Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Janis Joplin's 356
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Janis Joplin's 356 Reply with quote

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/09/15/janis-joplins-porsche-could-sell-for-400000.html

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject: Janis Joplin's 356 Reply with quote

Too bad the paint job is not original but I will admit the artist who was commissioned to repaint the car was as faithful to the original scheme as photographs allowed. I think she did an outstanding job. I guess the only unknown is the dash since apparently no known pictures of it exist. Even still I have a feeling this car will go for well north of $400K.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine the real driver of the value is not the paint job but the fact that Joplin owned it. Could have been a rust heap and would still command a pile of money.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
I imagine the real driver of the value is not the paint job but the fact that Joplin owned it. Could have been a rust heap and would still command a pile of money.

I hope they replaced the T5 Porsche badge on the rear deck with a correct T6 badge.
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the late 90's I was a young technician at a dealership in the Cleveland, Ohio area, Stoddard Imported Cars. Janis' 356 came from the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame to be made road worthy for a Car and Driver feature on the 356. I had the opportunity to assist the old-car guru Ken Davies on the work on the car.

IIRC, his opinion of its mechanical condition at that time was poor, however he got it going enough to make its round around the area. The fuel system got clogged on their journey and had to be towed.

I thought it was cool to be able to help out on such a well known 356.

Not many years later, I had the opportunity to work on her brother's Audi when he was a customer at our dealership in Southern Arizona.

I still have that issue of Car and Driver. Ken Davies was a great mentor for a young tech. Still have great memories of Stoddard.

Small world.

Car and Driver September 1998
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this picture on one of my old record albums
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomSimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the car sitting on display in the Rock and Rock Hall of Fame in early summer 2015. Pretty cool that a few preserved it as a piece of history.

My comment on value, 'whatever the market will bare'
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was at the Post Office today and noticed they had some Janis Joplin stamps. Funny how the 'counter culture' has become mainstream. But that is a topic for another Forum.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Janis Joplin's 356 Reply with quote

Sold for $1.76M

http://money.cnn.com/2015/12/10/luxury/janis-joplin-porsche-auction/index.html
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Janis Joplin's 356 Reply with quote

I bet Joplin would have found that just too funny for words.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Janis Joplin's 356 Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Sold for $1.76M

http://money.cnn.com/2015/12/10/luxury/janis-joplin-porsche-auction/index.html

I guess my "feeling" was right, except I was thinking $800K, maybe $1000K tops. 4X + buyer's premium? Yikes. Exclamation
roy mawbey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Janis Joplin's 356 Reply with quote

I thought I must reply to this but on reflection I just don't know what to say Shocked

Roy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: