Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Information regarding Barndoor roof rack
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
luftgekuhlt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Information regarding Barndoor roof rack Reply with quote

Wonder if someone has information/brochures/diagrams/drawings/pics regarding this bd roof rack. don't know if it's original or it is custom made. What do you experts think?

I am planning to weld a DIY roof rack and this model looks nice to me. I think thou I would do the cross bars longer in order to have classic fasteners to the drop list. Unless someone has better ideas, I'm open to all suggestions.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1965* 21W Samba (MCode 430 114) - 51 BD Standard Microbus (Type 22A. M62) - 1967 Westfalia pop-top (SOLD)
* 1965 according to chassie number but regged as 1964
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few different racks of that style in the gallery:

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
luftgekuhlt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic examples you have added- They look pretty much the same as my example.

Your example #2 is very close and I wonder if some of them (like my example) are drilled in the roof or if the link to the drop list is missing.

Even though some of them provide less cargo area by being so narrow I find them elegant.

Still my question remain, is my example, and your example #2 and #3 home made or some brand like BeKoWa (or any other)...

1965* 21W Samba (MCode 430 114) - 51 BD Standard Microbus (Type 22A. M62) - 1967 Westfalia pop-top (SOLD)
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luftgekuhlt wrote:
Fantastic examples you have added- They look pretty much the same as my example.

Your example #2 is very close and I wonder if some of them (like my example) are drilled in the roof or if the link to the drop list is missing.

Even though some of them provide less cargo area by being so narrow I find them elegant.

Still my question remain, is my example, and your example #2 and #3 home made or some brand like BeKoWa (or any other)...

Example #3 was a factory installed rack. I would expect it was fabricated by the factory workers. The rack is painted brown to match the upper half of the bus, which is still wearing its first paint. The rack is bolted through the roof and the headliner was installed afterwards. The original headliner is still in place and the rack has never been removed. There is no way to unbolt it unless you take the headliner out. The owner (Clara) has a 53 dated photo of the bus on the floor of Wolfsburg assembly plant. The rack was in place then.
Lazaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Information regarding bd roof rack Reply with quote

You can check this page :
www.airmapp.com/vintagepictures

And type in "rack" in the search engine to get some vintage photos of busses with roof racks.. or click below directly Wink
===> http://www.airmapp.com/vintagephotos/rack
Brian_1952
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Information regarding bd roof rack Reply with quote

Is the bus with one on there too

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
luftgekuhlt wrote:

Example #3 was a factory installed rack. I would expect it was fabricated by the factory workers. The rack is painted brown to match the upper half of the bus, which is still wearing its first paint. The rack is bolted through the roof and the headliner was installed afterwards. The original headliner is still in place and the rack has never been removed. There is no way to unbolt it unless you take the headliner out. The owner (Clara) has a 53 dated photo of the bus on the floor of Wolfsburg assembly plant. The rack was in place then.

There are not many buses with racks like mine, but there are a few. The rack on the Post bus looks to be the same style, but longer. Nice pic, Brian.

headliner still in place, though old and thrashed:

Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Information regarding bd roof rack Reply with quote

from http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...mp;start=0

luftgekuhlt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clara wrote:

Thanks a lot for the pics and additional information Clara. I think I will opt for this model, it really looks appropriate for the bd and will look grand in my 51 MAYBE I will extend it a little sideways and backward as in the Deutsche Bundespost pic or this other (below) from the archive. I love those vertical bars even more that the models in my own pics at the start of the thread. There are 7 vertical bars in the Deutsche Bundespost bd roof rack and 6 in yours, could you be so kind to measure the distance between bars in your roof rack? Also mine will be resting in the drop list. Pics will follow but project is in the mental planning phase still, but you get an idea of where I am going.

Could you also be so kind to add another pic of your roof rack from the front or the rear. I see your (magnified) example has 5 bars in front and rear the same as yours (I believe at least from one of the pics) while the Deutsche Bundespost has only 4. The distance between those front/rear bars in your roof rack would also be highly appreciated, thanks.

PS: Is there any other pic of the BOCO bd' that shows the roof rack from other angle so front/rear are visible?

Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, the bundespost rack has 4 uprights across the front, while my bus has 5. It looks like the BOCO bus rack also has 5.

My rack is set a little further back, probably to give room for the nifty air vent.
A WW floor half fits in the rack basket.
I cannot measure anything for a while, as the bus is in a storage garage, and it is not very convenient. I do not have enough room at my place to keep everything out of the weather. Sad But I don't want it out in the rain.

There are more pics in my gallery.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?...t_dir=DESC

Huetti_1989
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Information regarding Barndoor roof rack Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=757182
My 1954 Deutsche Bundespost Barndoor:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=621802
My 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westfalia:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=716285
My 1991 Westfalia California:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=650751
luftgekuhlt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Information regarding Barndoor roof rack Reply with quote

Thanks Clara for the nice pics (thanks huetti as well), the one from the front of the bus is very nice and gives a good idea, even if you can't take the measures at the moment I think I will get an off-the-cuff guess from that pic by knowing the measure of the roof, for my project a ballpark figure will do.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: