Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW cheating on diesel emissions.....
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vdubyah73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:
vdubyah73 wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
everyone in the automotive industry knows that these foolish cat piss systems cause more harm than good. and it has cost consumers more money than you can imagine. so owning a new diesel is such a false economy, it's not funny....

CARB admits what a disaster these control systems have become...despite guys smarter than them telling CARB "this won't end well"

http://allianceforca.org/acb-press-release-3-14-16-carb-admits-dpfs-cause-engine-damage/

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/bc-diesel-repair-...amage.html

http://www.livetrucking.com/carb-admits-dpfs-may-i...ne-damage/

so, I can see why vw cheated...now Mitsubishi is under fire for 25 years of bogus EPA ratings....

Guess Caterpillar foresaw this when they simply exited the onroad diesel market, back when this pie in the sky do-gooder BS started.

Bill

I don't think Caterpillar exited anything, they are making the whole truck now.
http://www.cat.com/en_US/products/new/equipment/on-highway-trucks.html

News from 2008.
http://www.todaystrucking.com/caterpillar-exits-on-highway-engine-business

News from 2015
http://www.equipmentworld.com/caterpillar-will-con...ion-split/

News from Feb 2016.
http://www.equipmentworld.com/caterpillar-disconti...mediately/

If you read the second link you might notice that their on road trucks were using Navistar engines, formerly known as International. Next time you set out to prove someone wrong it would behoove you to dig a little deeper. Wink

Bill

73 bounty hunter, sold.
'77 transporter, junked had crotch rot.
Dubless, but have a CPR built stroker waiting for a new to me Beetle
'93 Fleetwood Bounder 34'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubyah73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:
vdubyah73 wrote:
Didn't the stick shift come out of the dashboard on them too?

Bill

No.

I am correct but barely. The first year of production was dash mounted and used a rod. In 73 they were floor mount and used a cable.

https://www.netcarshow.com/renault/1971-5_tl/

Bill

73 bounty hunter, sold.
'77 transporter, junked had crotch rot.
Dubless, but have a CPR built stroker waiting for a new to me Beetle
'93 Fleetwood Bounder 34'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

vdubyah73 wrote:
ach60 wrote:
vdubyah73 wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
everyone in the automotive industry knows that these foolish cat piss systems cause more harm than good. and it has cost consumers more money than you can imagine. so owning a new diesel is such a false economy, it's not funny....

CARB admits what a disaster these control systems have become...despite guys smarter than them telling CARB "this won't end well"

http://allianceforca.org/acb-press-release-3-14-16-carb-admits-dpfs-cause-engine-damage/

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/bc-diesel-repair-...amage.html

http://www.livetrucking.com/carb-admits-dpfs-may-i...ne-damage/

so, I can see why vw cheated...now Mitsubishi is under fire for 25 years of bogus EPA ratings....

Guess Caterpillar foresaw this when they simply exited the onroad diesel market, back when this pie in the sky do-gooder BS started.

Bill

I don't think Caterpillar exited anything, they are making the whole truck now.
http://www.cat.com/en_US/products/new/equipment/on-highway-trucks.html

News from 2008.
http://www.todaystrucking.com/caterpillar-exits-on-highway-engine-business

News from 2015
http://www.equipmentworld.com/caterpillar-will-con...ion-split/

News from Feb 2016.
http://www.equipmentworld.com/caterpillar-disconti...mediately/

If you read the second link you might notice that their on road trucks were using Navistar engines, formerly known as International. Next time you set out to prove someone wrong it would behoove you to dig a little deeper. Wink

Bill

Well that's cool, I learned something new.
I'd been seeing a lot of the Cat trucks around lately, and went to the Cat site, and saw them there.
I never even thought Cat would put anything but a Cat Engine in their truck.
A 1000 years ago when I was living in Peoria, the Cat boys where a proud bunch, and never would have done such a thing.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ran When Parked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

VWinVT wrote:
I am quite upset by this news. It is deceitful what VW has been doing since 2009 with diesel emissions. Considering the research and data on climate change issues, to purposefully behave the way VW has is unacceptable. Evil or Very Mad

We were planning to trade our 12 Jetta sportwagen for a new golf sportwagen. I don't think we will anymore. Looking for other thoughts/opinions.

"The Volkswagen agreement calls for a record product buyback, which will require the company to repurchase from consumers, at market price, as many as four hundred and seventy thousand or so automobiles with model years 2009 through 2015, ..."

http://www.newyorker.com/business/currency/the-vol...picks=true
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
vdubyah73 wrote:
Didn't the stick shift come out of the dashboard on them too?

Bill

... that was a Honda car thing... the early 70s air cooled N600 and then again in 2002 to 2005 in the awesome Honda Civic Si...

Here it is again 2014 prius. Awesome yes.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

Sh*tBird wrote:
VWinVT wrote:
I am quite upset by this news. It is deceitful what VW has been doing since 2009 with diesel emissions. Considering the research and data on climate change issues, to purposefully behave the way VW has is unacceptable. Evil or Very Mad

We were planning to trade our 12 Jetta sportwagen for a new golf sportwagen. I don't think we will anymore. Looking for other thoughts/opinions.

"The Volkswagen agreement calls for a record product buyback, which will require the company to repurchase from consumers, at market price, as many as four hundred and seventy thousand or so automobiles with model years 2009 through 2015, ..."

http://www.newyorker.com/business/currency/the-vol...picks=true

Talk is cheap lets see what happens. I'm betting they weasel out, public has short attention span anyway
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

Customer just called me today because of this dilemma, VW has offered him almost all of his original sticker price but he doesn't want to relinquish his '14 TDI. I told him think of it as driving the car for free for 2.5 years.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

While the general public has a short attention span, the EPA & the Fed does not. Unless you're a politician.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

There is not even enough room to cite all the examples of multinational corporations screwing the consumers up to and including killing folks. The lobbyists and scores of lawyers will ensure a favorable outcome for VW. To think otherwise is at best naive and ignores history. I wish it were different as well.
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
There is not even enough room to cite all the examples of multinational corporations screwing the consumers up to and including killing folks. The lobbyists and scores of lawyers will ensure a favorable outcome for VW. To think otherwise is at best naive and ignores history. I wish it were different as well.

With a favorable outcome from lawyers and other scheisters....

VW still has a PR fiasco to address... Or, would they just wait on America's typically short attention span?
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

You can't fault the lawyers or the lobbyists,they are just doing their jobs.
weisswurst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

I got my buyback amount today on our 09 tdi wagon and it's 10K short of what we paid back then but the saddest part is I really can't buy another one right now if I wanted to because they can't sell any yet.
Also there is no replacement product from any other automaker in diesel for the price (even new price) because VW/Audi basically cornered the market it seems.

really not happy right now.... Evil or Very Mad

also our last payment is next month and it would have been paid off so VW got my interest on payments.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

Interesting contrast...

$18B cost to VW for their pollution, which despite the "40X" headline is large but not the biggest amount in the real world of industrial pollution.

Last year our regional gas company created the largest natural gas leak (a very active greenhouse gas) in history, and get a $4M fine from Los Angeles. Estimated $0.7B cost when finally settled.

VW pollution: 14,000 to 59,000 tons of additional nitrogen oxides.
SoCalGas leak pollution: 93,000 tons of methane.

VW's action was intentional.
SoCalGas's action was gross negligence after being specifically warned about removing safety valves.

So 2X-5X times the pollution, but 1/25th of the cost. Seem fair and balanced to you?

Tells you who has the better lobbyists...
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

weisswurst wrote:
I got my buyback amount today on our 09 tdi wagon and it's 10K short of what we paid back then but the saddest part is I really can't buy another one right now if I wanted to because they can't sell any yet.
Also there is no replacement product from any other automaker in diesel for the price (even new price) because VW/Audi basically cornered the market it seems.

really not happy right now.... Evil or Very Mad

also our last payment is next month and it would have been paid off so VW got my interest on payments.

Why would you sell it? It's almost paid off. If I had a TDI there's no chance I'd sell it.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

A coworker of mine LOVES his TDI, and has no interest in selling back to VW, or getting it "fixed". Now what? I am sure there are many others thinking the same thing.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
A coworker of mine LOVES his TDI, and has no interest in selling back to VW, or getting it "fixed". Now what? I am sure there are many others thinking the same thing.

In most (if not all) states, you will fail your next smog test if it is not "fixed," and won't be able to renew the registration.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

In most (if not all) states, you will fail your next smog test if it is not "fixed," and won't be able to renew the registration.

How will they know if it's fixed or not? It'll pass the test in the non fixed condition obviously. Will the smog shop be able to tell what version of software your car has?

If I owned one I'd just find a shop willing to cheat like I did when I had my WS6 Trans Am. $200 every two years and it passes. Despite having headers, no cats, aftermarket cam, etc. Weird Laughing
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

well...there are oh somany cars&trucks with emission equipment that has been deleated/removed......but...not by the mfg company.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

some of you folks haven't owned these TDI's long enough...they are f*cking garbage...

run, because when they break, and they will, it will cost you more than you know to fix.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

How will they know if it's fixed or not? It'll pass the test in the non fixed condition obviously. Will the smog shop be able to tell what version of software your car has?

If I owned one I'd just find a shop willing to cheat like I did when I had my WS6 Trans Am. $200 every two years and it passes. Despite having headers, no cats, aftermarket cam, etc. Weird Laughing

Testing is far more sophisticated now, and "cheater shops" are soon out of business. They do statistical analysis of test results and the cheaters stick out like a sore thumb.

Testing includes a reading of software versions through the port, and if yours isn't updated, you flunk before they start the engine.

Cheating used to be easy, then it got hard, and now it's darn near impossible, at least in California.

And with the reputation the VW diesels have, they will be out to spot them.

Last edited by KTPhil on Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:45 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 20

Jump to: