Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Camshaft (whole engine - AN) question
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:06 am    Post subject: Camshaft (whole engine - AN) question Reply with quote

Hello people!

For starters, the Problem(TM) (at least for me, please bear with me):

Correct engine is missing and I'm having a 2-liter bus engine. It mostly fits in and the car moves, but not much else.

The car is a '74 euro-spec 412 4-door sedan , which means it should have twin carburetors, 1800cc engine with high-compression pistons (only in Europe) and 85hp (DIN), engine code AN.

This car has also automatic gearbox and that's a combination which means it will be very hard to find an engine that would correct one for this car: A '74 euro model with automatic gearbox. Not a common version at all.

The engine I have now is also quite worn and needs a rebuild anyway so swapping it to another worn engine (like 1800cc AN) wouldn't hurt me much: Cost of rebuild is almost the same.

On paper I could build a technically correct engine (almost at least) if I knew the part numbers for pistons, camshaft and distributor: Those are the major differences.

But even that is a problem as ~all part books I've managed to find, stop to 1971 or 1972, not much help in this case. I know that I can find "high compression" and "flat top" "stock" pistons for a 1800cc engine so I'm assuming those are both correct, but high compression ones are the ones I should have. (And yes, assumptions are dangerous.)

But the other parts ... that's not so easy when you don't even the part numbers/specs.

So the Question(TM):
Does anyone have a part book which covers these parts for a '74 euro spec model and would be kind enough to check the numbers?

Or the specs for the cam?

Also: If there are other differences (outside displacement/fuel injection to 1700cc US-spec engine) I'd like to hear about them.

I've read quite many type4-engine articles here in thesamba and shoptalkforums, but most people run these engines on buses and the usage is quite different so most of the camshaft discussions are a bit off. Usually those don't go to nitpicky details, like part numbers, either.

If someone has this kind of engine I'm of course interested. I've contacted some of the local 4-owners about this and they just wished me good luck.

Well .... they are correct of course but it doesn't stop me from trying.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try to get you what you need.

Question: did this car originally come with the automatic transmission or did it fome from another vehicle? This is moderately important as there were numerous hydarulic valve body and vacuum combinations . These were generally set up to match the characteristics of the engine they were mated to. Swapping around can cause some drivability issues....but should becable to be adjusted around.

The Euro spec carbed 1.8 as you note.....had 8.6:1 compression. And 41 x 34 valves.

As the 1.7L generated 82hp .....much of which was a direct combination of higher compression (8.2:1 as compared to 7.3:1 in the California D-jet injected models)....and the D-jet injection. .....in the carbed 1.7L fof 411, the early grind camshaft that was the same for early injection was used along with 7.8:1 compression. With this combination the carbed 1.7l generated 68hp.

The D-jet camshaft will work fine with carbs.....but is not really optimized for them. I have heard that the camshaft for the Euro spec 1.8L is identical to the cam for the AN series motor of the Euro spec Porsche 914 which ran the same hp numbers, same compression ratio (8.6:1) and the same 40 PDSIT carburettors.

I can check to be sure...but i believe the Web Cam part # most used on a stock AN 1.8L is the web 86 also listed as 00-142.
Later i should be able to pull up the factory 1974 part #....but i would not use any of the factory cams. They were well made but a poor design for breathing and cooling.
You will also have a very hard time finding one with lifters that match and are safe to use.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ray, excellent info again.

Yes, originally an automatic, that's why I was asking.

And of course it really doesn't match to the engine it now has, the engine being all wrong: Automatic works but IMHO it could work better.

I've heard stories about smooth gear changes, from reliable sources, so those should exist.

I got a manual gearbox and at least most of the manual- related parts with the car (pedal assembly, clutch, gear selector shaft and clutch pedal cylinder) as spare parts if I ever want to change it to manual, but so far I like the automatic, I'm a lazy guy. Smile

The point about lifters is very good and something I've quite totally forgotten as basically a non-issue normally.

But lo and behold: One of my WTB-advertisements found an AN- engine. Surprised

The (very local, <10 miles) seller said he can't remember what parts it has inside, but it wasn't very expensive either, so I'll go and have a look once the winter sets in: No hurry then.

One thing he remembers: It's from an automatic and has most (all perhaps) of the accessories still attached.

If I'm lucky it has a pair of PSDIT40s and big valves in heads ... just like a lottery win, right?

Something I didn't expect so soon, that's for sure.

Anyway, I promised to swap it to my current engine (and some money) if it has at least most of the stuff an AN-engine should.

Next: The camshaft.

I believe you when you say it's not too good but that bring us some major questions, like: What kind of camshaft I should use?

Most discussions I could find about camshafts (in a type 4 engine) are bus related and don't really apply to much lighter (and faster) 412.

Any spesific links?

(I'll do a search here (4xx-forum) and read all I can find: The winter is long, dark and cold, so I'll have plenty of time. It's already only +2C/35F here in North, no season to do anything car-related outside. )
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also go to the Shoptalk Forums and look at the type4rum, 411/412 forum and the 914 forum. Lots of good people for just tech. The folks on the type 4rum know alot more about non-bus type 4 tech than those here.

I am a fuel injection guy. I have a lot less experience with type 4 and carbs. Ask for Piledriver over on the STF.

Webcam makes pretty much replacement camshafts.....some of the best. The one I listed is actually a 95% coppy of the original 914 camshaft with small but significant improvements. The lifters they sell are matched to their cam which is critical.

For instance.....the webcam #73....is their version of the stock 411/412 for the D-jet injection. It maintains the very critical valve timing and lobe center to run D-jet.....but with slightly more lift and duration. It does this by going back to the timing from the V-series cams used from 1968 to 1971. Excellent cam.

You need a different cam than the web 73.. Webcam makes one just for it.

Also....Jake Raby designed numerous camshafts for type 4. Many of these versions are sold by the type 4 store. They are all based on Web blanks and lifters but have special improved and proven grinds.
The one I have and will be using in my build fkming up....again for D-jet.....is the Raby 9550.....its basically a web 73....but has a split pattern so it has a bit more exhaust overlap to run the heads cooler. Since the time i bought that cam he has also fielded a design called the 9590 that is the same but with certain optimizjng to run better with ethanol fuels.

Ask on thr STF about which webcam and which Raby cams you need. There are also a couple from European motorworks that may be a good fit. Those people know more about carbed cams than I do. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ray, that makes a lot of sense.

This will progress some time at winter when I get my hands on the new engine and can see what accessories it has.
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft (whole engine - AN) question Reply with quote

An update to this: New old engine bought and now in the trunk and it looks like it has been sitting in a barn last 20 years. And it's stuck. I hope there's more salvable parts in it than just the block.

(Pictures will follow: I was ready to take them yesterday and then the camera batteries died on me, damn.)

But it has correct engine code and correct carburators for this engine (B 40 PDSIT says the casting).

Anyway, this engine hasn't been in use in ages so I have to open it (at least partially) and see how bad it from inside.

It's also from an automatic so it should have correct distributor and camshaft for me.

Although from a Variant (?), as it has the oil filler tube on the back and not on top like sedan. Easy to fix at rebuild.
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft (whole engine - AN) question Reply with quote

Just an update: Some pictures of the engine and (the other) carburetor disassembled.

http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/412/mosa/
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft (whole engine - AN) question Reply with quote

Nice work! Coming along! Ray
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: AN - engine disassembly thread now Reply with quote

Not much progress in winter as I didn't find a garage for the job (and I already have one engine inside), but now it's summer again and we can do stuff outside (actually in trunk, as you can see), nice. Currently +12C (53F), that's not much, but we had two weeks about +23C (73F), that was nice.

Disassembly has progressed almost to the block, one piston is stuck and one bolt didn't want to open, but nothing major so far. Everything is just rusty and dusty and frankly, looks quite horrible.

We'll see how much of this is salvable and/or how much work it requires.

http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/412/mosa/#newest
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: AN - engine disassembly thread now Reply with quote

Kharon8 wrote:
Not much progress in winter as I didn't find a garage for the job (and I already have one engine inside), but now it's summer again and we can do stuff outside (actually in trunk, as you can see), nice. Currently +12C (53F), that's not much, but we had two weeks about +23C (73F), that was nice.

Disassembly has progressed almost to the block, one piston is stuck and one bolt didn't want to open, but nothing major so far. Everything is just rusty and dusty and frankly, looks quite horrible.

We'll see how much of this is salvable and/or how much work it requires.

http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/412/mosa/#newest

Wow...lots of corrosion! Keep up the good work! Ray
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Camshaft (whole engine - AN) question Reply with quote

Update to this:

93mm domed pistons (AN spesific) basically do not exist anymore. Duh.

Dished lower the compression a bit too much (should be 8.5:1) so I'll probably go to 96mm flat top pistons.

Meanwhile I had the engine tin (with a bunch of smaller parts) and fan box sand blasted and painted, they look much better now.

http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/412/mosa/IMG_4241.jpg
http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/412/mosa/IMG_4242.jpg

Fan box has serious corrosion on air outlets (bottom in pic), I don't know yet what to do to that, if anything.

Anyway, nice looking parts are always progress.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Camshaft (whole engine - AN) question Reply with quote

Kharon8 wrote:
Update to this:

93mm domed pistons (AN spesific) basically do not exist anymore. Duh.

Dished lower the compression a bit too much (should be 8.5:1) so I'll probably go to 96mm flat top pistons.

Meanwhile I had the engine tin (with a bunch of smaller parts) and fan box sand blasted and painted, they look much better now.

http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/412/mosa/IMG_4241.jpg
http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/412/mosa/IMG_4242.jpg

Fan box has serious corrosion on air outlets (bottom in pic), I don't know yet what to do to that, if anything.

Anyway, nice looking parts are always progress.

Ok...the corrosion at the lower outlets is galvanic corrosion specifically because the steel from the heat exchangers overlapped and touched/rested against the aluminum/magnesium alloy of the cooling air housing.
Also probably made worse by any salt on the roads.

So...choices:

I would not file or grind away the roughness. There is enough metal eaten away already and this material can be brittle.

If the rough area laps far outside of where the heat exchangers overlap when they are installed....you "could" clean it very well...sandblast and then fast evaporating clean solvent like circuit board cleaner to remove all oils...then smooth it with a high metal content epoxy putty.
But....it is very hard to get anything...even paint...to stick to this material.

Moving forward, to prevent galvanic contact between the steel from the heat exchanger and the cooling manifold...and also to keep wear from the movement/rubbing between the two parts...which I have seen destroy almost as many cooling manifolds.....you can acquire orange or black high temperature silicone rubber sheet about 3mm (0.125") thick.

Adhere a strip of it to the cleaned rough area with a high temperature RTV...and it can overlap outward to cover any visibly rough areas. This combination will seal out any new moisture...and act as not only a galvanic separator between steel and magnesium/aluminum...but also will keep the steel heat exchanger from vibrating/rubbing/wearing at the magnesium....and will also uniformly clean up the looks.

Ray
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Camshaft (whole engine - AN) question Reply with quote

Hello Ray!

Good point with the rubber, I was thinking only sealant or something like that. Permatex Supracopper can stand 300C, plenty enough for this spot, but of course not enough by itself.

I think piece of thin-walled silicone hose could also be used and it would stay put on its own ... no idea if suitable hose exists, I have to look.

No hurry anyway, lot of work needs to be done first. (Like swapping camshafts for my other hobby car, more urgent job.)
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Camshaft (whole engine - AN) question Reply with quote

Kharon8 wrote:
Hello Ray!

Good point with the rubber, I was thinking only sealant or something like that. Permatex Supracopper can stand 300C, plenty enough for this spot, but of course not enough by itself.

I think piece of thin-walled silicone hose could also be used and it would stay put on its own ... no idea if suitable hose exists, I have to look.

No hurry anyway, lot of work needs to be done first. (Like swapping camshafts for my other hobby car, more urgent job.)

Yes I have used this exact item...thin walled silicone hole makes a nice gasket. Most industrial supply houses have this.
Or...some racing shops have spark plug jacketing that goes over spark plug wires. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: