Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

For those that complain about ACVW part prices
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I regularly 'lose' fairing screws off my '02 CBRF4i. After having to replace these stupid things multiple times and feeling the pinch in my wallet, I'm beginning to wonder if they're not falling off, but perhaps are being coaxed off by some a-hole in the parking lot with a hex set. Fairing screws for sport bikes are unique, specific, and expensive. $70 for a full set of about 20 screws and rubber grommets.

Another time I came back to my bike and noticed that I was missing a bar end- $28 for a new OEM set.

Rear ended a GMC van- $700 for a new front fairing with a 20% discount.

Wife drops my bike and side mirror breaks off- $70 for a new one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$25 is a bit steep for the 2 plastic parts of a non-obsolete vehicle.
but the $20 shipping would have been the same even if it was a twinkie. that's on you and your urgent need.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to buy a headlight for my wifes Yukon recently. $1295 and I had to put it in.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently: Little 2-wire wiring harness for our Mazda - $100
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buguy wrote:
Had to buy a headlight for my wifes Yukon recently. $1295 and I had to put it in.

Ouch! Must be the HID type. That's pretty standard, though usually it's just a capsule at about $100 or so. If it needs the housing, aiming mechanism, and step-up electronics, then $1-2K is typical.

My Prius had a recall on them, and even before that I had them replaced under warranty. They just turn off. Cycling power made them work again, but if you are in the middle of a curve on a dark and story night... Anyway, the bill showed a price like yours for the market value.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a 2015 Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4 mega cab Laramie. Fancy leather and all the electronics. Ive seen some stuff for this thing that is astounding in price. I will NOT have this thing past the warranty!!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my wifes old(2001) mitsubitchey montarow.front wheel bearing $258. and about the only part avaliable after market was the breakpads.I chandged the timing belt,idlers,h2o pump....it was starting to eat me alive...so in 2006 I/we had to trade it for the 05 honda element, she has now with over 150000 miles and going strong. a lot of camper towing too. just some breakpadsonce and syn oil changes evey year and trans fluid changed 2 times. and 3 batterys(it has a battery for a lawn mower in it for some stupid reason). 3 sets of tires,1 set of acura rsx rims. dvd player and it just keeps going. I think it's a keeper.(wife too) I dont mind paying for a high quality part for my vw.but I will try to find the best deal I can on most stuff. some stuff you want to play you have to pay. I sure am gladd the china cranks&rods showed up on our shore.Im not sure I could/would buy a crower crank&rod for a vw, as I have them for my v8 stuff and there not cheep.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
buguy wrote:

Ouch! Must be the HID type. That's pretty standard, though usually it's just a capsule at about $100 or so. If it needs the housing, aiming mechanism, and step-up electronics, then $1-2K is typical.

My Prius had a recall on them, and even before that I had them replaced under warranty. They just turn off. Cycling power made them work again, but if you are in the middle of a curve on a dark and story night... Anyway, the bill showed a price like yours for the market value.

The Prius problem was more than that. The problem was that a voltage/amperage imbalance kept actually permanently blowing out lamps on some vehicles. No big deal...except the right hand light specifically....required the entire bumper assembly and fairing to be removed to replace it....a dumbass design issue. If yours was just a recycle issue....you are lucky. Ray

The huge cost was a labor issue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
buguy wrote:

The Prius problem was more than that. The problem was that a voltage/amperage imbalance kept actually permanently blowing out lamps on some vehicles. No big deal...except the right hand light specifically....required the entire bumper assembly and fairing to be removed to replace it....a dumbass design issue. If yours was just a recycle issue....you are lucky. Ray

The huge cost was a labor issue.

They replaced everything, and it was covered by my extended warranty, all but the tax on the bulbs, which was an accounting glitch I didn't bother addressing since I was saving $2K+ from the process before it became an actual recall.

Yes, it's a lot of labor but the parts were also significant, since they replaced the whole assembly and the controllers. Later they made it a recall but I had mine replaced free already.

Biggest failure on the car (unrelated to hybrid or battery) and it cost me (almost) nothing.

I like HIDs, at least when well-aimed. My night vision isn't great and I like to SEE. The new Benz has two per side and they dynamically dip and aim with steering, speed, and oncoming cars based on the forward looking camera. Heaven help me if that starts acting up!

The next generation will use LED matrix instead of HID technology, and do even more pattern-shaping of the beams, with the goal of having a "hole" in the high beam pattern dynamically aimed at the oncoming car, so they see no glare but you have your high-beam visibility.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my kids 2008 prious does that she bought it new and they never would fix it under warranty.I think she had it fixed last year.not cheep.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever you can, look on eBay for the exact factory part number

for instance, my Yukon Chrome, Power folding, auto dimming, turn signal, heated passenger mirror with puddle lamp from the dealer -MSRP $498.00 - eBay from a dealer, Genuine part $209 + shipping and tax
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
my kids 2008 prious does that she bought it new and they never would fix it under warranty.I think she had it fixed last year.not cheep.

Toyota took a while to expand the recall to all the affected cars, though they still might have left a few out. It was certain years only, then they added more later after further complaints. The NTSB website was full of complaints and there is strength in numbers. At first they replaced capsules, but when the problems returned they figured out it was the controller, which was WAY more money to fix.

Have you asked lately? It might be covered now. Their customer good will folks might process a refund if you have receipts for the work you had done.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: