Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Deep Smoothies German Center" Rims
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nikkoleto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Deep Smoothies German Center" Rims Reply with quote

Hi all

I have Chrome Rims with Smooth Hubcaps on my 73 Thing but now I want to change rims. I have been trying to decide what type of Rims I want when I came across and advertisement [in TheSamba] for "Deep Smoothies German Center" rims.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1776900

I love the way they look on Bugs etc but I haven't a clue how they would look on a Thing. My question is Has anyone installed those Rims on their Thing? If so, would it be possible for you to post a Photo[s] of your Thing with a description of the Rims/Tire Size Combination you used? Also, I am interested in what others think about those rime?

Thank You in advance
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the wheel, dropped into an existing photo:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hope that helps, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would rim offset an issue in this situation?
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The seller says he can do any backspace, so one just needs to know what to order. (I have no knowledge of or association with the seller.)
Nikkoleto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Hey Reply with quote

The reason for this post was to see if anyone had these rims on their Thing. They look awesome on the American and imports but haven't seen any of Things.

In my mind I know how I want my Thing to look like with these rims but I don't have a clue about rim size, offset and tire size. Semper_Dad I do not know if offset would be an issue but it probably does. O well, I will keep on scouring the internet and see what I find.If I do find out anyone I will definitely post it here. Do the same folks OK?
Nikkoleto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
Here's the wheel, dropped into an existing photo:

How did u do that?
Hope that helps, Mondshine

mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe these images from the gallery will be helpful:

In the second illustration, the item #2; 5JK x 14 appears to be the stock 181 wheel.

Thanks to Captain Spalding for these illustrations.

If you chose to go with 15" wheels, your options for tires (and for disc brakes) will be expanded greatly.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nikkoleto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Thanx all Reply with quote

Moonshine

Hey thanx for the reply. I do appreciate the images you sent but to be honest let me say I have NO automotive talent. Trust me when I say that. What I need is for someone [expert] to tell me what size wheel to get, type of offset and tire size. When I was looking for wheels for my 87 Vanagon I "did" my homework on wheels and tires and thought I nailed it. Since I don't trust decisions I make when it comes to Cars etc. I sent my information to a friend who is a pro on Vanagons. Good thing I did. To save time. I had it wrong. Good thing I checked. I like those Deep Smoothie Rims and Baby Moons but I don't know what they look like on a Thing. I checked with the company that makes the rims and they don't have a photo or the specifics should I want to buy them. O well, again thanx for helping
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From that photoshopped pic, it seems like these rims are actually very similar to stock Thing rims.

How are they different?

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nikkoleto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:02 am    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

Westman

I am not sure. When I ask the person who sells them he want the info from me as to offsets etc. since they have a variety of wheel sizes I didn't have a clue. No I don't even know what the offset is for a regular tire and rim LOL ideally, I was hoping to see some photos of those rims on the thing and In a perfect VW world The owner would have all the information. I keep looking on the web for thing with the smoothie rims!!!!! For all I know they may look stupid on the thing.
ernieballbass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i didn't already have the BRMs, i would totally get a set of these wheels. i think they look great.

as far as dimensions are concerned, what do you want them to look like? stock or super wide? are you lowered?

i'm actually contemplating getting a tool like this:

https://www.ecstuning.com/ES2770120/?gclid=CNWdwKiGn8gCFQyPHwodxLsD1Q

it would be great to know exactly what fits and what doesnt fit.
Nikkoleto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

ernieballbass

That is a fantastic tool. I didn't know they had something like that. At the moment my Thing is NOT lowered. I always thought I should keep it standard because I like the look but then sometimes I think I want to lower it only an inch or two. Even If I wanted to I can't find anyone local to do it. With those smoothie wheels I am not sure I even want them because I have never seen good photos of them on a thing. I don't have that talent to look at something and visualize what it will look like. Did you see a photo of my 73? If so what do you think?

Later
ernieballbass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi Reply with quote

Nikkoleto wrote:
ernieballbass

That is a fantastic tool. I didn't know they had something like that. At the moment my Thing is NOT lowered. I always thought I should keep it standard because I like the look but then sometimes I think I want to lower it only an inch or two. Even If I wanted to I can't find anyone local to do it. With those smoothie wheels I am not sure I even want them because I have never seen good photos of them on a thing. I don't have that talent to look at something and visualize what it will look like. Did you see a photo of my 73? If so what do you think?

Later

ya i've seen a couple of photos of your yellow 181. i think it's very cool the way it sits, but i understand the desire to change things.

there are multiple threads about lowering the front by swapping out trailing arms and spindles and such. i'm a fan of reversible modifications. if budget were no concern, i would just get and entire bug beam spindle-to-spindle. then take off the thing beam and store it for that one day you change your mind and want to go back to stock lol. you'll drop the front about 2 inches.

the rears are a little more complicated. i lowered the trailing arms 2 clicks and the ride was awful haha. i ended up buying drop plates from atomwerks in an effort to restore some of the stock cushiness. i also had to notch the trailing arms themselves. that said, i haven't been able to test it (see my thread...). again, keep the stock spring plates just in case Wink

if you do drop it, that changes a lot of things as far as wheel fitment goes. i regret not buying that tool before i bought my BRMs. the back wheels fit fine, but i had to buy spacers to clear the trailing arms in the front.

what's nice about the wheels you like is that you have infinite possibilities as far as size/offset/backspace is concerned. i think 17s are probably the biggest i would go (15s the smallest).

hope this helps.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I'm late to the party.

While it may be true that the vendor can produce a rim with any backspace you want, that doesn't mean that the backspace you want, which gives that "deep smoothie" look, will work on the Thing. At 4-3/8", the backspace of a stock Thing wheel is among the largest of all VW wheels.

If you have a wheel made with a backspace that positions the wheel in the wheel well similarly to the stock wheel (which you definitely should, IMO) what you are going to end up with is a wheel that doesn't have that deep dish look, but instead looks like a 15" version of the stock 14" wheel. (That's not an altogether bad thing, considering there is a much greater selection of tires in 15") If you go for the deep smoothie look, that's going to push the tires outboard, likely resulting in rubbing on the fenders.

The stock wheel is 5 inches wide with a backspace of 4-3/8". The narrowest wheel the vendor offers is 6 inches, so you should spec a backspace of 4-7/8".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: