Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

heater motor - fan blowing fuses
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: heater motor - fan blowing fuses Reply with quote

The heater blower is blowing fuses. Is this something that can be dealt with by lubricating the bearings? Can these be rebuilt ? It looks like they are NLA even thought the bays use them as well.

Thanks
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The motor itself is likely not blowing fuses. Which fuse is blowing?
Yes... a few parts are tricky to disassemble and reassemble....but they can be rebuilt. G3t a spare when you can....but shirt of lube and occasionally bearings....rare occasion.....most of these just has little wear on them.

Usually when fuses start blowing......its connection issues or overheating. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ... not 'rebuilt' as that's too much, but ... let's call it 'serviced' my fresh air fan as it wasn't running at all.

Dirt/dust in bearings, broken connector and very oxidized anchor.

Cleaned the bearings with brake cleaner, changed the connector and ground anchor with 1000 grit metal sand paper carafully until it was shiny again.

Cleaned the grinding dust away with brake cleaner and now it works like a charm again.

Of course the fresh air fan is something you can disassemble, to a degree: You at least can see the anchor and coals (to clean them).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fuse that is blowing it the 16 amp one for the blower in the engine compartment. The pump runs and the heater fires up.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah....yes.....you are on the right track then. It has been a long time since i have had to be inside one of those motors......but i had to work on them a couple of times. They are a little tricky if memory serves.

Just going off memory......there is a set screw for the fan on a D-shaped shaft. Remove motor from housing......and two screws. ...or three bend tabs on the tail of the motor. I will have to look at mine. I also have some of the wagon style motor i will look at.

The issue i remember is spring loaded brushes and short brush leads. I know there is more to it. Its easily been 18 years. Also the bearing is a cup bushing if memory serves on one end and a shaft bushing on the other. They need to be cleaned and the shaft polished.

I had taken to not using grease any more on these bearings. I used ATF on one and it works great. The grease eventually dries. I will probably need to do mine as well its been 14 years since it ran. I may try superlube synthetic grease. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the heater fan apart and it has a bakelite squirrel cage. Is there a way to remove it? I can't get at the bearing to grease it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: