Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ever decline selling to a serious buyer?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RHD Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Ever decline selling to a serious buyer? Reply with quote

Anyone here ever decline selling a vehicle once they heard what buyer's intentions for the vehicle were?

I'll preface this by saying we have not agreed on a price yet, but the potential buyer told me what their intentions for the vehicle were and they left me very disappointed...

I'm going to be forthright with the interested party and tell them I can't let it go if that's what they plan on doing to the car. It's interesting that if they wouldn't have disclosed their intentions, I wouldn't have asked and now I'm all worked up about it...

I'd like to hear your thoughts and experiences, as I value the opinions of many here...Thank you.

Gary
I have some other projects I'd like to finish first and I want to drive this bus while I'm working on those to help stay motivated.
Hnoroian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. If you don't need to sell it I'd say no deal.
2. Could you replace it for what it's worth?
3. It better be atleast 2.5 times what it's worth for me to let it go.

I had a serious offer of 10k for my 68 bug. Worth probably about 7.5-8k.. I told him I'd have to think about it if he came much closer to 25. Just my thoughts...
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give them the "go away price", either they go away or the item goes away, same idea as Hnoroian. I appreciate your dislike for what might become of the vehicle but once it's sold its up to the new owner what happens to it (unless you have them sign a legal contract), what if they never stated their intentions.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Sorry, but I can't let this one go for less than the asking price. No negotiation."

After that, you have no control over what they do to it.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had known the new owner of my van was going to burn it to the ground I would have had second thoughts — but I needed the money!

Maybe you could point this person in the direction of another car that would be more suitable for the intended plan?

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well you dont know how serious they are till it's all done. I once gave away the one I should of kept to a serious moron ..(gave away as in less than 1/4 of what I should of sold it for).a month lator I could not reckonize the car.and I had built it from the ground up12 years earlyer and made around $50000 racing with it.it was also my daily driver with 618 hp, I did keep the motor&trans. and no Im not too bright.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on what they are going to do to it.

If someone told me they were going to lower a car, I don't really care unless it's was a low mileage all original car. Of course, this is just me, other people may not care.

If they were going to hack it up into a convertible or something then yes, I might say No.

It could depend on your money situation.
Meaning do you have to take this offer because you need the cash.

I have had someone sell me a car before because they thought I would take better care of it than someone else or because they wanted it to stay in the USA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Buggsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as they pay my price I don't care what they do with it after that. Well, that's not entirely true I'd be sad to see certain cars end up in certain situations but it would not block me from a sale. I respect a persons right to do what they please and have an opinion that differs from my own.

This is assuming of course that they don't tell me they're going to use it as a get-away car for knocking over banks or something Laughing

If they said they were going to build a V8 car with a tube chassis and just lay the body over top of it, I'd be bummed, but I wouldn't stop the sale.

I'd hate to walk into the hardware store to buy wood & nails and casually mention they were to build an ice-cream stand only to hear "sorry I don't care for ice cream so I don't really like your intentions for these nails, so I don't want to sell them to you."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chaosisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather have somebody buy a vehicle from me and modify it in a way that I dont care for than wreck it or neglect it.

'68 FI Sunroof Squareback

'70 Westy

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my price is payed.... ..the new owner can run it off in a lake for all I care... just dont call me because it didnt float..

You can NOT control what happens to it once its out of your hands.

If you as a seller have a concern of what may happen in the new owners hands.. probably has no business selling said item in the first place.

Its a material thang.... next..

The only time I decline... is if they offer the wrong price.
Wrong price means = not my price Ill take..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only once have I declined a buyer, the guy was a fucken DICK.......

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
If my price is payed.... ..the new owner can run it off in a lake for all I care... just dont call me because it didnt float..

If you as a seller have a concern of what may happen in the new owners hands.. probably has no business selling said item in the first place.

Exactly. It is arrogant to tell someone else what to do with their car. You being the guy who sold it to them doesn't change that.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one car I purchased the previous owners would not sell it to the youngsters.
While picking up the mail a week ago at the Post Office a couple showed some interest in my patina 68 bug. Asked the price, the answer i gave was " the I do not want to sell price of 10K" and that was with the orginal number matching engine and not the performance engine. Answer was "that could be a deal breaker" My response was " not for me".
If you are not comfortable do not sell.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

The only time I decline... is if they offer the wrong price.
Wrong price means = not my price Ill take..

X2

who gives a shit? you are selling "it" and if the buyer want's to destroy "it" who cares as long as you get your asking price it's all good in my eyes

cash is king

first money is the best money

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you care so much about what happens to it.....keep it. Dont put it up for sale unless you intend to sell it and walk away.

Its just not your business what people do. If the car is so rare......dont advertize. It. Find a friend that YOU know....who has has your ethic. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody's going to award you a hero badge for saving something from someone else, and even if they do it won't improve your chances of paying the rent or whatever else you need income for. Cash talks and if they are willing to pay then they are welcome to do whatever they want with it.

Keep blowing off buyers and declining sales and sooner or later you'll be the latest find on one of those hoarder or picker shows. If someone wants it now for good money jump, markets change and sitting on stuff sometimes results in it becoming unsellable later.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
Only once have I declined a buyer, the guy was a fucken DICK.......

Ha Ha! 👍

German Folks
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a 1965 bus that I had stalked since 2004. Back then, it was advertised for $900 in the local Thrifty Nickel. A few months ago the price had risen slightly (by a factor of eight) but still on the money. The reason I didn't get it back then is when I arrived after FLYING across town as fast as I could was the seller said to me, "I'm sorry, but my brother told me I'd hate myself if I sold this bus right now."

It was all he had to say. True or not, it worked for me. He didn't discriminate against me. He owned the reason he changed his mind. Simple enough- you can patiently await the right buyer using the simple line.

As Marsha Brady said to Charlie, "Something suddenly came up."

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
RHD Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I spoke to the prospective buyer and told him I had changed my mind about selling the car at this time. I too didn't want to discriminate against him as he is a nice individual that just wants a nice car to use as he sees fit. He was very understanding...asked me to sleep on my decision and get back to him if I reconsidered.

Perhaps the planets align differently in the future and I don't let the mention of it's future use get in the way of a sale. Something my own brain needs to work through.

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

hitest wrote:
I recently bought a 1965 bus that I had stalked since 2004. Back then, it was advertised for $900 in the local Thrifty Nickel. A few months ago the price had risen slightly (by a factor of eight) but still on the money. The reason I didn't get it back then is when I arrived after FLYING across town as fast as I could was the seller said to me, "I'm sorry, but my brother told me I'd hate myself if I sold this bus right now."

It was all he had to say. True or not, it worked for me. He didn't discriminate against me. He owned the reason he changed his mind. Simple enough- you can patiently await the right buyer using the simple line.

As Marsha Brady said to Charlie, "Something suddenly came up."

Thanks to ALL of you for replying...Definitely therapeutic reading how other enthusiasts would come to handle a similar situation.

Gary
I have some other projects I'd like to finish first and I want to drive this bus while I'm working on those to help stay motivated.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does the guy want to do to the car?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: