Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Manual clutch cable
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
partwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Manual clutch cable Reply with quote

On a 1996 VW Jetta, 2.0, self adjusting clutch cable, to a manual clutch cable, I am trying to go to.

After the mechanic took out the self adjusting cable, it is made differently on the rubber part that goes to the firewall with a female rubber grommet, that the male end of the cable goes into, than the manual cable, that has a larger, but shorter, male end on it. He thought that maybe I needed a different rubber grommet for the manual cable?

I ended up getting two manual cables, and on the clutch fork end of things, they are even made differently than each other. One has a threaded end, and the other one has a non threaded end, with a nut shaped stop/piece on the end of it.

Could someone tell me what part I am missing, or which manual cable is the correct one, supposedly they were both for that year?
Is there suppose to even be a grommet used with the manual cable?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a manual cable that will directly replace the auto adjust one. This link has the pn and even a place to purchase if you can't find one locally.
http://www.germanautoparts.com/productdisplay/5962
partwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one of the two styles I have. One has a threaded end, and the other is like in the picture.

I know the self adjusting one has a grommet up by the firewall, on the engine side he showed me, but the mechanic was saying the manual was too long, and maybe needed a grommet as well, but the manual has a bigger end on it.I'm wondering if he knows what he is talking about??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

partwerks wrote:
I'm wondering if he knows what he is talking about??

I'd be wondering that too. If he has the correct pn, they are a direct swap. The hardest part is getting the cable into the pedal end.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: