Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spraying stock rubber mat's
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
danny gabbard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Spraying stock rubber mat's Reply with quote

Anybody spray and change color of factory rubber mats and have good look sticking ? And what did you use ? and prep method ? Thanks for any help and info !!
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive never sprayed rubber mats, but ive sprayed stuff like it. When I do that sort of thing, I wipe it very nearly just before shooting with some laquer thinner, then a coat or 2 of adhesion promoter, then a good flexable paint. Im a big fan of SEM single stage interior paint for that sort of work. I keep SEM Landau black in the gallons at the shop because I use it so often. Drys super fast too!
danny gabbard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buguy wrote:
Ive never sprayed rubber mats, but ive sprayed stuff like it. When I do that sort of thing, I wipe it very nearly just before shooting with some laquer thinner, then a coat or 2 of adhesion promoter, then a good flexable paint. Im a big fan of SEM single stage interior paint for that sort of work. I keep SEM Landau black in the gallons at the shop because I use it so often. Drys super fast too!
Are you adding flex agent and backing off on the hardner ? Can you bend the rubber parts and it not crack ? What are using for adhesion promoter , Something like mad dog ?
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No flex agent. The SEM is a 1k, so no hardener either. To be honest I have never really tried to bend anything to find out. But there wont be anything that will stand up to that. The SEM will be about as flexable as you can get. And you can get it in like 100 different colors. The jobber will have a flyer with the colors for you.
And yes, Bulldog for adhesion promoter. I dont know if the thinner does any good first, but in my mind I envision it "opening it up" to help stuff stick. This is the same procedure I use on all vinyl, rubber, plastic etc. Like dashess, glove boxes, center consoles....etc.

I will see if I can find an old mat at work tomorrow and I will spray one to see how much flex it has.
danny gabbard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its amaze'n the chemicals you could get back in the early 80s compared to what you can buy now! I use to get this sealer from R/N ,811 sealer. You could paint chrome , polished alum , glass and never worry about peeling. Nasty stuff , smelled like vinegar and they had to change to glass containers because it was eating through metal cans.
rrock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Spraying stock rubber mat's Reply with quote

danny gabbard wrote:
Anybody spray and change color of factory rubber mats and have good look sticking ? And what did you use ? and prep method ? Thanks for any help and info !!

As stated above, SEM is the way to go:

http://www.semproducts.com/refinish-flexible-coatings/color-coattm-aerosols

Changed my OEM rubber mats from grey to black and they still look amazing after 3 years...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: