Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Identifying my 912 and 356 engines
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
56bugdan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Identifying my 912 and 356 engines Reply with quote

Hey guys, I know the information is out there but to be honest, the ones that I've found are a little hard to understand. I'm trying to find out for sure what year my 912 and 356 engines are from and if possible what car (eg. Cabrio, or specific model it would have been in if thats possible. I hope these are good enough pics to read. The 356 engine is the 70447 and the 912 is the 832698. Any help would be greatly appreciated since I have no history with Porsche engines. Just old VWs. And yeah believe it or not their both running engines. The 356 is actually really nice. 912 needs some cooling tin.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

captcory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

info on the 356 engine

Engine Production Information
Internal name 616/1 T2
Common name 1600
First serial number 68217
Last serial number 70819
Model year 1958
Production year 1958

Chassis Production Information
This engine would have come with a chassis from the following types and VIN ranges:
Model year Production year Chassis type coachbuilder Start VIN End VIN
1958 1958 T2 A coupe Reutter 102505.0 104659.0
1958 1958 T2 A cabriolet Reutter 150150.0 150949.0
1958 1958 T2 A Speedster Reutter 84371.0 84922.0
1958 1958 T2 A convertible D Drauz 85501.0 85584.0
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your 912 engine is a 1966...
56bugdan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thank you guys. Anybody know what they were rated at in terms of horse power? Don't blow a gasket here but I was considering putting my 912 engine my 56 oval. Just thought it would be a very cool period type engine swap/upgrade. The issue I have with that is that I know there are guys out there that really need that engine for their restoration projects. Besides that, what I paid for the 912 a few years ago could have got me well on my way with a nice VW engine build and we all know their plentiful. I just don't want to wear out a good 912 engine when they aren't as readily available. Still think it would be a very cool engine for my 56.
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your 912 engine is 90 hp. If it's in good shape it will be quite an improvement in your 356...
Jerry Havel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi;
The 70447 engine serial # is for a 1958 1600 Normal. Specifics for the engine are 60 HP (DIN) at 4500 rpm, 7.5 to 1 compression, with 32 mm NDIX Zeniths. The engine model is 616/1.

regards, Jerry

PS - I once tucked a 356 engine into a Beetle, but it made for some difficulties. Among other things, there was a bit of a mismatch between starter motor gear teeth and the flywheel teeth, and I believe it was extremely difficult, if not impossible to pull the valve covers and adjust the valves. I assume you aren't going to cut your Bug to provide access. You can easily get 90 HP + from a Beetle engine, without a lot of the niggling problems with an engine swap.
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 70's Porsche powered VW's were very popular. you could drop a 40 hp and install a 75 hp 356 super engine. I did it twice, a 64 bug and a 62 KG. I never had a problem with starter and flywheel (both 6V). As far as taking the valve covers off there was a "slight" interference where I had to bend the sheet metal maybe a 1/2 inch and you were good to go. These days however with the cost of Porsche engine parts you would have to really want a P wagen just to be able to say what it is. Back than I could beat up on Sprites and MG's with the short gears in the VW transaxle. A lot of fun...
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Identifying my 912 and 356 engines Reply with quote

I 100% agree with dsrtfx. With the stupid money Porsche engines are going for these days I would think you are better off with a built VW unit. Although there is the gentleman in the Pacific NW with a 4 cam Carrera engine in his Beetle--I can only imagine how that car runs. Smile Do you have the cars to go with the engines? If not, I would consider selling one or both of them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: