Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.6 TD JX timing belt change / injector pump timing set
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75 ... 99, 100, 101  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6 TD JX timing belt change / injector pump timing set Reply with quote

ZsZ wrote:
As above, or shorten the bolt.
Nice use of a bicycle seat clamp Smile

Yes... as it is now, it actually is not rubbing at all - but still, this really is too close, I agree.

Yeah! The bike seat clamp is a nice trick, eh? Nobody in town had, or could even ORDER such a clamp!!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6 TD JX timing belt change / injector pump timing set Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
ZsZ wrote:
As above, or shorten the bolt.
Nice use of a bicycle seat clamp Smile

Yes... as it is now, it actually is not rubbing at all - but still, this really is too close, I agree.

Yeah! The bike seat clamp is a nice trick, eh? Nobody in town had, or could even ORDER such a clamp!!

You do realize that if you should EVER sell this bus that the next owner will be cursing that cheap PO that used a bicycle clamp on the shift linkage! Laughing Laughing Laughing

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6 TD JX timing belt change / injector pump timing set Reply with quote

Nice Ghetto fix. Smile A new bolt and you are good to go.

I had several such unsightly fixes on my van when I sold it. (I did disclose them though). Many of them are still rolling along. Some of those temp fixes ended up working so well, that I couldn't bring myself to screw with them. Embarassed
Epic Road Tripping since 08/05/12 | http://VagariesAbound.blogspot.com/
My Current Build | http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41215
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6 TD JX timing belt change / injector pump timing set Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:

You do realize that if you should EVER sell this bus that the next owner will be cursing that cheap PO that used a bicycle clamp on the shift linkage! Laughing Laughing Laughing

I guess the reality is that with all of these buses, we are ALWAYS going to be finding fault with the PO. Smile Smile

Question about OIL:
My turbo return pipe is leaking more and more and more and getting rediculous... gotta do something. Either I will modify the old one, OR, it seems there is a machine shop right in our town that can fabricate a new custom one, for cheap. Either way I gotta do this...

So, I need to drop all of the oil to do this messy job - and I have brand new oil in there now. If I use a perfectly clean bucket and make absolutely certain no unwanted material gets into that oil, can I simply pour that oil back into the engine after the work is done?

Or.... should I simply wait until my next oil change to swap the turbo oil return pipe?
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6 TD JX timing belt change / injector pump timing set Reply with quote

MidwestDrifter wrote:
Nice Ghetto fix. Smile

haha! Very Happy
Well if you thought that was nice, what did you think of my Turbo to Block bracket?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6 TD JX timing belt change / injector pump timing set Reply with quote

I would re-use the oil if you can keep it clean but maybe use a coffee filter on it when you put it back in....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6 TD JX timing belt change / injector pump timing set Reply with quote

On my first trip I broke the oil pan in Albania. I let down the oil into plastic soda bottles that I cut off the top at the neck and filled it back.
So the clean container trick is doable Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6 TD JX timing belt change / injector pump timing set Reply with quote

Filtering through some fine cloth, screen, filter of some kind works. The oil is filter after the pump, so minor contamination is of minimal concern.

If your containers are really clean, they you likely won't need any filtration. Just make sure not to knock some crud off your engine into the bucket. Smile

You might try jacking up that side of your van. Have a rubber plug on hand to put in the hole once you pull the hose out. I bet you will barely loose a quart if you are quick about it.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6 TD JX timing belt change / injector pump timing set Reply with quote

MidwestDrifter wrote:

You might try jacking up that side of your van. Have a rubber plug on hand to put in the hole once you pull the hose out. I bet you will barely loose a quart if you are quick about it.

Yeah that's an idea. The coffee filter idea also!

OK, you guys inspired me, I am going to get moving on this... I tired of LEAKS Twisted Evil

[maybe one of these days I will get around to further fine tuning the engine!]
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6 TD JX timing belt change / injector pump timing set Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
MidwestDrifter wrote:
Nice Ghetto fix. Smile

haha! Very Happy
Well if you thought that was nice, what did you think of my Turbo to Block bracket?

I think that is a perfectly legitimate repair. I would have used flat and star washers, and pinch nuts. But that's about it.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6 TD JX timing belt change / injector pump timing set Reply with quote

Thanks Smile ...but the thing is that it only attaches to ONE hole in the block - not two... so it is not as strong as it could be. But better than nothing for now - later I can tweek it.

MidwestDrifter wrote:
flat and star washers, and pinch nuts.

What are those??

- - -

BTW, regarding fixing the 'no reverse' issue... I twisted the forward linkage pipe to the right as far as it could go, and the rear pipe twisted to the left as far as it could go... still only giving me a changed spread of max 3mm (then could not twist anymore), and this fixed it. When I did not twist it that much, I got reverse back but no 1st gear! ...then the full twise and it all came back Smile

ZsZ wrote:
On my first trip I broke the oil pan in Albania. I let down the oil into plastic soda bottles...
Then what did you do???? Find a new oil pan down there?
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6 TD JX timing belt change / injector pump timing set Reply with quote

epowell wrote:

MidwestDrifter wrote:
flat and star washers, and pinch nuts.

What are those??

Star/serrated washers are designed to prevent bolts from loosening, especially in high vibration environments.

For the bolts where you have a nut on the back side, use a flat washer under the bolt head, this will prevent the head from damaging the bracket when you tighten it.

For the nut I like to use pinch nuts; also called distorted thread lock nuts. These are both nuts which are designed to prevent loosening in high vibration environments. The thread is slightly squished at one end. This produces noticeable resistance to tightening/loosening.

ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6 TD JX timing belt change / injector pump timing set Reply with quote

epowell wrote:

ZsZ wrote:
On my first trip I broke the oil pan in Albania. I let down the oil into plastic soda bottles...
Then what did you do???? Find a new oil pan down there?

Just hit a speedbump and cracked the oil pan. First I removed the pan and put silicone from inside. It solved the problem but i was not sure that it could make it home so I got the pan welded. After the welding it was worse so at home I got it patched.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6 TD JX timing belt change / injector pump timing set Reply with quote

ZsZ wrote:

Just hit a speedbump and cracked the oil pan.

Just an innocent speed bump??! Wow!

- - -

Thanks Midwest for these tips!
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6 TD JX timing belt change / injector pump timing set Reply with quote

We were 8 people fully packed down a slope where the bumps were not marked. Hit the 30kmh speedbump with 60kmh so the rear just touched the bump in the bouncing Smile
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6 TD JX timing belt change / injector pump timing set Reply with quote

ZsZ wrote:
We were 8 people fully packed down a slope where the bumps were not marked. Hit the 30kmh speedbump with 60kmh so the rear just touched the bump in the bouncing Smile

oh! I can't wait to get to Albania! [actually, seriously yes I am! ...but I will remember this story Smile ]
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6 TD JX timing belt change / injector pump timing set Reply with quote

Reminds me of Mexico. Tons of unmarked, over-height topes (speed bumps) everywhere. For some reason they are always built in the shade which makes them nearly impossible to see! Shocked Confused

I have watched big rigs potato-chip rims, crazy....

epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6 TD JX timing belt change / injector pump timing set Reply with quote

Do some people raise the suspension height of Vanagons? ...seems a good idea Shocked
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6 TD JX timing belt change / injector pump timing set Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
Do some people raise the suspension height of Vanagons? ...seems a good idea Shocked

It is a trend now. Everybody wants a Syncro alike Smile
You can buy the Gowesty stuff from Campervanculture UK.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6 TD JX timing belt change / injector pump timing set Reply with quote

ZsZ wrote:
It is a trend now.

It's a good idea, no? However my high-top is already SO high, that with raised suspension it would be absurd (and wind-factor even more disturbing) Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75 ... 99, 100, 101  Next
Jump to:
Page 74 of 101

Jump to: