Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Honeydew" spots on my paint. How to remove?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: "Honeydew" spots on my paint. How to remove? Reply with quote

I have zillions of tiny brown spots on my paint, that I'd really like to get rid of.

I have to park under sycamore trees. I figured that it was sap, but some googling suggests that perhaps it is aphid crap rather than sap itself. Either way, I want it to go!

History suggests that they do seem to eventually fade over time, perhaps after winter kills the aphids and then the spots eventually go away. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think so based on observing that a white car I had care of, it seemed that eventually there were less on it.

You can't really feel them when you wipe your finger over them.

Here is what I've tried:

a regular wash. ha ha, right...

Waxing with a foam bonnet on the random orbital applicator.

citrus degreaser

clay bar

dampened fabric softener sheets

liquid fabric softener

Palmolive dish detergent

bug and tar remover

gasoline

The only thing that has sort of worked is the fabric softener sheets. (Which is why I tried the liquid-to see if it would soften them up.) I don't know for sure if it is a chemical in the sheets, or the mild texture scrubbing them off. I do note a shade of green on the sheets at times.

Nothing else seems to touch them at all.

I know wax will help future spots wash off a bit more easily (or at least I hope so!) but will it seal in the current spots and prevent whatever it was that makes them eventually fade away from working?

Do any of you have any other ideas of what to try? In the past, I tried a green scrubby pad on a different car. That got them mostly, but also scratched the paint in a few places when I worked on more stubborn spots.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a clay bar didnt work, chances are its not on the paint...but IN it. You may be looking at a wetsand and buff. Try some WD-40 in an are not really seen. If it doesnt seem to do anything to your paint (and it shouldnt) give that a try.
Also if your really rubbing anything on your paint, your scratching it. Be ready for a polish to get the fine scratches out.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it is in the paint, as they do seem to eventually go away with time.

It happens to any thing that sits outside for a while, not just vehicles. And eventually wears off/decomposes/whatever after a time.

I think I did try WD-40 now that you mention it.

I would just wax it and deal with the spots til they go away if y'all think the waxing won't be inadvertently preserving the spots. I know that wax would help make future spots wash off more easily.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant imagine what else you could try that you already havent (besides paint thinner) tried. I dont think I would wax it with that shit on there. Wax will only bury it and make it more difficult to get off.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a guy who has set up a little car detailing business across the street from my office. I asked for his input.

He got out his buffer and by golly, that thing took the spots off pretty darn quick! He said he'd do the whole bus for $100. I think that is a pretty good deal for all the work involved, and how nice the "sample" spot looked.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: