Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 KG brake and suspension upgrade
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gazzarovich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:35 am    Post subject: 1967 KG brake and suspension upgrade Reply with quote

I'm sorry if this question looks stupid, but I have stock 1967 KG that I've just got, and I'm from (Cairo, Egypt) where we have maybe 10 or 15 KGs allover the country, so I can't see or get help from anyone around.
I just got the car, and I'm planning to restore, in addition to that I'm gonna go for engine upgrade to (1776) and some other changes.
My question is: What should I do with the brakes and suspension?
what upgrades are mandatory?
Please note that I'll have to ship all parts from USA down to Egypt, so I don't have so many chances for trail and error, I need powerful brake system, and durable suspension for day-to-day use with nice performance.
also I was planning to go for 16" rims with 195 or 205 (no plans to narrow or lower car beam).
Please advise, and be easy on me, coz as I said: I have no option of seeing anything around, so all I get is from your posts only
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% stock brakes and suspension. Get them in like new working order and you will be good. I completely redid my brakes and suspension two years ago and the car drive and handles perfectly. Nothing magic required. The front discs and rear drums and plenty sufficient if in proper working order.
gazzarovich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man,
What about tires and rim sizing?
Will the stock bean fit 205 or 195 tires with 16" rims?
And if so, what is the offset required for rims?
And should I get 16*5.5 or 16*6
Sorry for the many questions and thanks in advance
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tire fitment is a real challenge on these cars. 195-205 are close to the limits with the ideal offset. Check out the thread on tires and wheels and get an idea. You may have a wide rear axle, which poses a greater challenge. I could run 205's, but had to have custom offset steel rims. I have since switched to shorter axles and am running 195 60 15's all around. It's still tight fit. Even individual cars vary as they were hand made. You need to take exact measurements from your car.
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an expert, but from what I've gleaned from forum wisdom is that the axles on 67-68 are wider and won't work very well with wider rims. From what I've read, many folks use shorter 66 or so (bug or ghia) axles that allow for more clearance.
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^
That's correct. If wider than stock rear tires are desired, the best solution is to switch to the '66 and earlier short axles.

For a swing axle ghia, I would recommend a larger front sway bar coupled with a camber compensator for the rear. Since the OP is not in the U.S., I doubt that car came with the factory Z-bar in back.
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it sound like you are going to change your lug pattern anyway.Your best bet would be getting a set of 5 lug Fuchs, they have the best offset for a ghia. Then from there see what tire size will fit your car, Then decide if you still want to get short axles and a narrow beam(only time and money Wink ) to fit fatter tires.
SirNickity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just food for thought. The rear drum brakes are sufficient, but there are kits available to convert them to discs. You still get the e-brake, but now you don't have to adjust the shoes anymore, and you don't have to deal with two different braking systems and all their assorted parts.

Not strictly necessary, but nice.
One Year Wonder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with all of the above posts. I'm currently doing a bodyoff resto on a '67 Coupe except I'm running 15" repop Fuchs , 4.5" front and 5.5" Rear. I went with a 3" narrowed and adjustable front beam as well as a set of '66 axels in the rear due to the 1" extra length. Also, I installed the Empi rear disc kit with the E-brake.
We've done 2 test fits of the body with the wheels on and so far all I had to do was massage the front inner fender panels a bit to get some clearance for the shock towers. You'll have to check the offset on the 16s to see if its similar.

Good luck with the project!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: