Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another Barrett-Jackson sale
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Another Barrett-Jackson sale Reply with quote

$38.5 yesterday at Barrett-Jackson: http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Archive/Event/Item/1974-VOLKSWAGEN-THING--178590

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and another for $28.6 : http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Archive/Event/Item/1973-VOLKSWAGEN-THING-181271

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
OG67westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize the acapulcos are rare, but I just don't care for those tops, or the circus tent stripes....
'61 Panel dove blue"Rche"
'65 Bug rusty"Tina"
'83 Porsche 944
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange, I thought they only came in the blue and white scheme, and the second one has a 73 vin, but no gas heater.

Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

American "Acapulcos" were inspired by the use of custom 181s used by various hotels in Mexico. The Acapulco hotel (in Acapulco) being only one of them. Since they were pretty much custom, they came in many colors. Colors may have been the hotel's official colors.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semper_Dad wrote:
American "Acapulcos" were inspired by the use of custom 181s used by various hotels in Mexico. The Acapulco hotel (in Acapulco) being only one of them. Since they were pretty much custom, they came in many colors. Colors may have been the hotel's official colors.

Interesting. I always thought Acapulco models were inspired by a particular hotel in Acapulco and VW of Mexico made a short special edition run of them while they were at it for the US market.

TTS makes yellow and orange aftermarket renditions I assume to match the two non-white colors most common to the US market for those who don't have a sharp negative opinion of the stripes or design.

Having said that, I did once see (not all that long ago) a green and white Acapulco model that claimed to be all original, and my skeptical eye could not see anything about it that contradicted that claim.

While neither BJ sale is original, both are fine looking examples to be sure. The yellow and white version probably had TTS contributions. The pink and white was probably custom made.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the info I have shows US versions to be blue/white.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Deckard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Acapulco" hotel in question is El Hotel Las Brisas, which at one point used VW Safaris in the familiar light blue.and white stripes. The cars were mostly used for room service deliveries (they had a car-hop type tray) and to shuttle guests from the lobby at the bottom of the hill all the way up to the bungalows above, a.necessity since most of the area is a frikkin' cliff. The hotel later on moved to either Jeeps or Mini-Mokes in a red and white striped scheme.

I think both Barrett examples are regular US Export VW's customized to look like Acapulco-Things.

I actually looked at the Spanish Wiki about Las Brisas and it says there were other color variants like red, orange and green plus white, so the story above checks out.
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few other results from Las Vegas 2015 BJ:

This 1973 for $12,650

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and a 1974 for $11,550

[/img]
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoyrtt wrote:

[/img]

I bet this is fun to drive when you forget to latch down the hood. Crying or Very sad

Downright scary if you ask me.

Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Shoyrtt wrote:

[/img]

I bet this is fun to drive when you forget to latch down the hood. Crying or Very sad

I once had the opportunity to check out a 181 that experienced damage from "flying hood syndrome". Luckily it was being transported and not driven. Hood flew up in Kamikaze fashion took out the windshield which in turn released the convertible top. Hood, windshield frame, top and frame were trashed. Not a pretty site.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One morning decades ago I woke up with a couple of inches of rock hard rained on snow on my hood. I couldn't break it off so took off to work with it still on there. As I went up in elevation the temperatures warmed to above freezing and the snow suddenly lifted up but I thought the hood had come open and that all H*!! was about to happen. What a relief when the crust blew apart when it hit the windshield.

I was also once just beginning to pass a little Honda sized car on the interstate when its hood blew open. At first the guy braked hard and it looked like all would be well, but then he either hit the accelerator or somehow the hood pulled against it and he took off like a rocket and then spun and flipped. I was really glad to get out of that with only a quick detour out into the median.
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoyrtt wrote:
Here are a few other results from Las Vegas 2015 BJ:

This 1973 for $12,650

The 73 is listed here on the Samba for $23,500 obo:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1841265

77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like it went on here right after the B-J auction ended

waxhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OG67westy wrote:
I realize the acapulcos are rare, but I just don't care for those tops, or the circus tent stripes....

x2
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waxhead wrote:
OG67westy wrote:

x2

And the purpose behind these comments is ... ?
Deckard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To share how we feel about a trend? If some people dislike the Acapulco's inherently gaudy style, shouldn't this forum be the perfect place to voice your opinion?

I have read several posts about how much they hate yellow Things, and I'm not rushing to repaint mine.
Ratt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semper_Dad wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Shoyrtt wrote:

[/img]

I once had the opportunity to check out a 181 that experienced damage from "flying hood syndrome". Luckily it was being transported and not driven. Hood flew up in Kamikaze fashion took out the windshield which in turn released the convertible top. Hood, windshield frame, top and frame were trashed. Not a pretty site.

The Hood damage was the least of the worries. Did I ever show you the Fence post floor supports, or the street sign battery tray? The only solid piece was the front clip. Which is now in my storage unit.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hobie16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waxhead wrote:
OG67westy wrote:

x2

Awwww come on. How can you rag on something that brings a smile to people's faces? I always get thumbs up or shakas when I'm driving mine.

If anything’s going to happen, it’s going to happen out there.
---Captain Ron
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deckard wrote:
To share how we feel about a trend? If some people dislike the Acapulco's inherently gaudy style, shouldn't this forum be the perfect place to voice your opinion?

I wasn't actually asking you, and no one asked for an opinion in the first place. The thread was about BJ's prices. Yes, the first two were Acapulco "styles" and, yes, I suspect Acapulco models and "styles" fetch more money than other models for the US market if in a similar condition. That's hardly a trend. That's been true since 1974 when an Acapulco model was just more expensive. The only trend is the prices themselves.

I don't expect everyone to share my opinion. In fact, I prefer not having all people sharing my opinion.

Most people on this forum are nice people and offer opinions when asked. There are plenty of times I read an opinion and think, "Oh, I would never do that." And my opinion may not end there. I still appreciate receiving the solicited opinion.

But as you pointed out yourself -- perhaps unwittingly -- there was no real reason to lash out at something others obviously enjoy. And, it doesn't make me like my Acapulco less; it makes me like this forum less. If it makes the good guys of this forum like this forum less, they might stay away. So, instead of wading through the fecal matter to find the good posts, there may come a day only the fecal matter remains and the fecalheads who spew it.

So, no, this is actually the worst place to spew unsolicited and nonconstructive dislikes whose only intent is to insult others.

I will not post anything more on this. I don't need the final word; yet, I hope this doesn't escalate. I was hoping I was missing a finer point. I now know I wasn't. I'm moving on ...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: