Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

Why not get axles at FLAPs for $70 a piece that have lifetime warranty??
Not a Priest.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

captincanuck wrote:
How much for one of those "Skillsified" reversed coolant manifolds? You could make some serious cake Laughing

it hasn't been reversed. just cleaned

BusPriest wrote:
Why not get axles at FLAPs for $70 a piece that have lifetime warranty??

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

the last pair I used (customer insisted on new) were such junk, when rolling the bus it felt like there was a knot in the CV's. (like a 4WD trying to take a turn into a parking spot) I would much rather rebuild/clean/reboot german stuff that will last a lifetime, no warranty needed.

*sigh* I wish people would shop quality over price. even at my labor rate the axles will be done for what you could buy china axles for, plus whatever the boots cost. even at that, the boot quality is sketchy at best these days, so why have an accelerated failure of both boot and joint?

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

Want to know why not to use cheap axles?

Search OPERATION: Stuckfoose
Nuff said

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

well, there's that...

but stuart, you could break a pry bar in a sand box Laughing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
well, there's that...

but stuart, you could break a pry bar in a sand box Laughing

True that!

Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

so, I expected to wake up with a beer from Robbie, or Stuart peering in my bedroom window, but nope. so, I finished one axle

need to recoup before I do the other one. my parts washer looks more like a scene from CSI and my trash can is oozing with nasty rags

in preparation for the bay repaint, I removed the transmission and mock up engine and went to town with the pressure washer

more better

seeing I have to pull the tail lights for the paint, there was no way I wasn't going to clean every wire I touched

we like clean terminals.

also laid out the heater, wiring harness, ECU and whatnot. we are rolling now! slowly, but rolling none the less

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

Popcorn nice vey nice.

But more important. How did you pull that picture of Marsha Brady saying China? Sweet sweet Marsha. Keep up the laughs and build thread. Really entertaining. Almost as entertaining as this first date couple next to me in the pub trying to impress each other with nonsense. Dude is totally not getting laid tonight. And if he does it's going to be rotten Twisted Evil good god they are
boring. Awesome job skills. Someday I will need your VW/Subie swap services. Unless Brother Tritessa teaches me the force. Funny thing, I would rather keep Air Cooled but more importantly I want to Keep on Busin' ( camping ) I fear the day I need motor work.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Keep up the laughs and build thread..

thanks brother

I'm just easy...

Link

as for Marsha, I know a guy that knows a guy

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Unless Brother Tritessa teaches me the force.

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

You two are hilarious. But Skills I think you more easy like Mike Patton Very Happy
Sorry to hijack.

Link

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

Since kevin doesn't eat pork....Laughing

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

so, I am enjoying a short captain+pepsi as I write this in my spiffy new mug

and tomorrow, I will start my day with an irish coffee Very Happy

the Subaru fairy stopped in today

nothing like taking the wrapper of a brand new engine

spent pretty much all day prepping and painting the engine bay. before I did that, I had to weld the really rusty battery tray..

if I could find buses this clean, I would be a very dangerous man....

engine bay:

I was a bit pissed...I had bagged off the tank area only to have the tape let loose on my last coat, hence the overspray in the tank area. why is it that tape never sticks where you want it, but has no problem at all sticking to the floor or your shoe Think

tomorrow I will start modding the firewall. can't do too much for a day or 2 while the paint dries. will probably reassemble the intake manifold too

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

Bbbbwwwaaa... just the hung over assassins Cool

Fu&kin tape Rolling Eyes

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

Man, now I'm going to have to paint my underside. Way to inspire.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

captincanuck wrote:
Man, now I'm going to have to paint my underside. Way to inspire.

well, it's like this...

the swaps that I have done for folks are on "forever" buses..as in, they have zero plans on ever selling them. once the swap is done, no one will ever pull it all back apart to just paint the bay so spending the day or so now is way better/more practical than pulling it back apart in the future and be down a week.

this is what I call a case of the "may as well's". yes, it does add up doing all the little extras, but the end result is better.

I can't wait to see that beautiful lump of aluminum in there. the color is really going to make it pop in the engine bay. I personally think if you don't detail the bay, you'll have builders remorse

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

Tru-dat! Time and time again I watch my builder put newly rebuilt engines in ACVWs with out cleaning/painting the engine bay. Not that he doesn't want to but the customer dissent see the "value" in that. I may have a primer paint job and some rust but when you peer into my engine bay it's super clean and you know it's got a new engine just by looking at it.

Nice work skills, way to educate the public on swaps and how to listen to your builder.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

It looks great Skills! I agree with you in that painting the engine bay really makes it look great.

One thing I do when I spot paint things like this is use my 500watt lights and point them at the paint. Those damn lights throw off an amazing amount of heat. If I put them close, they'll bake the paint at around 160 degrees. My laser temp gauge measures it pretty accurately. It's a huge time saver as it dries the paint faster for me so I can get back in the area and keep working. I usually bake it for around 40 minutes then move the lights to a different spot until it's all dry.

Did I miss it? What's the customer doing for the transmission? Anything?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Tru-dat! Time and time again I watch my builder put newly rebuilt engines in ACVWs with out cleaning/painting the engine bay. Not that he doesn't want to but the customer dissent see the "value" in that. I may have a primer paint job and some rust but when you peer into my engine bay it's super clean and you know it's got a new engine just by looking at it.

Nice work skills, way to educate the public on swaps and how to listen to your builder.

I try. thing is, I have made mistakes and had regrets on a level most can't imagine. I do my best to "see the future".

still, if the customer says no, it's no. I need to look for stuff that matters (mechanical etc) paint doesn't "matter" but it's a nice thing to do when you're there.

as far as the transmission, it's a benco unit

I made the VSS bracket and got the gas tank firewall boxed today

did some other odds and ends too. heads are done and I will pick those up tomorrow

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

This thread has gone a long long long way in convincing me of what I already suspected that I needed to do on my "forever" bus. You and I think a lot alike. Do it right, and do it once. You and I may should have a conversation sometime.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 13

Jump to: