in 1/4's. I knew as soon as i put the glass to the body it would work. It fit like a cork!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
tcflame
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 Down!!!

Windshield is left.
OMG, is that trim tough to get in!!! LOL!!

Tony S.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good! Glad to hear the WCM seals worked out.
tcflame
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony S. wrote:
Looking good! Glad to hear the WCM seals worked out.

Omg Tony, all 3 in on the first try! They all sat in the openings perfectly - just like a cork. After that it was easy. Getting the friggin' trim on the seal is the hardest part. But the actual install was a breeze.
Thanks so much for your input, it is much appreciated.
Just the shield now. I think I'll wait till Sunday for that one......
Lidpainter
Samba Anti-Hero

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can relate. I didn't have to deal with the sides because I have pop-outs but the friggin' front and rear nearly drove me to consider setting the car on fire and cutting my losses. Cracked the first windshield on the 5th or 6th try. Failed on the rear at least 12 times. Then I replaced the WW rubber with the German rubber from CIP1 and had another Samba member come over who knew what he was doing and it made all the difference. Still was not easy but it got done. Once you get your glass in you're home free.
tcflame
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lidpainter wrote:
I can relate. I didn't have to deal with the sides because I have pop-outs but the friggin' front and rear nearly drove me to consider setting the car on fire and cutting my losses. Cracked the first windshield on the 5th or 6th try. Failed on the rear at least 12 times. Then I replaced the WW rubber with the German rubber from CIP1 and had another Samba member come over who knew what he was doing and it made all the difference. Still was not easy but it got done. Once you get your glass in you're home free.

Ill tell you what, if you've read the entire thread you can feel my frustration. exactly the same as you! but these West Coast Metric seals - - OMG, They are in-friggin-credible! All 3 went in the first time - No bullshitting around! in and done! i'll never consider using any other brand for the glass at this point unless someone SHOWS me a better mousetrap, LOL!!
rusty60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess in hind sight I wish I had WCM seals, challenge is part of it. nice sense of accomplishment, when you do the front look at the photo I sent towels and rachet straps, you can adjust, relocate, add pressure and yes weed wacker line works the best. good luck
tcflame
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rusty60 wrote:
I guess in hind sight I wish I had WCM seals, challenge is part of it. nice sense of accomplishment, when you do the front look at the photo I sent towels and rachet straps, you can adjust, relocate, add pressure and yes weed wacker line works the best. good luck

Thanks Rusty!
I'm absolutely going to do the windshield that way!
poptop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys does the chrome trim only go in half way and the expose half just bite the window rubber? I've run out of random things to chuck out the garage door so I am taking a break to ask this question?
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically yes. Roughly half of the trim is exposed, the other half slips inside the channel of the window seal.
slownlow65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered wolfsburg west seal and can not get my rear window in tried at least 10 times. Same with the front but ended up cracking it. Guess I'll have to try wcm seals.
tcflame
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slownlow65 wrote:
I ordered wolfsburg west seal and can not get my rear window in tried at least 10 times. Same with the front but ended up cracking it. Guess I'll have to try wcm seals.

Yeah, the WCM have worked so far on back and 1/4's. All 3 on the first try. Still need to do the windshield yet
tcflame
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: UPDATE Reply with quote

planenut wrote:
After all the research about installing glass, I talked to my local VW shop. I told them about so much broken glass, and they told me how. I had someone keep pressure on the glass, and I started the windshield at the lower right corner, came across the bottom, up the left side and over the top and back down. Now I'm not saying that's the best way, but it worked well for me. They said that they also broke windows trying to start in the bottom middle, and work up both sides. They don't use that procedure anymore, and haven't broken any more glass. Hope it all works well for you. I was extremely antsy also, but was well relieved when we finished.

UPDATE
working on the windshield. Oh My Lord!!! This chrome is the most challenging task on this car yet. 2 frigging hours to get the rubber on the glass (duct taped all the way round of course) and the chrome in the rubber!!! Holy Crap!

Anyway, Thank you GrandpaPete for the tape idea, And Rusty for the ratchet straps and towels, And Planenut for the VW shop info on stringing it. I did it by starting around 5" from the right lower and went around the r/s up to the top, over to the left, down and back to the right. I figured the long edge would flex more than the shorter side as i strung it in - and it worked perfectly on the FIRST try!!! IN AND DONE!!!!!! Oh, And installed it by myself, thank you very much! LOL!

Thanks for everyones input!! you all ROCK!!!
tcflame
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Everyone, One last question. does anyone ever experience leakage with these WCM seals if your out in the rain or washing ?? i can water test it but i have to push out of the garage into a sloped driveway and then back. just curious if they ever leak?

Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: