Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you need an engine on the road, junkyard one from the same (donor) model year, switch over the intake and go.

this is why it's so important to record the VIN of the donor.

for the most part, a 2.5 is a 2.5 is a 2.5, the engine management must stay the same. some were MAF, some were MAP etc etc, but the key is the intake. I can take any 2.5 on the planet and put my intake on top of it. 2.2/2.5 intakes are wildly different, but bolt up to 2.2/2.5 engines...

for example

my engine is a 2.5 block, 2.2 heads 2.2 engine management and intake with some tweeks to it (intake/fueling) to support my frankenengine

I had custom head gaskets made to my specs to adapt the 2.2 heads to the 2.5 block.

there are differences in head bolts between the 2.2/2.5 heads. so...mine is a mix of parts through several model years to make it work. unless I could service it till it dies or I croak, it would be unfair to sell what I built for myself to joe public based on the fact that a shop would tell you to pound sand should you bring it for service.

in my mind, it's important in these swaps to keep it "stock" Subaru so any issues can be resolved by doing diag for a 20xx forester/impreza (whatever your donor is)

basically, the way I wire these I tap in to the stock vw alt, oil pressure and the 15 feed to the coil...from those 3 points, the rest is Subaru. there is no real molestation of the factory vw wiring.

it makes for a pretty clean install. 1 big issue is the Subaru harness is about as flexible as a rock. there is a lot of wires in the bundle.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

Sounds like you have a unique set up.
My thought was the turn around time and expense of putting in a short block versus a long block on the road.
Just a thought
Tcash
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Sounds like you have a unique set up.
My thought was the turn around time and expense of putting in a short block versus a long block on the road.
Just a thought
Tcash

a junk yard engine would be install and go. would I do it? not without doing all the timing components. plus 90% of the cars in the junk yard have had either:

engine failure

transmission failure

if you can't hear it run, I would pass. my time is way to valuable to dick around with a gamble like that. imagine if dumpy's owners dragged some engine out of a yard, I got it all in and hit the key to find blown head gaskets, broken timing belt, rod knock etc....

Link

by the way, I am in there at 0:29 Cool

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

Harness is ready!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

you are the man!!

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

well, finished dumpy up and their owners came to pick her up tonight. just got confirmation that they are home and happy....with the heat pumping on this cold November night....

so, I am sharpening my chisel and ax to start hacking away at PUTT-N

so, up until this point, I was making my own cooling pipes. by chance, I ran into an old friend at napa who has access to a pipe bender. it was a royal time consuming pain in the tic tac's to weld these up, so I had some bent up

well, ok....I had a lot bent up

let the good times roll....

I have a few things I can do to keep moving forward till the harness turns up and the heads get done...stay tuned

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

started in on the hanger

I really wish the RMW hanger worked out...it's a ton of work making these hangers. by the time you add up time and material it's in line with a RWM hanger. I would love to open a box and install said part, but that's not the way it works with these swaps...

tomorrow I hope to use the old engine to mock up the end plates and get those out of the way and get it ready for the real deal install.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

What about the rjes bar or the bus lab bar?
Not a Priest.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

never seen bus labs, and RJES looks to mount the same way. I need to follow the inner frame rail to keep my pipes tight and out of the way. my bars mount on the out side of the frame rail leaving a bit of a pocket to accomplish this.

my cooling pipes barely hang below the pinch weld on the frame. thankfully I can get away with a smaller bar on the late buses due to the fact that the transmission is supported. early bays I use some pretty diesel stuff to hold the weight.

that's the early bay bar. just to be "trick" the mounts (plates with the 3 holes in them) tuck INSIDE my frame. it was kind of a bitch to do it that way so now I go on the outside of the rails.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

Did you ever have a go at using the Subaru engine carrier? You already have it, and you only need to fabricate two small brackets to adapt it to mount to the frame rails. Might have the same problem as the RMW bar with it interfering with your cooling system thou. Only you would know for sure.
JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

Very Happy

Last edited by JeffRobenolt on Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

captincanuck wrote:
Did you ever have a go at using the Subaru engine carrier? You already have it, and you only need to fabricate two small brackets to adapt it to mount to the frame rails. Might have the same problem as the RMW bar with it interfering with your cooling system thou. Only you would know for sure.

nope. it looks like crap. I haven't even bothered to mess with it. honestly it's just easier to build what I want rather than modify a piece that I wouldn't be happy with.

the bars are not really that hard to make just very time consuming welding them and plasma cutting all the bits

cool video jeff! that was dumpy's harness

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

Whoops, here is the right video

Link

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

well, jeff got the harness back to me...and as usual his work is outstanding!

we decided to go ahead and paint the engine bay while she was all naked.

so, I went and color mapped the color on the bus. when she gets a full re-spray, at least the engine bay will be all dialed in

now before anyone gets all "the paint looks brighter" well, it does, as it's on a bright metal lid. using the right value shade primer will darken it up a bit, and paint darkens a bit when it dries....trussssst meee Very Happy

got more stuff cleaned up

and test fitted the hanger using the old short block

so, now that I have the materials to paint, I will get that out of the way in the next few days. Subaru order due in Monday and still waiting on the heads to come back from the machine shop. radiator off at the shop getting modified as we speak

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
crownline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

Skills, you sure do great work with your setup. Very professional. I think I need to save my money for my 72 and talk the wife into it. After all she drives a WRX Confused

"It"s got some dings and dents and neither of us is going to SEMA."(Update, I went to SEMA in 2019 but the Bus stayed home)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-8446.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

thanks Embarassed I do my best to try and make these swaps go smoothly...no 2 swaps are ever the same.

so, I went to go remove the transmission today so I can get started on the clean up to get the bay/transmission hole painted.

as I was removing the axles, I hung my head in shame, muttered a f*ck me out of the corner of my mouth and just went for it....

we needed to re-boot the axles. anyone who has done this knows what a time consuming, messy messy messy nasty miserable low man on the totem pole job this is. especially picking the poop out of the bolt heads.

needless to say, I got 1 cleaned, blasted and pre greased

as I was pulling the other one and looked at the devastation the first one brought to my rags, solvent tank and 1/2 case of brake cleaner I didn't have it in me to rip the other one apart yet Laughing

but I did get all the bolts de-pooped and blasted

yuck...axles are just a train wreck mess of an operation...

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

Hire me for $15/hr and I'll do all the axles and bring you all the beer you need. And I can be a smart-ass online, so with a little training I could take care of a lot of bullshit as your proxy!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Hire me for $15/hr and I'll do all the axles and bring you all the beer you need. And I can be a smart-ass online, so with a little training I could take care of a lot of bullshit as your proxy!

when can you be here?

you know, your comment just gave me a very sad realization...

I am closer to 40 than I am 30. I have 1 kid and don't plan on another. she is awesome, and although I would NEVER wish my line of work on anyone your comment got me to thinking...

I have no one...zip, nada...that I can share my knowledge with. kind of depressing actually. when I was growing up if there was a hood up in the neighborhood, I was there. I had been known at a very early age to get a Christmas present and ask for a screw driver....those kids just don't exist anymore.

I look around at my daughters daycare and see the future...2 gang bangers, a potential terrorist, 3 trailer park princess's, andy dick, a janitor and the rest will just push paper for some company...none of the kids are even remotely interested in mechanical stuff. a sad reality that I have come to.

you wouldn't want to slum around here in CT when you have all that CA stuff you (can't) do

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

I'll come out and work with you....I need to learn custom skills....got basic machnical down pretty good, so that'll save you some time Wink

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

got more stuff cleaned up

How much for one of those "Skillsified" reversed coolant manifolds? You could make some serious cake Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: