Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacement windshield fitment
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
56Island
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Replacement windshield fitment Reply with quote

Anyone have any issues with the fitment of ISP replacement windshields?

The interior shop is finishing up the install and had a glass guy come out to install all the glass. The glass is all OG except for the front windshield, which I purchased from ISP. The glass guy got everything installed except for the windshield, he said it was too big? I know it can be a bare to install them but is he just being a baby?

Anyone have any experience with the windshields?
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We always get new ones cut using the old one as a pattern. Don't know what it is about ovals but they seem to have various sizes of windshields. I know a few guys who have had real problems using pre cut glass.

brad
56Island
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have the OG glass, it was delaminating pretty bad. I didn't even bother to check it against the replacement one, guess that was my bad. I did ask around at a couple of glass shops and they wanted crazy money to cut one.

I looked at the feedback from ISP West and it seemed very good, guess I can call them and see what they have to say.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
We always get new ones cut using the old one as a pattern.

This is the reason the front windows never fit. Each time they make a copy, the new one is a bit different in size. Then the same for the next one. And the next one. For the last 60 years.

Even if your car hasn't had 9 generations of cloned windows, the original windows were crap to begin with. When my buddy was stripping an early car I noticed it had the original front window in it. What an opportunity, I thought. So I borrowed it to make a template. After I made a template from Al sheet, I flipped the window over to see how symmetric the window was. It was off by over ¼"!

Here's how you can make your own template that will make the front window fit perfectly every time.
Trace out the exact size of the opening of a rear side quarter window. Then lay an original quarter window glass on this tracing, centering it all the way around. Now measure how much bigger the opening is. This measurement will be the same all the way around.
Now trace the exact size of the front window opening. Deduct the measurement above then you have the perfect template.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New rubber are sometimes bigger, too. And 58- windshield. And the thickness.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried placing the bare glass in the window frame to see how it fits? Maybe you can find something obvious about it such as the fit of the top/bottom being different from the left/right.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: