Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Does it Exist?!? Odd Year Turn Signal
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jalabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a '73 and I went through the same thing a couple of years ago...

What's the options when these become NLA? Is it change out the whole steering binnacle time...? What parts dictate that this switch is used?

Cheers,

Simon

'73 westy, 1700 type 4 with 34icts
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

universal turn signal switch
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-insta...l%20switch
thesatanicmechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try johnzie333. i seem to recall having seen one of these there.
Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfsburg has it on their site but looks to be not available. https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211953509H

if it doesn't have to be specific your year then this one may work as I just got their email ad the other day about their late model bus one.
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211953513K[/url]
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude - snap that one up for $200 asap. I had to do this same search about 2.5 years ago for my 74. Same one year only switch.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scrivy,
Bus is parked at the house. Motor is torn apart, picking up heads tomorrow. Waiting on P & L's, then reassembly begins. I wish I was driving! You going to the Busfest in Texas??
Thanks for the feedback guys, it's a bummer the switch is all good other than the plastic piece, nonetheless, I'm ordering one soon. NOS, just for piece of mind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So was it only 73-74 that had a switch that looks like this? I seem to recall seeing something very similar to this in my stash, but I have only ever owned a 76 and my current 79. I will have a look around this long weekend and see if I can find it. If you are interested and can't go NOS, PM me and I'm sure we can work out a deal as I have no need of it. Otherwise I should put it in the classifieds I guess.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captin,
From what I recall from reading and the wise Tcash, this particular setup was fall of '72-spring of '74.
It would be awesome if you just had this junk laying around, in decent shape, I'd be entitled to give you my money and still owe you a coke, Pepsi, or a draft.
Let me know!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I dug up this switch. It looks like the correct number but also looks like the last 3 digits were stamped over, and maybe the "H" (not by me). I will offer it up to the OP if it is the correct one for his bus, but don't want to mislead him on the number. Does anyone have any comments on if this is the correct switch? It has 5 wires, but I have no idea where I got it. Shocked
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captincanuck, I have PMed you. Shoot me a message and let me know what you'd like to have for it. Looks solid to me, and to be the correct part!!
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Does it Exist?!? Odd Year Turn Signal Reply with quote

sorry to raise the dead. what is the difference between 211 953 508 H AND 211 953 509 H ? T cash said that the op needed the 508, and then the OP bought a 509. same part? did T cash fat finger?
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Does it Exist?!? Odd Year Turn Signal Reply with quote

What I picked up was original and identical to what I pulled out. Though the last couple numbers did differ, and the one I got was kinda stamped over.
Captincanuck hooked me up with an OG switch, functioning correctly and all electrical was plug and play. They are out there (these switches), I still have my old one around if it's worth anything.
Cheers,
Sam

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Does it Exist?!? Odd Year Turn Signal Reply with quote

I ask because I picked up 3 used 509s today, just in case my late 73 ever busts. two appear to work well, but the third only likes to pop out the plastic toggle every now and then. plus, it has a cut harness. overall a good score.
thanks for the quick reply
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Does it Exist?!? Odd Year Turn Signal Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
sorry to raise the dead. what is the difference between 211 953 508 H AND 211 953 509 H ? T cash said that the op needed the 508, and then the OP bought a 509. same part? did T cash fat finger?

Where do you see that I "said that the op needed the 508"?

This is all I kind find.
Tcash wrote:
Good luck on that one. This is the part number you are looking for.
211 953 509 H VW Bus 5 wire turn signal switch 73-74
The SWF (the manufacturer's) part number is HLS 201 096
Good luck
Tcash
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Does it Exist?!? Odd Year Turn Signal Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
alman72 wrote:

Where do you see that I "said that the op needed the 508"?

This is all I kind find.
Tcash wrote:
Good luck on that one. This is the part number you are looking for.
211 953 509 H VW Bus 5 wire turn signal switch 73-74
The SWF (the manufacturer's) part number is HLS 201 096
Good luck
Tcash

I think he is asking because I sold the OP a unit stamped with ....509 as shown in the picture above and you stated the correct part # was ...508. Sound like both work fine.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Does it Exist?!? Odd Year Turn Signal Reply with quote

???? looking back now at T Cash's first comment, is says 509. I swear it was 508 yesterday. either I had too much sun, mini-stroke, or T-cash edited his og comment. Back me up, here, Sambosamba!!
if I just misread , sorry T-cash
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Does it Exist?!? Odd Year Turn Signal Reply with quote

Alman! Haha it does say 509, I don't know if there is such as 508 or that there are any differences. I will vouch and say without much zoom, the stamp does seem to read 508. Perhaps the sun, and a few brews.
On another note, if I need another one, I know who to contact! Cool
I've only been on here for a short while, but one thing I've learned, Tim (Tcash) knows quite a bit in regards to these ole buses.
Hasta luego,
Sam

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Does it Exist?!? Odd Year Turn Signal Reply with quote

If anyone else has one laying around, I'd like to get it! Or maybe one that doesn't work electrically but the plastic piece for cancelling isn't broken.

That's my problem-the plastic broke so for turns one direction I have to hold the lever down and it doesn't cancel either direction. At least the lights will flash, I guess.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Does it Exist?!? Odd Year Turn Signal Reply with quote

Has anyone modified or tried a earlier or later switch? The 211-953-509h switch is impossible to find.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Does it Exist?!? Odd Year Turn Signal Reply with quote

Ives676 wrote:
Has anyone modified or tried a earlier or later switch? The 211-953-509h switch is impossible to find.

If you search the part number, there are a couple floating around in the U.K. For ungodly amounts of money. I simply lucked out with a good dude in Canada!
Is your original unit salvageable at all? I still have my original, though the internal "clip" is broken, someone who know how could mold a new plastic piece. I'm only about 2 hours south, if interested ill share any insight I may have.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: