Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rubber kits
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mblotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Rubber kits Reply with quote

has anyone used the Jbugs Complete Rubber Kit for Karmann Ghia? i like the price and completeness of the kit, but wonder if the rubber is actually of good quality. ive kind of always used WCM in the past, but this is quite a bit cheaper than what i can get from them or KGPR, and seems complete
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suspect you'll get what you pay for.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ask jbugs who the supplier is, then you will have info to make a decision.
Jwold speaks the truth...you usually get what you pay for and then pay for what you get. Sad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the complete rubber kits from KGPR. Very nice stuff so far. Like they said you get what you pay for. I'm about to hand over good money for German windshield rubber so that it's right. $60 American cal look or twice that for German with chrome slots. I have feeling it will be well worth it.

Jbug and KGPR may have the same supplier. Find out then go from there.
mblotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did send an email to jbugs, havent heard back yet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

motorhead364 wrote:
I got the complete rubber kits from KGPR. Very nice stuff so far. Like they said you get what you pay for. I'm about to hand over good money for German windshield rubber so that it's right. $60 American cal look or twice that for German with chrome slots. I have feeling it will be well worth it.

Jbug and KGPR may have the same supplier. Find out then go from there.

I bought the premium rubber with the chrome trim slots for front and rear windows from Cip1. The corners are blocked - whatever that means - fit was pretty decent - I had a new aftermarket windshield that was a bit under-sized but it all went together after some strong words and three pairs of hands!

I don't have any info on the stuff from KGPR but I suspect they get their premium stuff from the same place as Cip1. Not many manufacturers making the replacement rubber.

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
FRNKNSTNGHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased the jbugs complete rubber kit for my 1970 ghia. I can't attest to all the seals included in the kit, but I can say that I know a bunch of them are WCM brand, if not all of them. I'd have to check to verify if all of them are WCM.
mblotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FRNKNSTNGHIA wrote:
I purchased the jbugs complete rubber kit for my 1970 ghia. I can't attest to all the seals included in the kit, but I can say that I know a bunch of them are WCM brand, if not all of them. I'd have to check to verify if all of them are WCM.

i had my suspicions, glad to hear this bit of fact. hopefully they will email me back, but its kind of weird asking someone where they source their product i admit
Tonyorlo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in this as well. I need all new rubber for my 74, and the Jbugs complete kit does look appealing. KGPR doesn't sell cal look seals either.
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FRNKNSTNGHIA wrote:

That's good to know because I called Jbugs a couple of months ago asking this question and I was told they were Brazilian. When I looked up the difference I found out that German seals were rubber while Brazilian were more of a foam type material.

If they are all indeed rubber, the Jbugs price looks much better.

"Scrapyards are for quitters" - Beetlenut (a Samba member)
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Indeed, it was in the Jbugs printed catalog where they explained the difference between Brazilian and German made seals. Educational.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhartwell59 wrote:
^ Indeed, it was in the Jbugs printed catalog where they explained the difference between Brazilian and German made seals. Educational.

Yep, that's where I found it. Maybe they were just informing customers to be aware of the difference. If they do sell WCM quality seals that would be great.

I always find it interesting how you can go to a manufacturers website to buy a product at a certain price but yet another vendor may sell the same item cheaper. It's kind of funny.

"Scrapyards are for quitters" - Beetlenut (a Samba member)
mblotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

since i didnt get an email back i called them. they said the kit is a mix of suppliers, some WCM, some Brazilian, some German, and some custom made. window rubber is custom made.

since the window rubber and door rubber is my big concern, anyone used these bits from Jbugs?

i think im gonna pull the trigger on ordering a kit, but will wait for a little more feedback. even if i find the window rubber to not be up to my standards, i can order from WCM for the front and rear window and still be ahead $ wise.
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll be waiting for a review when it arrives!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: