Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 Bus Rescue n Survivor Restore
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus Rescue n Survivor Restore Reply with quote

hello-
I am trying to put my bearings back onto the axle ends and install the hub, washer and locking nut, but I have 1 piece left over.. It is a spring looking ring.. I am not sure where it goes and my brother and I couldn't find it in the manual at all..
Is it the "sealing ring?"
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus Rescue n Survivor Restore Reply with quote

This is the ring:
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake drum specifications Reply with quote

Pinetops wrote:

So does this mean you should or shouldn't have them turned?

Yes
Permissible turned diameter
Front and rear is 251.20 mm so you can cut up to 1.20 mm.
If it cannot be cleaned up by 251.50 it is scrap metal.

Good Luck
Tcash
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus Rescue n Survivor Restore Reply with quote

Thanks, I kept seeing them as the same figures but I see now.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus Rescue n Survivor Restore Reply with quote

ThisMetalMess wrote:
hello-
I am trying to put my bearings back onto the axle ends and install the hub, washer and locking nut, but I have 1 piece left over.. It is a spring looking ring.. I am not sure where it goes and my brother and I couldn't find it in the manual at all..
Is it the "sealing ring?"

What you have in your hand is #8 oring in the picture above. It goes on the rear axle on the early buses not the front. 68-79 does not use that O-ring.
Are you talking about #23 C-clip that holds the rear inner bearing in?

benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus Rescue n Survivor Restore Reply with quote

Craving an update here!
1961bluebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus Rescue n Survivor Restore Reply with quote

wow what a find:-) If the bus stayed in my climate outside for such a long time..nothing would be left!!!

|82x94|

1961 Deluxe beetle, 1971 type 181, 1968 T2a Baywindow, 1973 Type 147 "Swiss Fridolin"(sold), 1966 Deluxe sedan (sold), 1983 "Silver Bug" edition (sold), 1961 beetle (sold)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus Rescue n Survivor Restore Reply with quote

benandmj wrote:
Craving an update here!

Not too much to update as ive recently gotten back from traveling and have loww funds.
I guess a couple of things... I took the engine out and stripped all the time and things off and repainted the tins. It's all sitting in the bus waiting for my attention. My brother bought me a front window seal and chrome kit for my birthday because the front seal leaks and I'll do that soon.

I also found a bus I might buy for parts and possibly for the metal panel across from the slider door which needs to be cut out and rewelded from a donor bus. So I've been thinking about that as well.

1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus Rescue n Survivor Restore Reply with quote

Might want to reconsider cutting up a complete Bus, especially an early Bay Deluxe. There are some ads up parting busses in the classifieds, lots in CA,if you are bent on OG metal. You could probably sell the red one easy after a little work and cleaning. Actually, with some careful hammer and dolly work, and some shrinking, you could probably get yours pretty close to the original shape. Look for a book called "The Key to Metal Bumping". I found it online. Always nice when you don't have to cut up a non rusty bus, especially if you are a beginner...
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus Rescue n Survivor Restore Reply with quote

Or even not cut up your blue bus. That spot looks like it can be pulled, pounded and lightly filled - saving from cutting og metal on your ride.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus Rescue n Survivor Restore Reply with quote

1967250s wrote:
Might want to reconsider cutting up a complete Bus, especially an early Bay Deluxe. There are some ads up parting busses in the classifieds, lots in CA,if you are bent on OG metal. You could probably sell the red one easy after a little work and cleaning. Actually, with some careful hammer and dolly work, and some shrinking, you could probably get yours pretty close to the original shape. Look for a book called "The Key to Metal Bumping". I found it online. Always nice when you don't have to cut up a non rusty bus, especially if you are a beginner...

None of my pics give justice to anything. No, my bus is not possibly repairable without cutting and welding. I also am not new to metal work. There are creases that cannot be pulled back.

No, this donar bus is not rust free. It's so damn rusty im considering leaving it to Melt into the ground. It's not restorable unless you are insane, definitely not worth it for a bay. And the engine is shot, 100%
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus Rescue n Survivor Restore Reply with quote

Finally put my engine back together
Laughing
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus Rescue n Survivor Restore Reply with quote

Quick update.
I finished assembling my engine and am getting everything all sorted out. I replaced all the fuel line, and mustache bar mounts and gaskets and cleaned everything out. I bolted it in tonight with my brothers help and tomorrow I will finish snuggling it up. I bought oil and am excited to do another oil change, and get the electrical setup and test the rebuilt carb and see how the engine runs with new components. I'll have my friend come over and walk me through the valve adjustments and then get it running again!
After that i have to replace the axle boots and bleed the brakes and new tires are ordered into the local America's Tires shop.
After that maybe I can finally drive it!?
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus Rescue n Survivor Restore Reply with quote

Hello-

I can't seem to get my engine running.. It took us 2 hours to get it running after an oil change and minor tinkering with gravity fed gas and i cannot seem, after rebuilding the carb and doing lots of other work, to get it started. I have gotten the timing correct, firing order correct, checked for spark, and am giving it both starter fluid and gas into the float and also have primed the gas pump which appears to be working.. The most I can get is what seems to be maybe 1 or 2 combustions from cylinders and then it dies.

Where do I start?
Bad coil? Bad spark plugs?
paulsvwbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus Rescue n Survivor Restore Reply with quote

Well you need compression, spark and fuel to fire plus a timed engine. You say you check for spark-at the plugs? with a spark tester? Make sure you check for spark at least on a cylinder on each bank. Do you have close to 12 volts at the coil positive side? This comes from the ignition switch, if not start there. If ok then make sure you're getting fuel. Is you float adjusted correctly? You should have done this when the carb was out, that way you could pull the throttle lever to see if fuel is getting sprayed down the carb. And double check your firing order. 1,4,3,2
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus Rescue n Survivor Restore Reply with quote

ThisMetalMess wrote:
I can't seem to get my engine running.. It took us 2 hours to get it running after an oil change and minor tinkering with gravity fed gas and i cannot seem, after rebuilding the carb and doing lots of other work, to get it started. I have gotten the timing correct, firing order...

So was it ever running or was it never running? You said it took you two hours to get it running....do you mean it wont start now after your carb work and whatever else? If so, then look at your carb work and whatever else if you had it running already.

Did you static time it with a test lamp? How are you certain about your timing and firing order? Because you actually had it running already? That's what's not clear.
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus Rescue n Survivor Restore Reply with quote

paulsvwbug wrote:
Well you need compression, spark and fuel to fire plus a timed engine. You say you check for spark-at the plugs? with a spark tester? Make sure you check for spark at least on a cylinder on each bank. Do you have close to 12 volts at the coil positive side? This comes from the ignition switch, if not start there. If ok then make sure you're getting fuel. Is you float adjusted correctly? You should have done this when the carb was out, that way you could pull the throttle lever to see if fuel is getting sprayed down the carb. And double check your firing order. 1,4,3,2

I must have compression because if ran before and I didn't pull the heads apart. I have spark at all plugs and I'm introducing fuel manually into the float and also gravity fed into the carb so it should have gas I will pull the carb off today and make sure. Firing order is correct. I will also check the coil but I tried 2 and neither helped.
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus Rescue n Survivor Restore Reply with quote

paulsvwbug wrote:

I must have compression because if ran before and I didn't pull the heads apart. I have spark at all plugs and I'm introducing fuel manually into the float and also gravity fed into the carb so it should have gas I will pull the carb off today and make sure. Firing order is correct. I will also check the coil but I tried 2 and neither helped.
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus Rescue n Survivor Restore Reply with quote

Still can't get it running. So I dealt with this today instead of frustration.

AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus Rescue n Survivor Restore Reply with quote

I have a feeling this is going to be awesome! New tires are arriving tomorrow.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: