Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Continental "R" tires. Are these for a Split?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
a57oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject: Continental "R" tires. Are these for a Split? Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I need your help again. I have 5 Continental "R" tires that I am trying to figure what they are correct for.
I bought these 20 plus years ago and was told at the time that they are for a late Split or early Oval.
I have done a bunch of surfing and come up empty handed.
Does anyone know what their correct application is? I plan on listing them in the classifieds and want to make sure I accurately represent them.
Thanks for your help,
Peter
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
originalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are 5.60-15 tyres, thatīs the correct dimension for post split bugs (15 inch whereas split bugs have 16 inch rims).
I would say those would be nice for Zwitter, Ovals and bugs up to 1960. If the rubber is still flexible and has no crackss when inflated.
However it is always risky to drive such old tyres.
I would recommend to offer them only for show purposes or as stand and store tyres.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a57oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks originalo for the response.
All splits had 16 wheels? I didn't know that.
Does anyone know how I can narrow down what years they were used on as OEM equipment?
These tires should only be used on show/display car. They do have age related cracking on them. It's minor but no way would I ever use these on the street.
Peter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Later splits or Zwitters had 15 inch wheels. My 56 Oval had those exact same tires on it when I got it! They were ancient but still holding air (I still have them, for some reason Very Happy )
a57oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks AlaninMass54,
Now I know they came on at least one 56. Can anyone else confirm years these tires were used? Getting closer to figuring it out,
Peter
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

late '52 known as Zwitter or Oval Dash Split and everything afterward.

It looks like there are lots of cracks in the sidewall of that tire that you show close up so as others have said, it is not advisable to use them on the road. Given the age and the cracks, they could have other more serious issues that could cause them to blowout at speed.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
a57oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splitjunkie:
Agreed 100% They should only be used for shows. On and off the trailer sort of thing.
Peter
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: