Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transfer of blue/yellow plates to another vehicle in Ca.
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevineo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Transfer of blue/yellow plates to another vehicle in Ca. Reply with quote

My wife just purchased a pair of Ca.blue/yellow lettering plates from a Samba member for our 79 bay. Currently have Ca.white/blue lettering. He assured her the plates are clear as the vehicle supposedly has been shipped overseas 6 years ago. Period correct so I don't see an issue.
The DMV today gave us the big NO WAY. Not gonna happen. They do not allow plate transfer?? So all the blue plates on Abay and Samba are just for looking at?
Has anyone had any luck transferring period correct post 60's era plates from one vehicle to your personal vehicle?
The plates cost her too much as far as I'm concerned, he promised her it was not a problem, he has done this on numerous occasions so I feel she was duped. I'll handle that issue later if I cannot utilize her gift.
Any advice
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Transfer of blue/yellow plates to another vehicle in Ca. Reply with quote

Try another DMV office or perhaps AAA. I'll be diplomatic and just say that perhaps not all DMV employees are up on the YOM guidelines. Good luck.
kevineo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just returned from AAA. Very helpful, almost completed the task till one line on the computer wouldn't register. The plates being out of the system is the roadblock. Had they in fact been registered currently transfer would be a no brainer however once out forever out.
I will try the DMV again, pretty sure I can find a brain dead individual just time consuming.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kevineo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered white/ blue lettering plates with same verbiage and I'm just going to use the blue/yellow lettering plates in lieu the newer. Cops call in plate numbers/letters not colors so what the hell.
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevineo wrote:
I ordered white/ blue lettering plates with same verbiage and I'm just going to use the blue/yellow lettering plates in lieu the newer. Cops call in plate numbers/letters not colors so what the hell.

So, are these personalized plates, or just regular issue blue and yellows? If they are personalized then yes here in CA you can transfer them to any year vehicle, regardless of the year of issue. Or, if clear, order new personal plates with the same verbage, and run the older ones. If they are issue plates, then sorry, but you are out of luck. Blue and yellows are not on the California YOM list yet. So, that means that the DMV will not let you transfer and run them on your bay.
69judson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go online to the DMV personalized section and try out your old plate numbers. If they`re available just order new custom plates and new registration then run the old blue plates on the car.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those plates or your vehicle are not Y.O.M. eligible. Go to any DMV you want and it's not going to change.
Check with DMV and see what qualifies and what doesn't .

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69judson wrote:
Go online to the DMV personalized section and try out your old plate numbers. If they`re available just order new custom plates and new registration then run the old blue plates on the car.

I was told that you can't request the new retro plates with any alphanumeric combos that were actually used back in the original era. They must be "vanity plate" combos now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: