Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Very tight valve clearance on rebuilt engine
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Very tight valve clearance on rebuilt engine Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
^I'm under the impression that premium gas should be used on all ACVW engines both T1 and T4.

I have always run regular, at least since they got rid of the subregular Gulftane. The only time I run high test is during the heat of summer when the alcohol laced regular makes hot start problems with carbureted engines.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Very tight valve clearance on rebuilt engine Reply with quote

Not sure of your location but up here (7700') there seems to be a lot of unnecessary crap added to the fuel in the winter. Unnecessary for carbs, that's for sure.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Very tight valve clearance on rebuilt engine Reply with quote

as you go up in altitude air molecules are farther apart. This slows how fast fuel burns. That is why the timing can be advanced a couple degrees at altitude, or the octane reduced.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Very tight valve clearance on rebuilt engine Reply with quote

So in rebuilding my engine, I noticed that when I torqued the oil pump down, it made the engine very hard to turn by hand. Its a cb performance pump and I have run it without issues., but it was installed after the engine was in so no hand turning without compression. When I disassembled the engine noticed no clearance issues with intetference with the cam. When assembling did not notice any clearance isaues either. There was some slight scoring on the cover plate from the gear that engages the cam after 300 miles. Any thoughts? Don't think its normal for the drive gear to put that much pressureon the cam. Thanks for the help.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Very tight valve clearance on rebuilt engine Reply with quote

if tightening the 4 nuts causes the engine to bind, pull the gear out of the pump and see if the binding goes away. Be sure that you used the thin gasket between the pump and cover because that is what gives the gear clearance. The thick gasket goes between the pump body and case, and the thin gasket between the body and cover. The specs on how to verify clearance is in Bentley.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Very tight valve clearance on rebuilt engine Reply with quote

Pretty sure its the gear. Pumpbody and bolts are nowhere near the cam gear. Sorry I'm away from home and wirhout my Bentley for a week. Would assume clearancing involves removing material from the tang end or the back of the gear. If you could point me to an explanation on the net it would be much appreciated. I almost never leave home without my Bentley...

Thanks!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Very tight valve clearance on rebuilt engine Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=586716

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re9DZ9TBOKY
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Very tight valve clearance on rebuilt engine Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
Pretty sure its the gear. Pumpbody and bolts are nowhere near the cam gear. Sorry I'm away from home and wirhout my Bentley for a week. Would assume clearancing involves removing material from the tang end or the back of the gear. If you could point me to an explanation on the net it would be much appreciated. I almost never leave home without my Bentley...

Thanks!

This is your T4 engine with a CB T4 aftermarket pump? Correct? Be sure to call CB before you start grinding on things. They may have special instructions for you.

Check the end clearance while the pump is out of the engine using a straight edge and feeler gauge. If the pump gear clearance to cover is within spec (.000 - .004) than the pump gear will have clearance when the thin gasket is added. If that checks out then pump may be too long. The pump body must be checked for clearance to the cam bolts/rivets on a T4 engine.

from 914 world - example of aftermarket pump rubbing and binding on cam gear bolts.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Very tight valve clearance on rebuilt engine Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. Smile
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Very tight valve clearance on rebuilt engine Reply with quote

Definitely not interference with the pump body. Mocked it up without the thick gasket on my second rebuild before assembling case halves and no interference then. When this pump came out of the engine after 300 miles, cam bolts, pump body, etc all looked perfect. had worried that this was the source of debris I found. Drive gear tang was also fine as was slot in cam gear. Only thing i noticed was scoring on the cover plate from the back of the pump drive gear. Would using a thicker gasket for the cover plate help?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Very tight valve clearance on rebuilt engine Reply with quote

Light scoring is normal. Can you show us a pic?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Very tight valve clearance on rebuilt engine Reply with quote

Would using a thicker gasket for the cover plate help?
No, that would increase the running clearance of the gears and reduce oil pressure.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Very tight valve clearance on rebuilt engine Reply with quote

you are on the right path. Hang in there.

There are two gaskets that go with a T1 pump even on a T4. The thin one goes between the pump body and cover. Try putting that assembly together out of the case with 4 bolts and nuts - see how much force it takes to turn the pump out of the engine. Anytime there is debris in the engine the character of the debris should give away something about where it came from. For example can a magnet pick it up?

You can also look at the cam gear and see if the tang has been bottoming out.

The thin left hand gasket goes between the pump body and cover. The right hand one (or Loctite anaerobic sealer) goes between the pump body and case.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Very tight valve clearance on rebuilt engine Reply with quote

Ok, thank you. I am on vacation for the rest of the week, so the rest will have to wait. BTW, In doing the second rebuild of this engine, I split the case, cleaned it thoroughly and started from scratch. Debris was determined to be something dropped down the intake. Debris found on the first occasion was likely from a valve adjustment screw hitting the inside of the rocker cover. This was occurring even before I rebuilt the engine the first time. This go-around I know a lot more and am using better parts, HAM heads, etc. Also will be paying careful attention to deck height and valve geometry. Especially attentive to working clean, keeping the engine covered at all times, keeping the space around me clean and uncluttered, accounting for dropped parts immediately...
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Very tight valve clearance on rebuilt engine Reply with quote

Yes, I get it now about not using a thicker gasket. Increasing gear clearance excessively reduces pump efficiency and oil pressure...Wish it just bolyed in with no issues, but way better to find out while its on the bench.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Very tight valve clearance on rebuilt engine Reply with quote

Ok. So I assembled the pump torqued to specs outside of the engine; smooth and no binding. Torqued it to spec in the case minus the drive gear; no binding. Tried it again with the drive gear in, the pump in the case,; got some binding. I did put the gaskets in the right place; fat one between the pump body and the case, paper thin one under the cover plate. Would post photos, but there is nothing to see...no scoring on anything....As I mentioned before, I have run this pump, but would not have noticed binding as the engine was in the bus...

Where do I go from here? Thanks as always for the help...
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Very tight valve clearance on rebuilt engine Reply with quote

If you have a bolt on cam. The cam bolts may be hitting the pump.
Could the oil pump drive gear be bottoming out in the cam slot.
Put some grease in the cam slot install the oil pump housing install the drive gear. Push in the gear. Carefully remove the gear and pump housing. See how far the drive gear tang is locating in the cam.
Put the gears in the pump and with a straight edge and feeler gauge measure the end play. The gap between the straight edge and the gears.
Rotate the gears by hand is there binding.

Good luck
Tcash
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Very tight valve clearance on rebuilt engine Reply with quote

Thank you. Cam bolts are most definately not hitting the pump. That's why it it turns nicely with the drive gear removed. It's the drive gear. Will check as instructed. Thanks...
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Very tight valve clearance on rebuilt engine Reply with quote

Might it be normal for the engine to turn stiffly with the oil pump installed? It's just the rods, case, drive plate...
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Very tight valve clearance on rebuilt engine Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
Might it be normal for the engine to turn stiffly with the oil pump installed? It's just the rods, case, drive plate...

No, you should be able to spin the oil pump by hand with no binding.
To cause noticeable drag on the cam and the crankshaft would take quite a bit of binding.
Tcash
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: