Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW cheating on diesel emissions.....
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New acronym definition.. Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the doctor's office yesterday a VW diesel owner was ranting about the whole situation. It's impossible to tell just how much damage this has done to VW. And this morning there's more news that Porsche and Audi vehicles may also be involved.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty sad how quickly any so called VW loyalty goes straight in the shitter over some media and exhaust fumes..
I'm asked often..
" So what do you think about the whole VW lying and deceiving thing"

My response. =
Its a witch hunt now. ..... this is just the beginning.
There will be more..
Vw will survive.. Next..

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm coming very late to this discussion so forgive me if I'm beating a dead horse on some of this.

Until the full extent of the fix becomes apparent, yes, this sounds like "...some media and exhaust fumes...", but if you own one of these cars the uncertainty is something you didn't bargain for when you bought it.

This person was a loyal VW diesel owner and had never had problems with her previous diesel, but the one she has now had experienced a series of engine problems from the moment she bought it.

Now she is faced with the prospect of being forced to let the dealer make the changes, because NJ emissions stations will not accept VW diesels without written certification that VW performed whatever modifications are ultimately implemented.

So she is living with uncertainty as to the extent the modifications will reduce performance, increase fuel consumption, and affect the value of her car. Not something a loyal VW owner should have to live with.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.

Last edited by 79SuperVert on Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
It's pretty sad how quickly any so called VW loyalty goes straight in the shitter over some media and exhaust fumes..
I'm asked often..
" So what do you think about the whole VW lying and deceiving thing"

My response. =
Its a witch hunt now. ..... this is just the beginning.
There will be more..
Vw will survive.. Next..

I thought VW quit selling in the USA after 1979. Razz
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
I thought VW quit selling in the USA after 1979. Razz

That's the year the phrase went backwards...

"It's not a Volkswagen, it's a car."
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:

This person was a loyal VW diesel owner .

^ Exactly.. key word ... WAS.. = 90% of current complainers never were loyal.. (maybe not in her case but).

There would have never been so much stink.. if VW. (and soon to be others) weren't raked over the coals in the media over it.. ?

It could have been a nice quiet recall to correct emissions.... but NO... Speak to the hand
VW evidently has struck an auto nerve somewhere.. and are to be made an example out of.. (first)
Now others can correct quietly under the radar..

79SuperVert wrote:

So she is living with uncertainty as to the extent the modifications will reduce performance, increase fuel consumption, and affect the value of her car. Not something a loyal VW owner should have to live with.

True ^

The majority of auto manufacturers have skeletons in their closets.. no owner should have to deal with any problems.. but we do..
Its a choice of the owner to be loyal.. or bail out..

Time will tell how much any updates/modifications really change the engines performance.. right now..yes.. its still questionable.. and volatile.

Allow me to make an adjustment to an above statement.. . ..

EVfun wrote:

I thought VW quit making good cars after 1967. Razz

Yeah,, thats much better.. .. Wink

Usually and often edited
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: I'm not going to claim media conspiracies, but... Reply with quote

What are the chances of this being a primer to get people ready to accept a new car company that only makes self driving cars?

First, they go after Toyota for the unattended acceleration.

Then, vw for dieselgate.

Then, somebody else for unsafe airbags. Come on, their explosive devices, exactly how safe do you think they'd be?

but seriously, vws fifteen minutes of infamy will be up soon as soon as another car company end sup being caught out on something else.

My bet, is either Ford or Subaru.

Kyle
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
gooser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

well it's hurting their sales. i'm sure no one is surprised.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

gooser wrote:

I actually heard the opposite. That due to all the "enticements" and discounts, many VW dealers were reporting very low inventory on their lots.

Most people have short memories. Look at Toyota a couple of years ago.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
gooser wrote:

I actually heard the opposite. That due to all the "enticements" and discounts, many VW dealers were reporting very low inventory on their lots.

A CNNmoney report yesterday was saying that VW USA sales where down 25%. I don't know, I thought VW quit selling cars in the USA in 1979.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
gooser wrote:

A CNNmoney report yesterday was saying that VW USA sales where down 25%. I don't know, I thought VW quit selling cars in the USA in 1979.

http://time.com/money/4114292/volkswagen-demand-low-inventory/

Here's the article I was speaking of..

I agree with your quote I bolded. I wouldn't buy a new VW because of their quality control issues.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

quality control wasn't always up to spec even in the last years of euro-beetle production, though. VW had IMHO built a lot of its reputation on the actual quality peak they reached in the early sixties.

As for current cars, I've come to think that no matter the make, with the current carmaking phylosophy you are always at risk of getting a lemon.

during the early nineties my dad used to have a Mk2 golf and then an audi 80, and literally never had any problem with them. my father-in-law's Mk5 passat TDI, on the other hand, has had its engine rebuilt a couple of times and has even left him on the road in several occasions.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
gooser wrote:

Their sales are off about 25% from this time last year because they cannot sell diesel powered cars. Apparently the Golf is the only model that's a few points ahead of last year. The Jetta and New Beetle (gag) sales are off as well.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

Bosch may be in deep too now--

http://www.businessinsider.com/r-bosch-sued-over-alleged-role-in-vw-diesel-emissions-scandal-2015-12

Still, I just don't consider this that big a deal--certainly not to the extent the press has made it out to be. I mean, at least VW came right out and admitted it, and no one got killed from cheating emissions. Toyota and GM on the other hand...:

http://mashable.com/2014/03/19/toyota-lied-aceleration-recall/#h1JOjLzLG8q8

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_ignition_switch_scandal

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor

Last edited by sb001 on Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

Oh and one more thing-- I owned a 2013 Kia Soul over the past couple years- and Kia flat lied about the fuel efficiency rating on loads of Kia and Hyundai cars-- where was the big hoopla over that? The EPA made them go back and change the ratings to reflect the actual fuel mileage, but I don't remember hearing one report about it on the news. Kia didn't send out any notices about it or anything. Only reason I found out about it (and how to get compensated for it) was because someone I worked with told me about it.

F*@$ you media conglomerates for turning a not that big a deal story into a disaster of epic proportions

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Bennym777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

The Mexican fi beetle let rain through the cooling holes in the rear lid, this fried the engines.

VW's answer was to sell customers plastic covers, to make money out of their own mistake.

I have heard about so many other warranty failures that they have refused to fix and charged for.

When it was reported I wasn't surprised at all.

I lost all respect for VW when they re-released the Beetle and made it into a Barbie car.

As long as the Germans can get paid for working 25 hrs a week, they don't give a flying shite about any customer or loyalty.

They deserve everything they have coming to them and more for years of neglect.
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

Bennym777 wrote:
The Mexican fi beetle let rain through the cooling holes in the rear lid, this fried the engines.

never had this problem. the whole "rain came in through the vents and ruined my engine" is a myth that has been around since the rain tray was removed from the lid on german made beetles. subpar quality ignition transformers were a issue on 1600i beetles, though.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
weisswurst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

well, with the holidays coming and having two qualifying TDI's (one for the wife's DD and my DD I decided to register for the visa cards and the vouchers good at the dealer.
https://www.vwdieselinfo.com/goodwill_package/

I don't think it's enough since I paid a 3-4K premium for each car over the gas model when new but hey, it's a start and 500 on a card good anywhere visa spends and 500 more dealer credit on each car to spend at the dealer (I need an 80K service on one right now anyway) is going to help a little with expenses now.

All the fine print says "no rights are given up" and "this is the first thing while we figure out how to fix things with the customers"

Also they offer 3 years more roadside assist on both cars and ours just expired so that's kind of cool.

Just thought I would share my decision in case anyone else on here is considering registering as I finally went and did since this was offered in Nov.
I still love my car just bummed about the bad press this is causing for the diesel community. Confused
Bennym777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

The rain problem in the 1600i sedan is not a myth.

Have lived here in Mexico for many years and seen it first hand.

Just a quick google search and here is a guy who´s distributor got wet and the vocho wouldnt start:

https://es.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080611200516AALBBZN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 20

Jump to: