Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 VW Campmobile Ford Cologne 2.8L V6 conversion
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dfmastin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:32 am    Post subject: 1973 VW Campmobile Ford Cologne 2.8L V6 conversion Reply with quote

My friend left me a gift.
He was an amazing friend (and mechanic). His garage and yard were full of ongoing projects many of which were VWs. Here’s a video of his main indoor garage where you’ll see the bus he gave me:

Link

He wanted to leave me a car and I had a VW bay window bus in college so he gave me his 1973 VW Campmobile Ford Cologne 2.8L V6 conversion.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I made a sticker from a picture I had to honor my friend:

Last edited by dfmastin on Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
dfmastin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might as well tell you now that I am an automotive dunce. I’ve never changed the oil on a car. On with the story…
I built a carport for the bus. I found a carport I like the looks of here:
http://urbandirtfarmer.blogspot.com/2013/08/modern-design-cedar-carport.html
Here I am working on the carport:

I added some cross bracing via aircraft cables and turnbuckles and eliminated the removable side panels, but essentially it’s the same design from the website. I wish I knew who this guy is so I could thank him. In any case, you can see the bus in the carport here:

dfmastin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a quick video tour of the bus at home:

Link

I’d love to have a nice enclosed garage, but we can’t afford one at the moment.
Here’s my first post, but it has a broken video link and is moot now:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620325&highlight=
dfmastin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I discovered the rear defogger wire was disconnected and the defogger switch is now wired to the electric radiator fan!
Here’s the thread where Samba friends help me figure this out:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7846535#7846535

Here’s one of my first posts where I ask how a radiator works!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=626377&highlight=

Here I discover rear signal lights are tough to install:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627573&highlight=

Here I discover both left and right dash turn signals light up at the same time:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627451&highlight=

Here I work through the electrical rats nest under the dash and replaced tail light assemblies, side marker light assemblies, and bulbs for both:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=

Here I wrap up the last of my electrical questions and finally have a modest understanding of a wiring diagram:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=

One of the best tips was securing my emergency light switch with a zip tie:

dfmastin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another brief video shows the stereo I installed (upgraded speakers, didn’t cut any new holes) playing some music from 1971 (Harry Nilsson) and you can listen to the engine running:

Link

The stereo and speakers are Blaupunkt from Walmart. I also replaced the old dash speaker with a new dual voice coil dash speaker from RetroSound. I considered purchasing the radio from them so I could avoid any damage to the dash, but I figured I was already headed down the road of modding considering I had a water cooled engine so I tweaked the dash a bit to allow the modern sized radio to slide in (for better or worse, it’s done now).

dfmastin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You’ll notice in the pics/videos above that the areas around the tail lights are not painted. From inside the engine compartment it’s clear some welding and repairs had likely corrected rust damage. I did my best to paint these spots and replaced the tail lights. Here I ask for advice about painting:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=626999&highlight=
My Samba friends were right; it looks like new paint over old paint. Paintscratch.com provided “Bright Orange L20B 1973” as my M-Plate indicates, but without going to a real automotive paint supply for matching no amount of blending really helped much. I mean, it is orange, he, he.

Last edited by dfmastin on Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total
dfmastin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is where I begin to understand what kind of engine I have and ask questions about the fuel pump and how to change the oil:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=626455&highlight=

dfmastin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll do my best to consolidate my updates and questions here (this thread) so folks can enjoy the future ups and downs with me. Thanks for your help so far. Now that I've replaced the fuel pump the bus is starts and idles great. I'm looking forward to my second drive around the neighborhood this weekend. If you have any thoughts/questions please let me know. Also if you have any requests for details or pictures/videos. Thanks! David
dfmastin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil change was a success. Used a Wix 51347 oil filter. I wonder if that's decent quality. Didn't have a choice. Went with 5 qts fully synthetic 10w-30. Looking at the dipstick I thought the oil before I changed it was relatively clean, but at least from my naive perspective it looked dirty coming out. There appeared to be a copper gasket on the oil pan plug so I just reused it. Anyway, no surprises or leaks. I'll make a video so y'all can see that the exhaust is a little smokey, that the engine itself smokes a little, and so y'all can see what the bus as a whole looks like. I've only driven the bus twice. First time was driving it home on the first day and aborted for cooling and electrical reasons. Second time around the neighborhood fuel feed seemed to fail and replaced fuel pump and filters. So, this weekend might be my third attempt.
dfmastin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: New battery Reply with quote

About every other crank I was fiddling with the battery and connections so...
I installed a new ground lead to the battery. The old ground strap was worse than I thought as it was about frayed in half. And, I installed a new battery that I hope will last a while. The bus is cranking and idling well. No smoke or leaks. I'm thinking I'll drive across the street in a bit and see what happens.

dfmastin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Diagnostic video. How does it sound/look? Reply with quote

Diagnostic video. How does it sound/look?
Made it to my neighbor’s house no problem. He gave it a look and listen and suggested first it smelled rich. He also noted it sounded a little rough and was shaking a bit and thought my next step would be replace the plugs. He said I should give it a look in the dark and if the wires had any faults I’d see sparkles. He thought one of the spark wires on the distributor was a little loose and we speculated it might be running a little smoother after he adjusted it. He noted my oil seepage around the valve cover gaskets. Folks over at the Ford Ranger Station
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163614
suggest that this engine runs well after a valve adjustment. As I need to replace the valve cover gaskets maybe I should try that as well, but that might be a bit advanced for me without help. I’m going to get a manual for this engine. Give my engine a look and a listen and see what you think! Oh btw, this video is a cold start and running cold. Thanks David

Link

Link

dfmastin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed NGK V-Power plugs today.
Also installed some generic (Omnispark) plug wires.
I also purchased a distributor cap and rotor, but the cap I bought had screws and the one I have installed has straps, so I put that on hold.
I should probably replace the wire running from the ignition coil to the distributor as well, but didn't realize that wire would be purchased separately (?).
Remember, I do not know my way around an engine.
So when I traced this last wire to the ignition coil I didn't know what it was.
I noticed one of the wires was disconnected so I grabbed the Bentley to take a look as it looked like the wires were stock VW wires and found the green disconnected wire is what I'm pretty sure is for diagnostics only. I should take a close look at that ignition coil and see how old it is/where it came from.
Looking at my videos it looks like I have oil leaking into at least one of my pistons on one side.
I certainly have oil leaking around the valve covers and tightened those down but need new gaskets.
I was doubting the engine would crank and run at all as I was not confident about my install of the wires and plugs, but it worked, to my surprise. he he
Maybe it runs a little better, but I doubt it.
Probably needs the valves adjusted and whatever seals are leaking into the pistons replaced and the valve cover gaskets replaced.
dfmastin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Third time is a charm... Reply with quote

My third significant drive attempt was a success today (8 miles). First attempt was to drive the bus home after acquisition. Second attempt failed with fuel feed problems. Today though I drove for eight miles. I live in the country and so essentially I drove down the street and did a loop to home. Valve covers seem to not be leaking. Water temperature stayed constant. No stalls. Restarted fine when home. I don't feel fully comfortable with the gearing yet, but no near stalls. Also not comfortable with the clutch yet and riding it quite a bit when accelerating from a stop. May try the car-wash tomorrow which would be 8 miles there and 8 miles back.
dfmastin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fourth drive today (8 miles total) went well. Had planed to take it to the auto parts store (maybe 16 miles total), but chickened out. Purchased tools such that I can adjust valves and replace valve cover gasket.
dfmastin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Campmobile Ford Cologne 2.8L V6 conversion Reply with quote

Thinking about selling. I feel like I need an indoor garage with a floor and a wife that is into the bus. If you have any thought please let me know.
caleb0101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Campmobile Ford Cologne 2.8L V6 conversion Reply with quote

dfmastin wrote:
Thinking about selling. I feel like I need an indoor garage with a floor and a wife that is into the bus. If you have any thought please let me know.
hold off on selling it. Go to some vw shows and see what you think of the scene. Then if you still want to sell it put a sign in the window at the shows
dfmastin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Campmobile Ford Cologne 2.8L V6 conversion Reply with quote

That's thoughtful advice caleb, thanks! If I can get the nerve to drive it there (Eureka Springs) and interact with folks it might change my perspective!

caleb0101 wrote:
dfmastin wrote:
hold off on selling it. Go to some vw shows and see what you think of the scene. Then if you still want to sell it put a sign in the window at the shows

dfmastin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Campmobile Ford Cologne 2.8L V6 conversion Reply with quote

Looking to sell.
Arkansas
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Campmobile Ford Cologne 2.8L V6 conversion Reply with quote

dfmastin wrote:
Looking to sell.
Arkansas

Please place an ad
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: