Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Garage Squad
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject: Garage Squad Reply with quote

Don't let them work on your VW.

Cruising the channels i ran across the episode where they work on a 74 Beetle (i think I know something about them).

In the process of rebuilding the engine, I see them install a aftermarket 009 with no o-ring. Then when they try to start it, they fry the Pertronix. Seriously, smoke and all. They blame the unit and say "we'll have to use points now".

Morons, just hook it up right.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serves you right for watching "reality" TV Razz

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watch VW work being done on the shows, and I cringe. At best, they don't show the work done off camera and only show the visually exciting parts (such as they are), and so much is just done wrong, like your example.

It's not even good entertainment.
Joe Bence
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All those TV automotive shows are a joke.............
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73sports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw a rerun. The car wasn't even a 74, it had the late type bulged out rear apron, with a single exhaust pipe cut out, and a Fuel Injection badge on the deck lid. Looked weird with 5 spoke wheels on it.

Central Jersey VW Society
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so....if I go to the local vw club and secretly film them effing up everything they touch I could have a tv show? Shocked sweet!! how much$$ can I make??
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Its only 4 bolts" Cool
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday that did a 77 Firebrid. In the closing scene the owner got in the car to drive it away and the door mirror wobbled like it was loose.

Details, details and details.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy said it had about 36hp and that his golf cart had more than that. Then there is the annoying Girl on the show that doesn't do anything, They have an occasional shot of her taking some trinket off a car but usually she is just talking. She is always one of the crew who gets to go on the test drive when it's done. Rolling Eyes

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These shows are supposedly for us car nuts you would think they would use one of us to pre watch the show to show them all the mistakes that they are putting on tape. I watch to see how bad and how many things they do not know about the cars they work on. I guess the think they that all mechanics that watch the shows are total idiots , and all the producers know you have to have a girl on the crew because that is the only way a person would watch the show, and there are women that know how to work on cars but I think this is not the women they are looking for.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deezal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The show is on right now. Did anyone notice the 75-79 rear apron.
I don't think it's a 74.

Deezal
busboyjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Squad Reply with quote

Lol!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Squad Reply with quote

I am always amused when Wheeler Dealers (which is a great show, just not quite "reality") shows their material expenses, and sales price, and call the difference "profit."

Only on the last show I saw (out of dozens) did they even mention how many hours of labor. They do not make money if Edd's hourly rate is considered. The sponsors, ads, and their BBC-Am contract are where the profit comes from!

It is also amusing to see just the "oily bits" taken care of, then the car has magically received a thorough detailing before coming on the turntable.

And due to production schedules, no doubt, sometimes tasks are not finished by the test drive filming, and they try to hide this. The early '60s blue Bug they did had an awful job on on the headliner (slack and creases). I suspect they pinned parts in place for the test drive filming, hoping it wouldn't show. It did!

One more thing... the sales negotiations are almost certainly staged (rehearsed) for filming. They always go the same route to a price. But I get it... it's not a documentary, just a presentation of the processes, simplified for TV.

They obviously love VWs (at least Edd does) and I can't blame him for putting a little "extra" work into making them right before sale, even if it is "off the clock/camera."

I would have liked to have met them when they were in SoCal filming a season. how did I miss that?
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Squad Reply with quote

Come on Glenn, what do you know about distributors anyway? its not like you've rebuilt hundreds of them or anything.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Squad Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
Come on Glenn, what do you know about distributors anyway? its not like you've rebuilt thousands of them or anything.

Stacy

Fixed for you Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Squad Reply with quote

It's just like medical shows for me. Having been a ER nurse for 25+ years, open heart recovery nurse for many years, I cannot watch medical shows because they are soooooo inaccurate and don't truly represent what goes on in the real world.

Grey's Anatomy, ER, etc. I know are entertainment but I can't bear to watch. I've had the same thought too about why don't they consult someone that really knows about how things work before filming it. But, I guess they are in it for entertainment and not for educational purposes.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Squad Reply with quote

I can't even watch this show or the Truck U show that Bono guy is on... Or the All Girls Garage (unless you turn the sound off...) or any of the stuff where they find cars that only need old stuff unbolted and new stuff bolted on and no real work required to do an actual restoration.
1967 Freedom Camper (SOLD)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Squad Reply with quote

busboyjake wrote:
Lol!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That's pretty amazing, no O-ring? Was that a NEW distributor that didn't come with an O-ring? Those guys should've known that. I've seen them guessing on stuff at Fast & Loud too.

I've only pulled '88 Mazda truck and Frontier distributors besides VWs, and they all had O-rings.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Squad Reply with quote

bigdog1962 wrote:
It's just like medical shows for me. Having been a ER nurse for 25+ years, open heart recovery nurse for many years, I cannot watch medical shows because they are soooooo inaccurate and don't truly represent what goes on in the real world.

Grey's Anatomy, ER, etc. I know are entertainment but I can't bear to watch. I've had the same thought too about why don't they consult someone that really knows about how things work before filming it. But, I guess they are in it for entertainment and not for educational purposes.

Because it would be boring to watch people do paperwork 90% of the time? Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Squad Reply with quote

Good one, Everett!

That part is true! Very Happy
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: