Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Half Horn Ring repair 1954 Car
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
356uk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Half Horn Ring repair 1954 Car Reply with quote

Hi there.. I am just looking into repairing my half horn ring for my 54 car.

I am sure we have seen all these sorts of damaged or broken horn rings before.. and I have seen some one repair them on the 356 talk.

So now I am in that boat and need to repair mine..

I had seen these brazing rods from FROST ( UK restoration place / supplier )

http://www.frost.co.uk/hts-2000-alloy-rods.html

my damaged Ring here.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfl1/...e=56698179

I have just put a magnet to the metal and it's not taken so I have been looking at using non ferrous rods from Frost.. but from my school days Pig iron has a high carbon content and is just rubbish metal to produce basic castings like Iron fence decorations etc etc. anyway has any one got any info I would really like to start this.. Smile

My missing Classic Porsche MOJO.......

If I sound not interested it's cos I lost interest years ago.. no one gets out alive in this life anyway.
356 & 912's owner
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
356uk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well surprised no feed back... Shocked

I have ordered some special Alloy brazing rods from a seller on ebay that does just these.. I feel confident that these rods will repair the part and Ican then get some paint and paint it to finish it..

I have just ordered a new Repro horn push.. I know with a car this old I am just going to have to get parts that I can afford and find. Rather than all out original parts..

is there an active forum for restoration of the 356? since people left the 356 talk list and the like?? I was thinking every one came on to this site once they left? Confused

If I sound not interested it's cos I lost interest years ago.. no one gets out alive in this life anyway.
356 & 912's owner
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
roy mawbey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment you could look on www.ddk-online.com the UK 356 site. Right at this moment Karmann Konnection have a thread going on the 356 pages which detail new repro horn rings and steering wheels. They look very nice.

Sure, the items above are for 356A cars and have the full horn ring but you could ask them about the early half ring versions.

The other site you need to see in www.abcgt.com for the sheet metal resto on both body and chassis. Have you not been on there before?

Just a thought if you could drill each broken part end to accept 2 steel pins
and araldite or similar plastic metal 2 pins first in one end then drill the other end of the broken part oversize to allow for matching each end and fill that cavity with adhesive and line up on the protuding both broken ends.

Explanation not very clear I reckon, but worth trying ??? Needs 2 steel pins
and notch them to assist the adhesive and to stop twisting.

Roy
356uk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roy, I know DDK very well.. I did used to run the 356 section Wink

Hows Tricks Roy? not been to Goodwood of late so not been able to catch up.. next time hey..

Yeah I am starting to get my butt in gear on the car might as well start the ball rolling now better late than never.

356 & 912's owner
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Restorations, etc here
http://www.abcgt.com/forum/recent.html
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

356uk wrote:
Well surprised no feed back... Shocked

I have ordered some special Alloy brazing rods from a seller on ebay that does just these.. I feel confident that these rods will repair the part and Ican then get some paint and paint it to finish it..

I have just ordered a new Repro horn push.. I know with a car this old I am just going to have to get parts that I can afford and find. Rather than all out original parts..

is there an active forum for restoration of the 356? since people left the 356 talk list and the like?? I was thinking every one came on to this site once they left? Confused

I have used these types of brazing rods on a couple things - pot metal type 34 turn signal switch, type 34 pop out latch, early double cab pop out latch

It's very easy to get the part too hot before the rod gets a chance to heat up. Practice on things of the same metal first would be my advice - like maybe a cheap bug horn ring. Practice makes perfect

I found on pop out latches, the brazing rod stronger than the original pot metal. This is good but the side effect was that under stress, the pop-out latch would just find a weaker spot to break (never the spot of the repair)

good luck, let us know how it works out
356uk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Half Horn Ring repair 1954 Car Reply with quote

Hi Well I have been so busy I have not had time to be honest..

but I have the rods here ready...

I will try over the weekend to do it and let you know..

I only have this ring to repair so for me it's watch a few you tube video's and head right on in there Sad

I am using a blow torch as some one said it's not as hot as gas bottles ( industrial ) which makes sence..

fingers crossed

356 & 912's owner
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: