Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Building a Stock ish Type 1 engine for the 1971 VW Bus?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Stock ish Type 1 engine for the 1971 VW Bus? Reply with quote

Yeah, I know! The stock exhaust could just make this little engine run hot, especially with the W-100. Another reason to re-think the cam! I am not opposed to the Idea of re-thinking this engine with a different cam, say One of those mild ones like the Web-Cam 86 then I could keep this nice quite exhaust system. Suppose I won't know anything about how the engine would perform in the bus until it's in the bus. Something I find too daunting a task at the moment.

Thanks "Tcash" good point. I will check the distributor with the strobe and I think what is going on with the Zenith carb idle fast is related to it's throttles are a little messed up or it could be that old rusty iron base where the butterflies seat. It does not want to return all the way without a little extra force.

Hay so I just had an epiphany on how to do the preheat: I just happen to have this thing in the photo below laying around, I could get a 69 bus Oil Bath stock air cleaner with the heat control valve that works with it and the cable etc... (The original 1971 air cleaner I have has a bad "Wax Pellet thermostat")

As for heat riser tubes Almost don't need them, at least not in our (almost never freezes) climate here on the Southern Oregon coast. Will get tubes though and use the small hole gasket. Which side does it go on?

69 VW Bus Thermostat Flap with the Pre-Heat control lever.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Stock ish Type 1 engine for the 1971 VW Bus? Reply with quote

borninabus wrote:
as madmike pointed out, the only reason NOT to run it would be the restrictive stock exhaust.

you will want the 24mm vents and smaller jets--say, 125-130mains & 50idles
the carb is set up for about a 1835-1915 in a bug
i've used the bigger vents on bug engines, but in a bus, there's just no bottom end with them.
i might have some for you or...
www.356carburetorrescue.com is a good resource

you FOR SURE want the heat riser
it really likes preheated air too--i modified my stock intake elbow in order to use the oil bath A/C and reap it's benefits
jets can be changed with the carb in-situ, just a little tricky
the vents are kind of a bear to change, but they shouldn't be corroded in too bad, as someone has changed them to 25mm already.

This is valuable information and I can tell you have a bit of experience with these Zenith Carbs as they set up as a Single on the VW Type 1 engine!

And "Tcash" here is the Timing movie I just made. For Reference it's advancing between 7.5' BTDC and 29' BTDC and I've backed off the idle stop screw on the carb. so it does not touch and when it idles down all the way in the video, it is because I am holding the throttle closed and when it is slow to return (just past the middle of the movie forward) I am letting the throttle return to rest without holding it closed. Timing iMovie.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Building a Stock ish Type 1 engine for the 1971 VW Bus? Reply with quote

Just wondering about the Venturi size? Can't find a reference anywhere on 25mm Zenith Venturi's!
So The venturi's in this carburetor measured 25mm but are not marked. I did take them out to measure and used dielectric grease on all of the screws giving this old carb a bit of a cleaning but re-sealed it with it's old gaskets, old accel pump, hard O rings and Permatex High Tack on the base and top gaskets. (I Plan on rebuilding it once the jetting etc. figured out).

So How about total flow on an engine, Single carb configuration flow vs duals? Looked up the Zenith on the flow chart Carburetor Airflow Comparisons for the VW. When a single carb is used vs duals, does the actual flow increase due to both barrels working in tandem as my RaceTrim intake manifold plenum joins both barrels together? Is there too much flow? Probably why the small Venturi sizes work better!
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Stock ish Type 1 engine for the 1971 VW Bus? Reply with quote

what i can tell you is that intake velocity is important and a bus needs as much as it can get.

the 25mm vents could be homemade (24s opened up on a lathe) or the 25mm vents came on porsche "super" models.

not much book science behind it, but i speak from experience:
get a good header, the right vents and jets and be done with it Wink
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Stock ish Type 1 engine for the 1971 VW Bus? Reply with quote

Heat risers installed.
Manifold operating at 132' and climbing,
Heat Riser incoming 435' and climbing,
Heat riser exit side 170' and climbing but just a little.
I'm probably going to need to mix the incoming air properly to stop the climbing temperatures. Also I am going to need a choke cable or servo actuator of some sort to the enrichment valve so it will start.

Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Stock ish Type 1 engine for the 1971 VW Bus? Reply with quote

Uhhh. Under normal circumstances, your air cleaner would have thermostatic control for the inlet temperature (68-71 used a cable slaved off the engine cooling thermostat, 1971 had its own self contained bulb in the snout of the air cleaner.
While I must say I'm a great fan of the 1971 oil bath air cleaner, I doubt you're gonna plumb one to that monster Vergasser you have there now.
Not sure how you preheat the air. Old Porsches had a pretty elegant, low tech way with the butterflies and nozzles directing a bit of waste cooling air at the air cleaners.
But I really think perhaps it is time to do more testing with a load and in the vehicle. I think the results you are getting now are not under load (unless that is really a dyno hooked up.) Further the dynamics of air flow and vehicle movement are gonna make a big difference. So, put it together and drive it!
Getting accurate temp measurement will be harder , but the proof is in the bottom line, so to speak.
If it shows poor driveablity, then perhaps a remote reading temp gauge might help.
(I recently bought a Chinese Digital combo VOM and clamp meter (amps AC)
And low and behold this thing has a cable and a tiny temp probe. Just checking on a water heater it seemed to be pretty sensitive.)
So, they are out there- remote reading temp gauges.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Stock ish Type 1 engine for the 1971 VW Bus? Reply with quote

It's going to be a while before this engine goes into the bus! About all I can do now for comparison would be to check manifold temperatures again with the hot air hose disconnected from the top of the Zenith and see if the manifold temperature keeps climbing that way. Yeah, it's No load. Just a turn in on the throttle stop screw rev's it pretty good.

For sure need to figure out the plumbing. Maybe a plumbing rubber boot! http://www.hps-siliconehoses.com/hps-2-3-8-2-9-16-60mm-65mm-reducer-coupler-silicone-hose-blue.html Or just replace the intake hose with some 60mm flex hose. But that would look pretty bad with tape and all to make it fit.
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Stock ish Type 1 engine for the 1971 VW Bus? Reply with quote

i used a plain rubber boot from home depot to modify my stock intake elbow.
cut it up, and epoxied on. holding up fine.

i also made some modifications to my oil bath to flow enough air for the zenith.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Build Sheet 1679cc stock-ish engine Reply with quote

Thanks "borninabus I just may do that too. Here is the updated build sheet and carburetor jetting info.

Danwvw wrote:
Build Sheet for the 1679cc engine.
1679cc Type 1 Engine Build Sheet: Special thanks to everyone here on the Samba that participated.
Machine Work: Local shops,
Misc: Parts and service: Bug Germinators, North Bend OR.
Engine Case: 1971 VW Bus AE 034 XXX 60 SAE HP, Dual Port Serial Number, AS-41 Magnesium, Inserted for 8mm studs and deep #3, Full Flow oil return and block off, Stock 1600 Cylinder Openings.
88mm Bore, 69mm Stroke,
Stock Solex PICT 34/3 Carburetor Zenith NDIX 32 P010 25mm venturi's,
RaceTrim Plenum Intake Manifold (Heat Riser Tubes connected),
Cam W-100 with 276' 236' at .050" and .420" Valve Lift with 1.1:1 Rockers,
Heads New L3 DRD Racing Heads, 3 angle valve job, stock sized VW 35.5mm X 32mm SS valves and single high rev valve springs,
Scat Solid Rocker shaft and swivel adjusters from PowerHaus, 1.1:1 Ratio stock VW rockers,
Stock Push Rods,
Push Rod Tubes are CB Performance 1565 Large ID Racing,
Lifters cb-performance Stock Lifters,
CR Compression Ratio 8.0:1
Rods Stock from the old engine resized,
Crankshaft: 69mm Counterweighted 4140 Forged Chromoly from CB-Performance,
Piston and Cylinders 88mm AA ThickWall from Aircooled.Net
Flywheel Stock VW 200mm, Surfaced and drilled for 8 dowels,
Pressure Plate: Not on the engine yet,
Throw Bearing: Not chosen yet,
Clutch Disc: Not chosen yet,
Aftermarket Aluminum degree pulley with Black lettering,
Balancing: Everything: Rods, Pistons with wrist pins, Crank and Flywheel Balanced Separately due to changing the flywheel after the engine was together,
Stock Bocar Fuel Pump, Bocar Alternator style fuel pump, Back to stock 1300-1600 Bocar fuel pump to make room for a all thread stud to brace the carburetor, the fuel pump required minor filing and bending fuel lines.
Oil Pump 26mm aftermarket 111115107AKHD with Empi Steel Full Flow Cover Plate,
Oil lines and remote filter,
Castrol GTX 5W30 motor oil with Lucas TB Plus Zinc Oil Additive,
German Bosch Distributor 205AN DVDA 009 with points, Timing is set at 7.5' BTDC Static, 29' BTDC Dynamic,
Bosch 4 ohm Coil,
Bosch 09001 Spark Wires,
Spark Plugs are Bosch Super Plus W7-DC0 14mm X 3/4",
Generator, Original 1971 VW Bus Bosch 38 amp Generator,
Solid State Voltage Regulator Bosch 9-190-040-099E - 14V,
Left & Right Dual Port Intake Manifolds (Original Stock manifolds),
Muffler Stock, Herst. Leistritz
Heater boxes, Stock,
Thermostat and Flaps installed.

Danwvw wrote:

The Zenith NDIX 32 P010 Center Mounted Carburetor has:
25mm Venturis,
#2 Accel nozal,
55 Accel Jets,
K4 Emulsion Tube,
180 Air Correction jets,
140 Idle air jets,
60 idle jets, and
135 main jets.

Last edited by Danwvw on Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Stock ish Type 1 engine for the 1971 VW Bus? Reply with quote

I just saw an ad today on the samba for a Porsche industrial engine that was in a bus and it's got a Zenith on it with the manifolds they used in 1959.

good running porsche 356a industrial engine Price: $4500

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Zenith! Calling all Jerry Riggers. Reply with quote

So here it is as it sit's Now! I am going to need two cables, Throttle and Choke. And without making a big deal out of this, Is there a way to run them both through the throttle cable route through the bus and then perhaps sheathed throttle cables over the top of the fan shroud? Or Cable and Sheath or something?

Last edited by Danwvw on Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Stock ish Type 1 engine for the 1971 VW Bus? Reply with quote

your enrichment valve is installed upside-down.
and the lever is installed double upside down.

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Stock ish Type 1 engine for the 1971 VW Bus? Reply with quote

I was wondering how the cable housing support was supposed to work the way it is!
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Stock ish Type 1 engine for the 1971 VW Bus? Reply with quote

I might have mentioned before, buses till about 1960 had manual chokes, so a VW part exists that is about the right length. It was installed on the seat pedestal and shot back parallelling the shift rod, kinda.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Zenith! Calling all Jerry Riggers. Reply with quote

Oh, Yeah, I remember that knob. I will look into doing it that way with one of the sheathed cables perhaps.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: PICT 34 vs Zenith Reply with quote

PICT 34 vs Zenith.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Stock ish Type 1 engine for the 1971 VW Bus? Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
so you think the 32Ndix is good? try a better exhaust Cool ,
what goes in MUST come OUT Laughing
don't restrict the carb with that paper tube Rolling Eyes doubt it will need any manifold heat ,, until cool weather Wink

I am sure your Right! But that is not what I am trying to do here with this little engine. I want it to be very quiet. Needs to run half way decent though! The plan is to put this engine into the bus just for a while while I upgrade the heads on my 1800cc Type 1 engine. Thanks for the input though.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Zenith Orings Reply with quote

Regarding Pump Jet Orings on the Zenith NDIX 32 Carburetor
Danwvw wrote:
Ok so is the top picture correct?

Or do the Orings position on to the threads where they are shown in the bottom photo?

dustymojave wrote:
Correct

volksnhousin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Stock ish Type 1 engine for the 1971 VW Bus? Reply with quote

I was browsing through your engine builds and enjoyed looking at things… I thought I would share a few thoughts I have about this engine.

If you keep the Zenith, a better flowing exhaust would probably be good. If you go stock carb you can probably get away with stock exhaust.

Perhaps installing 40 horsepower 1:1 ratio rockers would help the Engle 100 idle situation. Stock 1600 rockers are 1.1:1. Stock 40 hp rockers are 1:1… 40 horse rockers would make .037” less valve lift. .420 - .383 = .037 This might be something you want to try before installing a different cam.

Anyways, just some thoughts. Nice job on the engines and information. Have fun.

Andy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: 40 horse rockers on a dual port 1600 head Reply with quote

volksnhousin wrote:
I was browsing through your engine builds and enjoyed looking at things… I thought I would share a few thoughts I have about this engine.

If you keep the Zenith, a better flowing exhaust would probably be good. If you go stock carb you can probably get away with stock exhaust.

Perhaps installing 40 horsepower 1:1 ratio rockers would help the Engle 100 idle situation. Stock 1600 rockers are 1.1:1. Stock 40 hp rockers are 1:1… 40 horse rockers would make .037” less valve lift. .420 - .383 = .037 This might be something you want to try before installing a different cam.

Anyways, just some thoughts. Nice job on the engines and information. Have fun.

Andy

Danwvw wrote:
Very good Idea, I like it! Can try that later when the engine is in the bus if needed. Probably turn it in to a good MPG engine.

So which 40 horse rockers would work on a 1600 Dual Port head? Do I need rockers from the late 40 horse heads? Or Will any 40 horse rocker work?
40hp rockers Price: $ 20.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 18

Jump to: