Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Do you take your Beetle to the VW dealership for service?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Antonio Trejo
VW Parts Dealer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Do you take your Beetle to the VW dealership for service? Reply with quote

Do you still take your Beetle to the VW dealership for service?

Despite the high bills for service and spare parts, I trusted in VW for the 6-months maintenance on my Sedan since 1994. But that VW-customer relationship is over for me. Last month I sent my Sedan for basic service and check up to the dealership, and they made a bad job:
- 3 of 5 acorn nuts on the oil drain plate were replaced with standard hex nuts!
- One of the clamps on the air filter case was missing
- They used a high pressure washer machine to clean the engine bay and they damaged the original stickers on the deck lid!
- All the coins in the ashtray just disappear!
- One nut on the left-rear shock absorber was missing, but they did not report it!

I will make the service and I will take my Sedan to the test emission center by myself, I do not not need more VW customer service!
I will be not back!
Genuine VW Ultima Edition parts
Genuine VW Type 2 watercooled parts
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do all my own work, but if I didn't I would never take it to a VW dealer. I doubt they would even accept the car for service! They know nothing and cannot get the parts. Last time I was in a dealer (about 15 years ago) I asked for fuel line and were told they stopped carrying anything for air cooleds ten years before that.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I used to get the bi-annual Smog Check done at the dealership for my ’78 vert.
For my other three newer VW’s going to VW service is the choice of last resort.
VW dealership service does a good job,
Only once in 30 years did my local VW dealer screw up, but has become rudely expensive,
So they only get my cars when I can’t wait for my independent VW/Audi shop,
Or it’s a warrantee issue.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around where I live, at least two VW dealerships I know of gave up supplying any kind of parts and performing any service on aircooled
VW's by the late 1990's. I think that's kind of typical. So dealer service was/is not an option for a great many.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Do you take your Beetle to the VW dealership for service? Reply with quote

Come on, guys, that's like complaining that the local Ford dealer won't service your Model T. Face it, you're on your own. DIY or find a good independent mechanic.
Joe Bence
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think techs/dealerships in the US would know what to do with an old aircooled VW, a few years ago a local dealership was having a grand opening and wanted some old aircooled cars there so the local club helped them out, we brought my dads car, the techs came out to see the cars I had some interesting conversations with the techs none believed that the car was VW powered "what kind of engine is that?"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you take your Beetle to the VW dealership for service Reply with quote

Don't miss the fact that the original poster is in Mexico City so it's only been 12 years or so since the dealers were still selling them new.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Antonio Trejo
VW Parts Dealer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you take your Beetle to the VW dealership for service Reply with quote

coad wrote:
Don't miss the fact that the original poster is in Mexico City so it's only been 12 years or so since the dealers were still selling them new.

That true, but many of the young mechanics at the VW dealership in Mexico never were trained about the air cooled Sedan.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the USA, most if not ALL the air cooled VW trained mechanics are in their 60's or older. You see some of these now retired techs contributing on this site.

I try to avoid any dealer at all costs. IMOP, they are some of the biggest rip off artists in the repair business. I took my Jeep in for an oil change cause I was busy and it was $15 bucks cheaper than I could do it myself. Within 15 minutes of leaving, I got a call from the service writer telling me I needed their $75 front alignment. I asked "um, I took it in for an oil chance", why am I being called for this? Now, my front tires were wearing perfectly and their was no issues with the alignment. It pissed me off and I unloaded on the service writer while calling them out for trying to rip me off.
The same thing happens when my GF takes her car in for a warranty recall. They see a woman and suddenly her car needs all this work that it doesn't need.

There's nothing worse than scum bag thieves in the automotive repair business. I wish there was more accountability for these businesses.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
The same thing happens when my GF takes her car in for a warranty recall. They see a woman and suddenly her car needs all this work that it doesn't need.

There's nothing worse than scum bag thieves in the automotive repair business. I wish there was more accountability for these businesses.

This - unfortunately - is absolutely true. In my personal experience, my sister, my mother, and Mrs. Cusser were all told horror stories about the repairs needed, and they were ALL made up B.S.

Even when we took the 2005 Yukon to the dealer for a sunroof fix (they couldn't figure out was wrong, they threw their hands in the air, and I fought and got my money back), seemed they wanted to sell new radiator hoses and belts, said they had never been changed, and I had changed them 2 months earlier with a water pump job, hose still had Gates sticker and worm-type hose clamps not GM. I think they went by "CarFax", never even opened the hood.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No shop gets my oil changes anymore (never for the bug anyways), the quicklube places always overfill and I swear they put the plug back on with an impact wrench.

wcfvw69 wrote:
I try to avoid any dealer at all costs. IMOP, they are some of the biggest rip off artists in the repair business.

I donno, I've had good luck with the smaller, more rural Ford dealers. (Got a '94 F150 and an '04 coupe)
Usually get the less easy maintenance (auto transmission flush, coolant flush) done there, price wise they're not much worse than anywhere else and I know they're using Ford parts (for what it's worth).

Now, they did try to charge me over a grand for a new fuel pump (why are fuel pumps in the gas tank anyways?). But apparently that was mostly the Motorcraft part, as when I told them 'no thanks' they went and found an aftermarket pump and the quote came down to what an independent shop quoted me (~$600 iirc).

Never had any extra service pushed; they did let me know my brake pads were on the thin side, but they were correct.

But yeah.
I'm fairly sure the local VW dealer does not want to see my bug and I'm not sure I'd trust them to work on it either.
Found a local general auto shop where the owner himself works on the aircooled VW's, the couple of times I've hit an issue it's gone there and has been well taken care of.
Gonna be sad when he retires.

Antonio, if this was their first major screwup in 21 years, have you called and talked with them?
At least let them know the reason you're never coming back.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

never seen a car come out of a dealer that wasent effed up.
and my vw dealer wouldent know where to find the motor.
TheAmazingDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my 71 SB to the dealer for an alignment a few months ago after rebuilding my steering. I took it to VW for two reasons.

1. I trusted the dealership over Wheel Works to do an alignment on an ACVW correctly.

2. I thought they'd get a kick out of it. The computers do not accept ACVW VINs, but they work on them every once in a while anyway. Since it didn't need any parts, I thought they'd have fun with it.

Well, they did do the alignment. Properly. It took them 24 hours and disassembling the front end again to do it, and then figure out how to put it back together and re-adjust the steering column properly so the horn would work... For an alignment...

NEVER again. I'll use a ruler next time.
Antonio Trejo
VW Parts Dealer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

windfish wrote:
Antonio, if this was their first major screwup in 21 years, have you called and talked with them?
At least let them know the reason you're never coming back.

I wanted to complain about the bad service with the VW manager, but I changed of mind: my VW adviser is a good man, I have been dealing with him since 1994, he knows my Sedan since I got it brand new from the showroom. I do not want to leave bad feedback for him.

The problem at the dealership workshop is the mechanic team: young boys with out training about air-cooled VW´s.
Back in 2010 I sent my Sedan to another new VW dealership, they had some good offers for service and spare parts, so I requested a new clutch kit and a new oil cooler... but they took off the shutters and the thermostat and threw them away! just because those parts "are not necessary", that time I spoke with the VW manager and I got a 100% refund for my missing thermostat system.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily I have two air cooled shops in my town. What I can't do (or don't want to) myself I'll take it to one of them to do. The only way I'd step foot in to a dealership is if I had a brand new car under warranty.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antonio Trejo wrote:
I wanted to complain about the bad service with the VW manager, but I changed of mind: my VW adviser is a good man, I have been dealing with him since 1994, he knows my Sedan since I got it brand new from the showroom. I do not want to leave bad feedback for him.

Maybe one bad (although it sounds really bad) experience is not reflective on your dealership, just the mechanic who was on duty that day. Unless it's really bad, I believe in second chances (not a third, however).

Having said that, Antonio, please post more pictures of your car!
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Do you take your Beetle to the VW dealership for service? Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
off.

Funny you should mention this. The mechanic I take my water cooled cars to was recommended to me by my sister-in-law. Any mechanic recommended by a female, you know they are honest. This guy is. I have never had to worry about any "ups and adders" when it comes to repair and maintenance.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing the 59 home in 1991 the fan seperated from the generator somewhere in Delaware and I had it towed to closest vw dealer; turned out several of the techs were driving air cooled and were all over it. Few months later got parts from dealer in Queens NY for oil change and when I came back after finding the gaskets were way too big a voice from the depths of the parts rack said in German accent "Oh ja you need de small vuns" and came out with the few remaining 36hp kits they had.
The 2001 beetle glx we had went to dealer untill SWMBO trashed the engine; from tben on it was the local indy down the street. While at dealer I would request air cooled parts from the young guys at the parts department, kinda like asking scouts at a jamboree to find a left hand smoke shifter. The older guy there would supress a grin and let em go look in computer and then step in whe. I pushed for special order as it must be in the warebouse.
Antonio Trejo
VW Parts Dealer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:
Having said that, Antonio, please post more pictures of your car!

I requested new rear torsion bars that time at VW.
My opinion about my VW dealership:
- Free coffee and cookies: OK
- Attractive girls on the front desk: OK
- Kids' & Children's room area: OK
- Floor: OK, clean
- Prices on service: too high
- Quality service: regular-bad
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:
Antonio Trejo wrote:

Maybe one bad (although it sounds really bad) experience is not reflective on your dealership, just the mechanic who was on duty that day.

While I agree somewhat with this, I think that these bad businesses have a culture of RIPING people off. Trying to rip people off doesn't come from the mechanics, it comes from the management or owners. A well run shop would have oversight of any repairs suggested and instill a culture of honesty and quality of work.

If a shop does a poor job once but has a history of good, honest work, I totally agree that the person should give them another chance. If a shop/business has a history of blatantly ripping people off or trying to, they should be reported and avoided.

Out of HS, I was trained to be an alignment/frame tech by a very honest owner who had wonderful values. I left his honest shop a few years later and joined a new one. This new shop owner was a thief. I'll never forget him challenging me two weeks in that I couldn't find any bad parts while doing an older persons alignment. We went back and forth in a calm manner. I called in sick the next day, found a new job/shop and a buddy of mine helped me pick up my tools/box and move it to the new place the following day. I had a few choice words w/this now ex box about the value of integrity and honest before leaving him.

What's truly amazing is like another poster noted, an honest shop CAN be very profitable and very busy. Word of mouth and the internet with all the reviews being given propel this. I know of several, local shops that can be a bitch to get into. One is a Porsche shop. EVERYONE in the area knows this shop and how honest the owner and his techs are. Another is a VW transmission shop with a stellar reputation. I waited 2 months last time I dropped a transmission for a rebuild.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: