Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rmh60bug Volksrod Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
emory70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

How much did you lift the transaxle?
mike1954
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Very nice. I live in pa also. I'm looking t doing a volksrod. How will you be able to drive the car on pa roads without fenders? Any help would be great.
Thanks
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

The transaxle is lifted 5 inches. Had to open up the parcel tray and make a "doghouse" cover for it. Shift Rod is exposed inside. Front is dropped on beam extension & spindles 5" also.

mike1954, I replied in your post volksrod pa. It's doable in PA. Just a few hurdles to jump but doable !
Slow & Steady is the key
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

I dig the build!!!

I'd switch out that hood for an earlier one.It comes to more of a point.
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

I have been looking for a early style hood, locally. Have found a few but they have been pretty rough shape. No rush, will find one. Looking for someone that needs a Splitcase Trans, swap parts ! LOL. Will be back at it soon. I coach our local High School Track team, been busy with that. Which is a good thing !
Slow & Steady is the key
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Got it back on rubber ! Just seeing how it will sit and get muesurements for shocks. Pretty happy with the stance, not to low, not to high. Almost ready for a test drive. Had it on blocks and went thru the gears. All went well, engine sounds good.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Slow & Steady is the key
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

This counts as a wiring harness ? Right ? More than enough to run it ! The boys couldn't believe that's all the wiring it took to run the engine ! A hot wire with alligator clips for power to coil & starter.

Slow & Steady is the key
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

The other project in garage. My oldest sons Virago 920. Been helping him get it done. He did most of it ! Makes me a proud papa that the boys enjoy doing this. The youngest is going to start Bobbing a Honda CB200 soon. You can just see the front fender of Honda. Love it !

Slow & Steady is the key
HALS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

That is to cool ... all working on projects .
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Painted Cragar Mags ..... Why ??? Stripped them down, wire wheeled the heck out of them. Then sprayed them with vinager/peroxide/salt mix to get them rusted. Only the fronts had paint. Backs aren't that bad. Chemical reaction makes flash rust. I knew Science Class would be helpful one day ! Slow & Steady

Slow & Steady is the key
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Building a stand for my Portaband ( Craigslist find ). Need a metal band saw sometimes. See if this works. Hope so I have a lot of brackets to make for lights & other bits. Hitting some estate sales, best part of building a Volksrod......new tools !
Slow & Steady is the key
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Tabletop Portaband, not a build pic but it will help me build things ! It works well for being used as a upright saw.

Used a light switch and ext cord plug for the on/off. Didn't want to cut the original cord.
Slow & Steady is the key
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Tomorrow's project ..... 12v wiper. Take this mess and make a 12v wiper assembly. The assembly in the front is the one that fits my Bug. The rest, all from the parts pile !
Hoping to reweld arm from the 6v to a 12v arm. Then redrill assembly to accept 12v motor. I have so many, why buy a resistor or a new armature.

Slow & Steady is the key
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Wow, whoever did that chop originally did an awesome job! You've really done well cleaning up the cuts and smoothing them out, looks factory.
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

The PO did a great job on the chop ! We had to finish the welds and smooth it out is all. Almost have the inside ready to paint, soundproof & insulate.
Slow & Steady is the key
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

6v wiper assembly with 12v motor. Cut the arm from 6v motor and welded arm onto 12v motor after a lot of measuring ! Had to do a little bit of grinding for clearance. Dang thing needs to be just about perfect. Drilled a few holes, and done. And it even worked ! Why buy when you can build !

Slow & Steady is the key
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Today's project, headlight brackets. Mocked these up. I like how they sit and seem to follow the flow of the Bug. Nothing is welded yet, to nervous. The boys and I played around with different ideas. This won ! Be honest let me hear the opinions fly !

Plus the homemade PortaBand table saw was a champ !

Slow & Steady is the key
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Got the headlight brackets welded up. I think they will fit the look perfect. Plus keep me 24" from the ground ( PA motor vehicle laws ). Also fabbed out a beam clamp style bumper mount. Laws force the bumper ! But it is a bolt on mount, removable if needed. Now to figure out a bumper style that fits. ARGH !

Slow & Steady is the key
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

PA Law requires fenders. These will be able to come off. Figured I better have something for the " safety stop" and " fix it ticket " that may happen. Put them on, show the proper authorities, take them off. Made a quick set of fenders today. Used a 55 gal drum. Flat spots on drum for main part, rolling rib for edge. Will go around them with split brake line to finish the sharp edges off. Making mounts for axle tube and front rotor. Slow & Steady

Slow & Steady is the key
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Worked on the front bumper today. PA Law requires it. Will take it off later. Used a knockoff bumper and added bull bar between. Its only 40" wide, law states " bumper must go from body line to body line ". Not width of tires
It should look good once mounted up ! Sprayed it with my "Unicorn Pee", see how well it rusts. May wire wheel the top edge to expose the metal for rust.

Slow & Steady is the key
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: