Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rear bumper splash plates
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: rear bumper splash plates Reply with quote

Hi people,

Can anybody advise me are rear bumper splash plates necessary the van has gone in for a paint job and upon removing the bumper there was a lot of rust in the are where the plates can these be left off when I replace the rear bumper

thanks
Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are heat shields . More of a safety item than anything else as they shield dresses, clothing, etc. from contacting a hot muffler. Not totally necessary.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pans support the ends of the bumper, without them the ends wiggle up and down and eventually crack the blade at the mount bolts. They also keep rocks from bouncing off the inside of the blade and chewing up the back of the bus. Never seen them cause rust, did the bus sit a long time with leaves or pine needles trapped in there?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Dana Champion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day it was common place to remove them. Keeping these critters more stock original today is where it's at. I would put them back on. They are available, you might have to get them overseas.
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As busdaddy said, these splash pans are absolutely necessary to support the ends of the bumper from wiggling up and down. This is what they look like on the assembled rear bumper with brackets

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Without any splash pans or anything else to support the bumper, you'll get cracks in the paint/powdercoat where the bracket carriage bolts are. Look closely. With enough bumping and wiggling up and down, the steel of the bumper can begin to tear as well

These are not always easy parts to find, so in the meantime get some steel and bend it to the correct shape. Use some rubber gaskets to protect your paint. This is what I did while searching for my splash pans. This won't keep rocks from hitting the underside of the car, but they'll hold the bumper steady.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is for your 1972. Only 72 splash pans will fit.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?...t_dir=DESC
Good Luck
Tcash
chris123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thanks everybody for your advice , I will be putting them back on
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: rear bumper splash plates Reply with quote

I came across this while searching for info on splash pans. I see from the above picture that they appear to be the white bumper color. I recently got a used set to refurbish for a 70 I'm working on, and although all the top paint had flaked off, the bottom had some black paint under some undercoating. So, are they all white, white top with black bottom, or is the black paint a rattle can job that has nothing to do with the color?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: rear bumper splash plates Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I came across this while searching for info on splash pans. I see from the above picture that they appear to be the white bumper color. I recently got a used set to refurbish for a 70 I'm working on, and although all the top paint had flaked off, the bottom had some black paint under some undercoating. So, are they all white, white top with black bottom, or is the black paint a rattle can job that has nothing to do with the color?

From the factory, the bumpers and brackets were white, while the splash pans were black. I have no idea the percentage of gloss, but my local powder-coater does runs of gloss and semi gloss black every other week, so I just had him throw them in with whatever he had that week. They looked nice until a Honda bashed into them in Mancos, Colorado. Funny, the bumper powdercoat was fine but it snapped a bumper bolt and folded the splash pan… Mad

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: rear bumper splash plates Reply with quote

After what I saw happened to a friend's bus from a parking tap on the rear bumper, I have opted to run with no rear bumper. On my bus it would have just been a ding. It ripped the shit out of both rear corners on his and fucked up the bumper. Hit and run.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: rear bumper splash plates Reply with quote

I sourced an original, non restored set of 70' splash pans. They were black from the factory and didn't look gloss but more like the engine tin glossiness or semi gloss.

They are absolutely needed unless you want your bumper ends flopping around and looking terrible. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: rear bumper splash plates Reply with quote

Interesting...... So the 70 I got them for didn't have them. And like mentioned, if you bumped the end of the bumper with your knee, it would sit there and vibrate like a tuning fork. The drivers side of the body was completely smooth without any mounting hole, or raised section. After doing some investigating, it turned out it had been bumped into and that section of the body had been patched, and filled over. It's a shame because that was about the only bad spot on the whole Bus. It also explains why they weren't on because the drivers side one was probably destroyed. The black paint I did find on mine was a satin type finish, so I'll put them back in that. For anyone's future reference, SEM's Hot Rod Black is a nice catalyzed paint that has about a 60%/degree gloss. Thanks to all for the info!
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: rear bumper splash plates Reply with quote

When I found those splash pans they were still primer gray. I had no idea what color they were supposed to be, so I just had them powder coated to match the bumper. Guess I should have done some research first before acting- oops Shocked The white on white still works for me though.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: rear bumper splash plates Reply with quote

awreed wrote:
When I found those splash pans they were still primer gray. I had no idea what color they were supposed to be, so I just had them powder coated to match the bumper. Guess I should have done some research first before acting- oops Shocked The white on white still works for me though.

It's all good. I would actually prefer them in white, and I may still go with white if the customer wants to. The shop I work at does a lot of OEM restorations, so the "what is correct" ideal has gotten hard wired into my brain. It's a nice stock Bus, but it's a fun vehicle for the customer, and I don't think it matters much to them about correctness.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: