Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Webasto Gas Heater Install
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Webasto Gas Heater Install Reply with quote

This will be a quick write up on a Webasto gas heater install in a Westy. This unit is the bigger one, 3900 which translates to 13500 BTUs or so. The current models are the 2000, 4000 and 5500 units.

Some people say this will be overkill heat-wise for a van, but I don't think so. I should have it done before winter, so I will be able to followup with initial impressions of its output.

The first issue I see is it is physically pretty big. I think just based on that, I would not recommend it. The smaller 2000 unit has way more installation options. Here are a couple pics to give you an idea of the size. I think I will probably put it behind the passenger seat. If I put it under the bench, it will take up a lot of space and I normally use that space for water/shower tank.

I have considered selling this while it is still brand new and getting a smaller one, but I am going to give this a try.

I got this cheap on ebay so that is how I wound up with this model. It didn't come with an install kit so the first thing you notice is how much spare parts for these things cost. I ordered what I needed online from butler technique in UK.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This pic really shows you how big it is. The bigger comparable Espar apparently can fit in this space, but the Websasto is a little longer and I don't think it would work here without removing the door or something.

Here are some other install links that may be helpful
http://www.campertrailers.org/webasto.htm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScxZmQoAUH8
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=672

Last edited by davevickery on Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
scottbott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my Webasto airtop 32 petrol type and fitted it to the "sloping " part of the sheetmetal under the rear seat,even on its lowest of two settings it heats up to very toasty real quick and do not have it on for very long,I have not got a silencer for it yet another job to put on my list
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Webasto Gas Heater Install EVO3900 Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:

I betcha it'll fit in there if you run the intake hose behind the rear(side) paneling like i did with my Espar 4 (i'm sure you can check relative specs). IIRC mine fit about like this pic until creativity clicked in. definitely a great place to put it since that is dead space especially if you still have that vertical panel in there.

It would be a shame to trip over that thing on the entry side of the sliding entry door the other 9 months of the year.

I suggest you take a second look at this location.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about above the front of the transmission or under the van inboard?
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Webasto Gas Heater Install EVO3900 Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:

I betcha it'll fit in there if you run the intake hose behind the rear(side) paneling like i did with my Espar 4 (i'm sure you can check relative specs). IIRC mine fit about like this pic until creativity clicked in.

The specs say 371 mm long for the B4 and 423 mm for the Webasto. Your install looked pretty tight and this is 2" longer. I could probably fit it if I remove or modify the door. If I go behind the seat, I'll probably make a removable storage box that goes over with extra storage space.
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How goes the install? I just ordered the Airtop 200ST Gasoline
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed my AT2000 behind the passenger seat... under a custom cabinet. I wanted the hot air out and cool air return unobstructed by blankets hanging of of the bench bed etc.

you can see my cabinet here. you dont need one this big but I thought since I was add it I might as well add a bit of extra storage space too.

HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davevickery...

Also I noticed you're in Ft Collins and I know I've had some issues with my heater at higher elevations. Be sure to check into adjusting your heater for your elevation since most Webasto heaters are deigned for 0 - 5,000ft elevations.

I know I couldn't run my heater when I was at higher elevations in Colorado. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to adjust it for higher alts...
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice install Abel!

Getting ready to tackle mine in the tin top and gathering as much info as possible.
acegallagher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave: Why did you go with a Webasto vs a Propane heater? Just out of curiousity.Did you think you wouldn't get enough heat output out of a propex?

Abel: That cabinet is incredible. Well done. What wood/flooring is that in there?
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acegallagher wrote:

Abel: That cabinet is incredible. Well done. What wood/flooring is that in there?

Thank you! it's a vinyl planking from Home Depot.

Product here:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMASTER-Allure-6-.../202885477

Install here:
http://texasvanagons.com/new-floor-upgrade/
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3900 unit has an altitude button on the controller that increases the fan speed to make up for the thin air. It is good up to 7500 feet or so I think [edit: Webasto says it maintains the same heat output up to 8200 ft/2500 meters- presumably above that it will start to run rich]. Others have reported using it much higher without trouble, but I guess I'll find out.

Yes Abel that is a very nice cabinet. I've only gotten this far with mine. I'm waiting on the Folkstone grey Formica to finish the cabinet. I've always put some kind of storage box there and it is very convenient. I'll get a cushion for the top and trim it out nice, and it should look like a smaller version of the Wesfalia storage box.

I also spent some time understanding the wiring harness and got all the parts I needed from England. There are extra wires you don't need, 2 for a remote temp reading, and 1 for a fresh air fan. One thing I puzzled over for a bit are the wires coming out of the fresh air intake. Finally figured out they route the fuel pump wires that way so presumably you don't need to drill another hole in the floor.

I could start cutting holes in the floor today. But there is always tomorrow... until there isn't.
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dave,
I camped near you at Busses by the Bridge last year. I had a brown syncro with a roof rack and rust. Didn't you have a furnace on the drivers side of your van?
Tony
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Box looks good...

laminating is fun.. it seems like a challenge at first but once you do one piece it'll be a breeze. I used Pionite Mercury SG204. I got it from a local cabinet hardwood supplier. a 5'x10' sheet of VERTICAL GRADE (which is way thinner than counter top grade) was about $55.

I got samples of all and I found the Pionite is a closer match. In my case since I was using stock Westy doors I needed a closer match than the Folkstone. Since you're cabinet is standalone and not using any stock Westy doors etc you won't be able to tell the shade differences. It'll look good.

Very cool it has a higher elevation option! I'm currently waiting for another higher elevation trip so I can adjust my heater manually using a CO meter at the exhaust so I know where I need to make the adjustments to the CO potentiometer inside my heater.

I also bought an Espar high altitude fuel dosing pump. Going to measure its low to see if it'll work with the webasto.
jstar89crx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get cooked right out of the van with my AT2000. I would never consider putting anything larger in than that, it would be too hot and too large. What have the other AT2000 owners experienced? Regarding the altitude, yes, you would have to adjust the CO switch on the AT2000 to compensate for altitude.
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had posted instructions that I found and that a Webasto tech gave me in order to turn down the amount of fuel delivered to the heater when in high elevations. I tried it when I was camping in colorado earlier this year and I couldnt get it to work. The heater faulted out and stopped running.

Next time I'll try adjusting the heater manually... Almost wish I had gotten and Espar with a High altitude sensor... Hopefully I can get this to work at high elevations... sucks when you're camping at 10,000ft and can't use your heater.
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jstar89crx wrote:
I get cooked right out of the van with my AT2000. I would never consider putting anything larger in than that, it would be too hot and too large. What have the other AT2000 owners experienced? Regarding the altitude, yes, you would have to adjust the CO switch on the AT2000 to compensate for altitude.

Things change when you camp in a ski resort at 10000 ft or better.
7000 BTU would not be enough for me.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobias Duncan wrote:

Things change when you camp in a ski resort at 10000 ft or better.
7000 BTU would not be enough for me.
I think I will like the larger output in Winter too. I'll just have to see how it goes.

Abel, I woudl have gotten Pionite if I had known about it. Everyone here mentions the Folkstone. Oh well, it is pretty close. In person it looks closer than in your photo.

I thought for the Webasto 2K you just get a lower output pump. I read it puts out 70% as much fuel. It would be good if there is a free method. I did read somewhere that the Espar and Webasto pumps are not compatible.

Hi Tony, that white van with the 1.8T at BBTB didn't have a heater, just a truckfridge. I've tried a few different heaters in different vans over the years and I like the convenience of getting the gas from the tank. So far my only complaint is the large size of this one.
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every year this time I start looking for heaters. I had a few suburban NT20's in a bay window.
http://www.adventurerv.net/suburban-nt20se-nt20se-...ce=Froogle

The first one was free, and I was doing body work on that panel, that was old and made a ton of noise, like a bearing in the fan was not there or something. I then got one out of a RV in a junkyard for $25, it was awesome. I used it in the winter with roof down at ski resorts and it was great. I wouldn't run it when sleeping, just while hanging out and waking up. I loved it. I sold the bay window. I put it in below the sink behind the drivers seat.

I now have a passenger syncro with no cabinets, just an adventure wagon bed. I love the roominess of the interior and don't want a cabinet. The propex is appealing because I can put it on the outside of the van and not loose space. I don't have a propane tank now, and would only need it for the furnace.

I do like the idea of a gas heater, but I'll have to look into how I would tap it into the gas line of the syncro. It is more money, and I want something to work in ski resorts, and I often camp above 7000'.
I'll be following this thread and seeing how the elevation thing works out. I get nervous about not having it work after a day in the mountains skiing. So many choices.

I also have camped in my van next to people with Propex's and they were very loud for me on the outside. My suburban wasn't loud at all and pumped up the heat.
I do not mind cutting holes in my body for function and comfort. Just rambling out loud, looking for the perfect furnace.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newfisher wrote:
How goes the install? I just ordered the Airtop 200ST Gasoline

new fisher: where did you order it from?
Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: