Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Argh! So Hard To Find a MK I Scirocco
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Argh! So Hard To Find a MK I Scirocco Reply with quote

I've been looking for half-decent Scirocco for years now and there's not much out there!
Every car I find is either:
Unmolested, mint and $$$
Modded to the tits and $$$
The victim of a half-assed engine swap and just needs xxxx to get it running
A total rustbucket
Too far away!
All I want is a runner with a decent body for under $3K (CDN). Seems like too tall an order these days! Evil or Very Mad

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, keep dreaming. You do know those cars are old and didn't have the best rust protection. Seems you are finding what is out there.

I would think anything with a decent body is going to be in the arid regions of the US, but that makes the interior most likely trash(but that would happen anyway at this age). And anything close to you will be eaten by either salt air or salty roads. I had an 80 Rabbit that spent it's entire life in Idaho, and after it got hit and totalled and I parted what was left out, I found out how much rust it actually had, so much I was glad I got rear-ended, as side or front impact really could've been much worse for me.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A guy can dream...

Not looking for a perfect car, just a runner that's at least structurally sound.
Good point about hidden rust. There's not a lot of salt around here but there is a lot of damp cars that have been holding water from years outdoors with leaky seals.
They wer rusty even 20 years ago so I'm not looking for miracles but it would be nice to find one that hasn't been messed with too much!

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My price point is higher than yours and, perhaps, I'm a little pickier than you, too, but what you are asking is a very tall order. At least, you are on the coast where condition of Scirocco is easier to find.

Buying a Scirocco is much higher on my Want List than it is on my Realistic Want List. And I think I have a better shot of buying a Scirocco with my parameters than you with yours.

Good luck anyway!
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oasis wrote:

Buying a Scirocco is much higher on my Want List than it is on my Realistic Want List.

Me too!

oasis wrote:
Good luck anyway!

Thanks! So, what are your parameters? How should I adjust my expectations? Price?

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

sgnimj96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting glass for a MK1 scirocco is a nightmare. Corrados are the real S3.
http://bend.craigslist.org/cto/5224909464.html
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

photogdave wrote:
So, what are your parameters? How should I adjust my expectations? Price?

My parameters can get long-winded. Let's just say the four cars we have already are first priority. That said, my Tiguan and my daughter's Tiguan have most of what is wanted save for some miscellaneous items. My wife's Golf is doing well but we need hatch struts which we will get during its next oil change. Thing is getting a major investment right now while I'm laid up and can't drive anything anyway.

That means between Thing and my daughter's education costs, I am limited in price point.

From that starting point, my job will require a longer commute sometime in 2016. I don't want to put on "junk miles" on my Tiguan on a daily basis. So, I want something that's dependable, interesting, and at least semi-economical. Those are value judgements. The list of possibilities is long and specific. I would deviate from it if I stumbled across something that qualifies as a stupid-to-pass-it-by car.

So ... to get a Scirocco at what is probably a reasonable price would have me thinking, "Gee, at that price, I would rather have a ..." given my situation.

Practicality wasn't at the top of my list when I bought Thing. It's all in the timing and situation.

As for you, it comes dowm to: How much do you want a Scirocco? I "overpaid" for my Super Beetle and I "won" Thing on eBay. I flew two time zones to buy my Tiguan. Sane? Some, perhaps many, would say no. But I never regretted any of those purchases. In fact, I was just mentioning to my wife I should never had passed up on a 912E I was looking at six years ago just because I was trying to squeeze an extra dollar or two on the deal.

So, how much do you want one?
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oasis wrote:
In fact, I was just mentioning to my wife I should never had passed up on a 912E I was looking at six years ago just because I was trying to squeeze an extra dollar or two on the deal.

No doubt. A few years ago those cars could be had for under 12K all day long. Now look at the prices! Shocked

oasis wrote:
So, how much do you want one?

More than I need one. I don't need a daily driver and the Syncro fills all my car needs and most of my car wants. I haven't driven anything except Vanagons for the last 12 years so I'm just hankering after something that's a bit of fun to drive around town and cheap to run.
Maybe I should just settle for one of the rusty ones!

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the rust isn't in the strut towers or part of the structure or frame. After that, you can repair the rest if you or somebody you know or would employ can wield a welder so it can be fixed as you go.

Yeah, the 912E was for sale for $8,000. It would have been top drawer material if I sunk another $2,000 into it. oh, well ... Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: