Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterprete Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:
I ended up buying a 14 x 26 shed/garage to make room in our 3 car garage to get my Ghia in and have addition room to actually work on it. The back of two bays in our garage has work benches and larger tools, which wouldn't allow for much storage. Hell the garage even has a second floor attic, filled with "stuff".

I face the same dilemma. if/when I relocate to Lake Mary, FL my two requirements for the house I purchase are a three bay garage and room in the yard to build a 3 bay workshop with a double width garage door. This would give me storage and a place to build a woodworking/car workshop. The biggest obstacle to this is finding a community where the HOA allows a detached workshop to built in the yard.

The other 90% of the house belongs to Accounting Laughing

See my build on TheSamba at:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterprete Reply with quote

Evil_Fiz wrote:
CiderGuy wrote:
I ended up buying a 14 x 26 shed/garage to make room in our 3 car garage to get my Ghia in and have addition room to actually work on it. The back of two bays in our garage has work benches and larger tools, which wouldn't allow for much storage. Hell the garage even has a second floor attic, filled with "stuff".

I face the same dilemma. if/when I relocate to Lake Mary, FL my two requirements for the house I purchase are a three bay garage and room in the yard to build a 3 bay workshop with a double width garage door. This would give me storage and a place to build a woodworking/car workshop. The biggest obstacle to this is finding a community where the HOA allows a detached workshop to built in the yard.

The other 90% of the house belongs to Accounting Laughing

I wanted to do almost the same thing. The township we live in wouldn't allow us to build an addition onto the back of our 36 foot long garage, and were are located on an acre of land. It actually would have been cheaper to build the addition, after all things were said and done.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterprete Reply with quote

Quote:
The biggest obstacle to this is finding a community where the HOA allows a detached workshop to built in the yard.

Always avoid HOAs!!!!!! They are evil, they never have "your" interest in mind, only "theirs" Evil or Very Mad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterprete Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Always avoid HOAs!!!!!! They are evil, they never have "your" interest in mind, only "theirs" Evil or Very Mad

Yup! but easier said than done in the area I will be looking in.
My first experience with an HOA was my first home in Miami. The HOA president was named Carmen and she was twice the man I'll ever be.

HOAs are EVIL and must be destroyed. Unfortunately they are sometimes a necessary evil that we have to live with. (steps down from soap box)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterprete Reply with quote

Quote:
The HOA president was named Carmen and she was twice the man I'll ever be.

Ray Davies... said....walked like a woman but talked like a man, L O L A Lola..... Cool
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterprete Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Ray Davies... said....walked like a woman but talked like a man, L O L A Lola..... Cool

...and now for something completely NOT so different

Link

Time to get The K_R_A_K_E_N_N back on track. We need to FOCUS, people Very Happy

Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

I would honestly like to say I have been hard at work on The Krakenn but there is no way I could keep a straight face and say that at the same time.

Due to a new position within the company I work for there was a possibility that I would have to relocate to Lake Mary, FL, which is about 20 miles north of Orlando. The threat of having to move is now over so work has resumed on the car. Of course when it rains it pours and my working capital has been reduced significantly due to taxes owed on properties I sold in Charlotte, NC.

My latest efforts find me with a propane torch in one hand and a chisel and/or scraper in the other.
Here is what I know for certain:

1) There is NO saving any portion of my floors.
2) The drivers seat rail is savable but only parts of the passenger rail are.
3) Tar boards on the tunnel and body gasket sling muck all over me when I remove the remnants (after torch and chisel treatment) with a wire brush attached to my drill and grinder.
4) Spot welds are impossible to see in pitted metal and only marginally visible in smooth metal (bad eyesight.)
5) I REALLY, REALLY need a metric tape measure.
6) Things sometimes have nicknames that are funnier than the items are functional. Ex. Plumbers refer to a bidet as a “Cat Washer” and Danish aircraft mechanics refer to a mini, high-speed “Sawzall” like saw as a “Rabbit Fu***r.”

That is all for now.
If anyone has, or can point me to, a birds-eye view line drawing of a complete Ghia pan please let me know. I need/want it to document critical measurements before removing the pans (This is where the Metric tape measure comes into play.)

Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

There are dimensioned drawings of beetle floor pans on the web but I haven't been able to find one for the KG. However, here is a photo with dimensions from another thread:

http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz289/hr31hr/1974%20Ghia/MeasuredDrawing.jpg
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
There are dimensioned drawings of beetle floor pans on the web but I haven't been able to find one for the KG. However, here is a photo with dimensions from another thread:

http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz289/hr31hr/1974%20Ghia/MeasuredDrawing.jpg

As this is a useful reference picture but posted in Photobucket I took the opportunity of posting a copy to The Samba Gallery so it won't go missing.

If "hr31hr" has any objections can he contact me and we can discuss. Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

Evil_Fiz wrote:
If anyone has, or can point me to, a birds-eye view line drawing of a complete Ghia pan please let me know. I need/want it to document critical measurements before removing the pans (This is where the Metric tape measure comes into play.)

I took a whole bunch of measurements (in metric) before cutting out my floor pans, but now I can't find them so if you could do this and post yours it would be helpful.

The measurements in the photo above are ok, but they are a little different on each side and are in inches so double checking in metric would be great.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

That very picture is the reason I asked if a line drawing was anywhere to be found. I have seen that picture before but the measurements are hard to read and as mentioned above are not metric. If I can't find what I am looking for, I will convert that image into a vector drawing, add all relevant measurements, and post it into the gallery for future reference.

Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

I has taken me about a week to produce this drawing so here it is. It is still a work in progress and I only have "measured" dimensions for the passenger side of the car. I am posting the image to get feedback and suggestions on how to improve it. I could only upload a JPG image so the quality is not as good as it can be. The image was made using Adobe Illustrator and can be saved as a PDF which can be zoomed without loosing detail. Once the final image is ready I will upload a finished reference copy to the gallery and hopefully I can also upload the PDF version to the documents section so anyone can download it and use it for reference purposes. The drawing is roughly 1/10 scale.

Disclaimer:
These measurements are based on a 1970 convertible with original pans. The original drawing that this image is based on was for a Beetle pan and the floors are based on a picture of a reproduction driver side pan half.

Edit: 3-16-16. Image updated

Last edited by Evil_Fiz on Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

That is awesome, following are some ideas to make it perfect:

- add a lengthways dimsion to the seat belt anchors

- correct one of the top main lengthways dimensions (should it be 1404 rather than 200?)

- maybe do the dimensions from the centre of the front bulkhead hole rather than the bulkhead corner because the corner is rounded and could be misinterpreted where the exact location is

- add some diagonal reference dimsionsions like this beetle floor pan drawing (http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b472/sportbugger/VWPanBoltMeasurements3.jpg)

Great work and this diagram will be very helpful for me
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

That's great Emil. When you're happy you have the final copy you can email a .pdf copy to Everett and he will upload it to a suitable location in the Ghia archive so as you say giant copies can be made without loss of detail.

Thanks for taking the time to make it...there are going to be a lot of Ghia owners who will be thanking you in years to come. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

It’s been a while but I am back with some progress shots.
I have been putting in about two hours every afternoon for the past few weeks. It isn’t the most productive way to work given the setup time and all the “putting everything back in the garage when I’m done” time I spend every day but progress is progress nonetheless.

After measuring and documenting all the pertinent dimensions for the floors and chassis the floors were removed using two contrasting styles. The passenger side: vigilante style. The driver side: surgeon style. I started on the passenger side with every intention of drilling out the spot welds and gracefully removing the floor. F A I L. The standard drill bit I used went at the floor like a pack of hyenas on a fresh carcass, holes and carnage everywhere. I quickly abandoned that notion, broke out the Sawz-all, and cut the floor out. This affront to Ghia lovers everywhere was followed by a cold chisel and a BFH. The process was crude and left behind damage I need to address once I get a welder. The driver side was treated with much more love and refinement.

Passenger front cut out

Passenger rear cut out

Carnage viwed from the rear - floor pan removed

Carnage viewed from the front - floor pan in place

After spending some time researching spot weld cutters and seam busters I settled on the $5.00 Harbor Freight 3/8 in. Double Sided Rotary Spot Weld Cutter http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-double-sided-rotary-spot-weld-cutter-95343.html . My reasoning: it has good reviews, it’s inexpensive, it’s available locally, and if it’s a dud I can step up to the spendy ones. I could not be happier with my choice. Using an old Craftsman corded drill at low speed and some WD-40 as cutting oil I was able to cut out around 85 spot welds without issue. In fact I only used one side of the cutter and the last cut was as clean and quick as the first. I estimate that with proper use this cutter will cut over 250 spot welds in total. I know that HF is more often than not the butt of many jokes but so far my experience with the products I have purchased there has been a favorable one.

I told you that story so I could tell you this one. The driver side floor removal was more elegant and less destructive than the passenger side. Due to some pitting of the metal around the seat track I had to use the Sawz-all to cut along the inner seat rail in order to remove the floor pan. The remaining 2/3 of the floor was removed by cutting the spot welds. The spot weld pimples were quickly removed using the angle Grinder I also purchased at HF (comfortable, paddle switch, smooth operation, great price.) With the floors out I moved on the removing tar, seam sealer, and cleaning up the frame lip where the new floors will eventually be welded.

Spot weld surgery and a little Sawz-all vigilantism where needed

Pitted metal that did not allow for spot weld "locating"

Front welds cut out

Rear welds cut out - rear edge

Rear welds cut out - inner edge

I have finished most of the cleanup and have moved on to removing the suspension. Pictures to follow.

If anyone near Jacksonville, FL has the Gland nut/axle nut removal tool (Torque Meister) and is willing to lend it in exchange for lunch and a beer, PM me. I thought about buying one but since I will probably deviate from the standard wheel bolt pattern in the future I fear it will not be money well spent.

sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

Emil,
Have you found a metric tape measure yet? Any progress on this project? We'd like to hear of your exploits.

Nicholas
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

I found a "METRICish" tape measure at Lowe's (US big box home improvement store) but it was not comfortable to use. It was a combination Imperial/metric model with the metric print on the convex underside. I returned it and have not ordered a new one from Amazon yet.

It has been hot in sunny Florida and I don't do heat very well so I have been working on my parts sourcing and build tracking spreadsheet. One of the reasons for the sheet is that I have hit a fork in my decision tree. Do I compromise my original vision and do a fully stock rebuild for less $ and in a shorter period of time or do I commit to the long haul and bigger $$$ layout. Once I have a complete working parts/cost list for both routs I will decide.

A fellow Samba member, "Lo cash John," has offered to lend me his torque buddy so I can finish the suspension removal. We will hopefully be meeting this week in a dark, scary alley behind a boarded up convenience store to work out a deal (I hear the first on is free.) I have also started to rebuild my steering box using "BobNormans" posts as a guideline. I would like to publicly thank Bob for his excellent posts and the additional help he has provided via PMs.

I know I promised pictures and have not delivered. One the rear suspension is out I will post pictures of where the project is now. Thanks for the kick Sputnik Smile

bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

“Vigilante style” LOL. I like it.

Good stuff, glad to see progress; it’s all forward momentum and that’s the main thing.

Good to know about the spot weld remover. I had used one years ago with limited success, so this time around I opted for the drill bit method and have created some very nice pits. I’ve only a few left to drill, but I think for the rest of the pan, I may try something different. Is this similar to the one you were using? (Princess Auto is our Harbour freight)

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/2-pc-spot-weld-cutters/A-p3410034e

Thanks for the shout out by the way. Appreciate the kind words. I know the excellent measurement chart you drafted for us all will come in handy for me very soon. To paraphrase the quote from Chris you have in your tag line; it’s all about what might help the next guy. You seem to live by that as well.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

The spot weld cutter you posted looks identical to the one I bought. Mine is still going strong and I have not had to flip it yet. I did not buy the cutting lube, I used WD-40 BC it is what was on my shelf. From what I have read the cutting lube will make drill bits and cutting tools last a long time. Low speed, moderate pressure is what I did. You will need to grind down or chisel out the nubs left behind but that is better than filling in pits with the welder then grinding those down.

Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

Q: What do spot welds and arguments have in common?

A: There are always two sides to all of them.
(except when the argument is with your wife, in that event there’s only one side, hers, and that is the only one that matters or will persist) Laughing

It was finally cool enough yesterday afternoon to spend some quality time with The KRAKENN. I disassembled the steering box last week so I finally went at it with some paint thinner and got all the grease and crud out. A pleasant side effect of this was that all the fumes I inhaled must have had a similar effect on my intracranial marbles.

I had all but given up on salvaging my seat rails because they were so pitted I could not see the spot welds and therefore figured I would not be able to remove them. Well, the combination of solvent fumes and loud rock music allowed the aforementioned marbles to arrange themselves into an idea; Flip the pan over and check for welds from that side.

To quote Will Smith in Men in Black:
“Old and busted…

Seat track cross brace

Seat track

“New Hotness.”
Voila’… Clean, shiny, paint-protected metal.

I dug out the spot weld cutter. 2.5 Hrs. and a screaming back later...
Seat Rail Out (one side, other side TBD)

I will probably not put them back in the car once the new floors go in since I will be using custom/fancy-car seats but I am not taking any chances. These will get the electrolysis and rust proofing treatment then get bagged and put away in the attic (with all the other parts I can’t fit in the garage.)
And on that note, I think I can fit one more set of home-built shelves in the front-left corner of the garage. Update to follow.

I would like to thank everyone who feels the need to constantly state the fact that
N O T H I N G should be discarded until the project is done + 10 Yrs.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 16

Jump to: