Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New buggy owner!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FLbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:15 am    Post subject: New buggy owner! Reply with quote

Greetings, I'm a brand new buggy owner as of a couple days go. It's titled as a 1970, has a custom frame with aluminum floor, 6 point cage, early 1200cc, freshly painted, rewired, adjustable beams. There are quite a few odds and ends like steel braided brake lines, Facet electric fuel pump, and the dash is from a bus I believe. I've been shopping for the "right" buggy for years and hoping the value is there. Any input on what the car is worth would be appreciated. Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
FLbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you pay for it?
FLbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather not post that publicly if it's alright.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's what its worth....what you paid for it.
dschwerdt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the fact that a (probably) bus dash was incorporated. Keep the nostalgia. If you are happy, you paid exactly what it was worth. Drive it with pride and have FUN.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Value? It's relative - Not worth a Dollar more than the highest bidder will pay for it - I'd put it at $3k, no more than that.

Why the 'value' inquiry - are you looking to flip it?

bnc
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking buggy, especially the custom roll cage and lowered windscreen. The bus dash graft is unique and really cool, and the classic polished slots look great. If it runs and drives reliably and you like it, don't worry about the value. If you browse the classifieds listings for buggies on TheSamba, you will find a very wide spectrum on what people think their buggy is worth. My advice is to drive it as much as you can. When you do that, the value just goes up and up.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

“I’d rather own something that’s worth millions to nobody, than something that’s worth nothing to millions.”
― Jarod Kintz

We all are different, with different likes and dislikes, so worth is difficult to assess. You liked it enough to buy it, now drive it with a big smile on your face. It's a custom built vehicle, so don't be afraid to make changes to it and really make it yours. Who cares what anyone else thinks?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really one of the more original buggy builds I've seen lately, I like it. I've definitely never see someone use a bus dash, the way its integrated into the cage and the hood sides surround are impressive and work well. You should at least put a dummy panel in the radio slot

The hoop surrounding the bellhousing and integrated into the roll cage and chassis is another great idea. Porsche and the Meyers Manx monocoques had something similar. Just that chassis and cage is worth about $3K. Does the cage separate from the chassis?

The wrinkly/droopy seat covers and a 1200cc engine(36hp or 40hp?) both let down the concept a bit but I'd still put the value at least $5K-$6K

Is it a Meyers Manx or a manx clone?

What branch of the military are you in? What's your career specialty?

Last edited by BL3Manx on Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:21 pm; edited 3 times in total
gohunt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
Value? It's relative - Not worth a Dollar more than the highest bidder will pay for it - I'd put it at $3k, no more than that.

bnc

I just don't understand this response at all. Maybe intended to hurt a newbie's feeling? Maybe he/she shouldn't make a post asking folks to publicly appraise his new toy. Anybody on this site or anybody that has ever been around buggies knows that is not just a 3k buggy. If so. Me and likely everybody else paid too much....but then, if we did, then that would indicate the "market price" of a nice buggy is higher than 3k. Just my $0.02 worth...
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe intended to hurt a newbie's feeling?

Absolutely not. Value...especially if you just bought a buggy....is very individual. It depends on a lot of factors. The small engine might be a huge detriment on value to some people but not others. The chopped windshield might be an issue to some people but not others. The plastic seats might be fine to someone but pure trash to someone else. Maybe someone doesn't like green. Maybe buggies are a dime a dozen where you live. Maybe they come up once in a blue moon. All those things impact people's perception of "value".

People often posts links to buggies and ask opinions if the asking price is reasonable and they get a lot of responses.

People also post pics of their buggies which they are selling and ask if their price seems reasonable. They too get lots of opinions.

But to say "Hey...I just bought this buggy for a secret amount and want to know what YOU think its worth" is kinda strange. If you like it, you like the price, and it will make you happy then what you paid for it is just right.

That's why I said the value is what you paid for it.
daanbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Quote:
Maybe intended to hurt a newbie's feeling?

Absolutely not. Value...especially if you just bought a buggy....is very individual. It depends on a lot of factors. The small engine might be a huge detriment on value to some people but not others. The chopped windshield might be an issue to some people but not others. The plastic seats might be fine to someone but pure trash to someone else. Maybe someone doesn't like green. Maybe buggies are a dime a dozen where you live. Maybe they come up once in a blue moon. All those things impact people's perception of "value".

People often posts links to buggies and ask opinions if the asking price is reasonable and they get a lot of responses.

People also post pics of their buggies which they are selling and ask if their price seems reasonable. They too get lots of opinions.

But to say "Hey...I just bought this buggy for a secret amount and want to know what YOU think its worth" is kinda strange. If you like it, you like the price, and it will make you happy then what you paid for it is just right.

That's why I said the value is what you paid for it.

Well said! Buggies are one of the most customized vehicles out there. Everyone has thier own idea to what a buggy should look like. Each is built in its own way. Very few are exactly alike.
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice buggy and very cool dash. Love the dark green color

-Jeff
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gohunt wrote:
didget69 wrote:

bnc

I just don't understand this response at all. Maybe intended to hurt a newbie's feeling? Maybe he/she shouldn't make a post asking folks to publicly appraise his new toy. Anybody on this site or anybody that has ever been around buggies knows that is not just a 3k buggy. If so. Me and likely everybody else paid too much....but then, if we did, then that would indicate the "market price" of a nice buggy is higher than 3k. Just my $0.02 worth...

Allow me to clarify my response, so that no one feels insulted, or suffers Rectitus Injurious...

I'd never intentionally hurt the feelings of anyone, Newbie or otherwise.

MANY people pay 'too much' for an unknown condition bag o' bones buggy, that looks slick on the outside, but has inner demons.

The 1200 engine - while a runner - is not the first choice of most people.
The chassis quality is hard to judge from a couple photos. It may be made from thinwall steel tubing sourced from Lowes for all we know.

A valuation on a buggy is EXTREMELY speculative - as someone alluded to, no two buggies are built alike.

Are we talking old, worn drum brakes on all four corners, or new brake parts throughout? Good steering box/linkage parts? Thin, splash-fiberglass body, or quality Manx-clone body?

Or true Manx body?

Old bias-ply tires?

There are lots of factors involved - location, time of year, etc.

Why hesitate to tell price paid? It is either a potential steal in purchase price, or a wallet lightener with the Seller getting a deal.

My $0.02 - and when people ask for opinion, they should not be afraid to accept legit opinions offered.

YMMV -

bnc
prkid424
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:

The wrinkly/droopy seat covers and a 1200cc engine(36hp or 40hp?) both let down the concept a bit ....

I have a 1200cc 40HP on my buggy and love it. Its plenty to go around town and cruise. Maybe sometime in the far away future there will be an engine upgrade if this one dies but what I have now has proven to be plenty. Like others said, make it your own, drive the hell out of it, and rest assured paid exactly what is was worth to you. Besides - who can put a price tag an amazing memories.
FLbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input all. No hurt feelings and I paid $5500. To answer someone's question, the roll cage appears that it can be separated from the frame. The cheesy seats will definitely be changed.
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I *love* the stance, color, and the bias-ply tires really fit the car appearance-wise so much better than modern radials, IMO. Thanks for sharing.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLbuggy wrote:
To answer someone's question, the roll cage appears that it can be separated from the frame. The cheesy seats will definitely be changed.

That's good, I just asked because I've seen roll cages welded to the chassis making it impossible to remove the body without cutting something.

What do you do in the military?
FLbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BL3manx, I'm in the Coast Guard.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: