Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flush transaxle after trans rebuild (extreme flush!)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Flush transaxle after trans rebuild (extreme flush!) Reply with quote

10micron does seem "preposterous", super anal but that's what was on eBay, and assuages my current fears of contamination.

I'll give it a good test anyway. It was only $30, so if its not suitable its not a huge deal. I'll put a pressure gauge on the high side to know better what's happening. From this maybe a 28 micron oberg can be assessed. Hope this work on the fringes is providing you cooler/filter fellas with info you can use. Big problem for my test its 28*F today. Possibly this system needs a low temp electrical cutout. Or thermostat that bypasses the filter/cooler circuit at low temp.

Wish I had the strength to rip the transaxle apart again and clean that diff, but having all this high-powered eqpt plumbed in that exchanges all 4 qts of oil every 30 seconds, and not use it…..was difficult too. I thought I was going to use the camper one more time "last season", wanted to keep moving. I didn't camp, of course I wish I took it apart for cleaning.

Does anybody know the micron thickness of "90w oil film"?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Flush transaxle after trans rebuild (extreme flush!) Reply with quote

I have still been reading a lot about gear oils. It was interesting that when I spoke to Ron Weddle (Weddle Industries) he mentioned that I should still have some kind of magnetic filtering in the system that I was building. The inline filter that I purchased is a 200micron. Rolling Eyes So after listening to his comments, I thought I would share these articles:

http://www.gearsolutions.com/article/detail/5903/lubricant-contaminants-limit-gear-life

It was interesting to read that some gear oils already come contaminated by some test standards Shocked

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/794/magnetic-filtration

http://www.gearsolutions.com/article/detail/6125/magnetic-filtration-technology-

My cooling/filter system uses the drain/fill ports. So I lost the ability to have a magnet at the drain plug. I have since added some Neodymium N52 Magnets to my filtering system. These are placed on the outside of the aluminum filter housing. I am still looking at how to attach an (in line) with some other options. I do believe that any filtering system can be modified to add a magnetic system of some kind and improve it's effectiveness.

Sodo, after much of my investigation into your transaxle issues, it sure does look like contamination has been an problem with your early failures.

Here is a chart on Mesh/Micron sizes for comparison:

http://www.netafimusa.com/files/literature/wastewater/Mesh-vs-Micron.pdf

I am now going to do an earlier flush, than the recommended, at 600-1000 miles on any box that has been re-built to catch more of the contamination before it can do it's damage. Idea
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Flush transaxle after trans rebuild (extreme flush!) Reply with quote

Quote:
Sodo, after much of my investigation into your transaxle issues, it sure does look like contamination has been an problem with your early failures.

This has been eating away at me... after seeing that someone tampered with a used pinion bearing by "milling" it tighter with a belt sander.. his damage could have been caused by nothing other. Of course debris and contamination made matters worse down the road but that piece of handy work screwed his pooch.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Flush transaxle after trans rebuild (extreme flush!) Reply with quote

jberger wrote:
Quote:

This has been eating away at me... after seeing that someone tampered with a used pinion bearing by "milling" it tighter with a belt sander.. his damage could have been caused by nothing other. Of course debris and contamination made matters worse down the road but that piece of handy work screwed his pooch.

There are always two sides to every story and opinions are like.....you know the rest Wink
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Flush transaxle after trans rebuild (extreme flush!) Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
jberger wrote:
Quote:

There are always two sides to every story and opinions are like.....you know the rest Wink

I normally agree.. however, when something like that is found.. it is the smoking gun. It doesn't matter if a dead cat was found wadded up inside the case. Tampering with that bearing killed the transaxle.. and how many times was it reinstalled? Doesn't matter how hard he drove it, burnouts or not.. the failure is the bearing. All other damage is collateral.

When the builder pressed the bearing onto the pinion shaft and torqued the 1st gear bearing race he then would rotate the shaft to feel the bearing. That kind of modification would not produce a smooth turning situation requiring steady torque for 360°.. he would have realized his error immediately and not gone any further. Well, that is what he should have done.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Flush transaxle after trans rebuild (extreme flush!) Reply with quote

Really good reading SJ, thanks for gathering that together. I was told the Weddle filter is 140micron.

Syncro Jael wrote:

After seeing what I seen,,,,,I agree contamination must be a significant contributor. I don't know how long a transaxle SHOULD survive with a belt-sanded, wobbly, used pinion bearing but that was doomed as well. The first two failures (32k miles and 11k) were with a Tiico engine (110hp), these dismal "rebuilds" were BEFORE the EJ25 and the Peloquin.

I repeat that I have never read of anyone cleaning a Peloquin differential, but that's not a big surprise, as I rarely used TheSamba in the last 4 years. Bigger surprise is that nobody else "knew" either, which seems so obvious now, a "DUH" moment. T3 analogy to the oilcooler after a spun bearing is pertinent. I was SHOCKED by the amount of stuff that the Peloquin differential could hold (then let loose upon differentiating) and now you all have seen it too. Its still giving me the willies and I will filter obsessively until no new particles. Trans only has ~150 miles currently.

There should be no surprise that lots of people are having trouble with transaxles when a premier builder is (or was) belt-sanding perhaps the most important bearing in a transaxle and calling it a rebuild. I cannot be the only one, there must be a LOT out there. I'm curious how common this is. The only folks who will discover this is those who take an active part in the rebuild (and LOOK for grind marks).

I went back there four times. When one customer can't get elevated to "new bearing status" even on the 4th time it muse have been standard practice. You KNOW there's a lot more out there. Sorry if this ruffles feathers but being hush-hush about it is a PROBLEM for all vanagon owners. Well now you know, and you ALSO know how to look for the grind marks, and you SHOULD, so we know whats going on when you mail off your box and it comes back all "rebuilt". Lets hope it's not happening anymore.

jberger wrote:
I normally agree.. however, when something like that is found.. it is the smoking gun. It doesn't matter if a dead cat was found wadded up inside the case. Tampering with that bearing killed the transaxle.. and how many times was it reinstalled? Doesn't matter how hard he drove it, burnouts or not.. the failure is the bearing. All other damage is collateral.

When the builder pressed the bearing onto the pinion shaft and torqued the 1st gear bearing race he then would rotate the shaft to feel the bearing. That kind of modification would not produce a smooth turning situation requiring steady torque for 360°.. he would have realized his error immediately and not gone any further. Well, that is what he should have done.

JB I'm thankful for a reply from someone who actually knows whats in this transaxle. I doubt there was an opportunity to "realize error". He was doing it all day long, tranny in, tranny out, saving $120 each time. It must be that sometimes they run awhile. Maybe if by chance, if it was not run out, and also when ground nice & even / flat. Sloppy grind + contamination + 173 HP = 9,000 miles.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox

Last edited by Sodo on Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:57 am; edited 6 times in total
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Flush transaxle after trans rebuild (extreme flush!) Reply with quote

"22 drums of hydraulic fluids, bearings oils, and other products from six major oil companies were analyzed.5 Only three of the 22 (14 percent) drums could have passed a 16/14/12 specification, a reasonable general cleanliness target for oils in service in critical equipment."

- whoa!!
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Flush transaxle after trans rebuild (extreme flush!) Reply with quote

Yeah I saw that too, who knows what it really means. Maybe a guy should rig up a toilet-paper filter (1 micron) and pre-filter NEW tranny fluid before it goes in the box.

I rigged up a gravity TP filter in the garage just for the heck of it. It took 2 weeks to get most of my 90wt thru it (just gravity, and 30-40*F ), but it's clear & clean. This is cheaper oil I tested it on (Lucas). You lose the oil volume of the TP roll, which could be $25 of Swepco. I don't know if the Swepco will even pass thru it, but that might be a summer project (when it's warmer).

Here's an except from one of Syncro Jael's links describing micron size. It's for wastewater treatment. I would like to bypass-filter about 40 microns or below. That Oberg 28 micron unit, setup with bypass orifice sounds like a good number.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Flush transaxle after trans rebuild (extreme flush!) Reply with quote

might be worthwhile to cite that study to Swepco and ask them what they do to test for PMxx in their products

they are very good about getting back to you with info; so is Brad Penn

I find the boutique lube manfs. to give very good customer service...
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Flush transaxle after trans rebuild (extreme flush!) Reply with quote

If you feel a need to filter down to a few micron, do it with a separate bypass filter. The full flow portion should be at least 100 micron so as not to impede flow .. higher if installed pre-pump.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Flush transaxle after trans rebuild (extreme flush!) Reply with quote

I agree that the system's first responsibility is cooling FLOW.

I'll put a male/female AN fitting combination on the filter block so I can omit it. Or maybe a ball valve for bypass? Partial bypass? There are lots of options.

insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Flush transaxle after trans rebuild (extreme flush!) Reply with quote

System One and Oberg do not impact flow and filter extremely well.
I am now looking at the System One for another system being built currently, after being advised by PaulG.
Not a single issue with the Obergs I own, just looking to support a US product line when I can.
ejimmi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Flush transaxle after trans rebuild (extreme flush!) Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
I am now looking at the System One for another system being built currently, after being advised by PaulG.
Not a single issue with the Obergs I own, just looking to support a US product line when I can.

Witch System One model are you thinking of using? On the filter section of their web site they state "Acceptable for 5w 30 to straight 60 weight oil". Am i missing something?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Flush transaxle after trans rebuild (extreme flush!) Reply with quote

A filter will aways have a flowrate thats dependent on the fluid viscosity. There will always be a pressure differential across it, and 90w will significantly affect the flow rate. I may be able measure some of this stuff soon, but not high temp rates, maybe 160*F max (because it's winter now).

When the oil is cool, it will flow the least, of course. When it's hot (and flow is needed) it will flow the most.

If you are going to run it at full flow be sure it has the capacity for 2 gallons per minute of 90w. The 10micron filter that I got on eBay is rated for 20gallons per minute of hydraulic fluid (probably at 2,000 psi). How this translates to 90w at appx 25-50 psi, who knows? I will find out though. I would get a filter that has at least 3/8"NPT holes, or accommodations for AN8 fittings minimum. Size 8 refers to 8/16=1/2"

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Current plan is to use a circuit like this. Always, there will be some bypass due to the resistance of the radiator, but a valve can be closed at time to do a full-flow filtering (perhaps when hot). The system exchanges the trans fluid every 30 seconds, so closing the valve it for 10 minutes sometime while it's warmed up will do a good cleaning. I'll post as I get knowledge.

A smaller, fine fuel system filter (such as the 28 micron oberg?) could be run like this (but without the valve) to bypass filter all the time. It makes sense to put a 200-300 micron filter/screen between the trans and the pump, to and catch any broken parts (and protect the pump). But I think the Weddle pump can pass some pretty big parts.

Any comments on the schematic feel free to question or suggest changes.

insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Flush transaxle after trans rebuild (extreme flush!) Reply with quote

ejimmi wrote:
insyncro wrote:

Witch System One model are you thinking of using? On the filter section of their web site they state "Acceptable for 5w 30 to straight 60 weight oil". Am i missing something?

Still researching it and waiting to see a system that has been in the design phase for sometime now.

My "ultimate" system is far different than what is being shown in threads currently.
I am a firm believer in using a VC and that heat has an effect on the performance of the VC.
With that said, I plan to have the front diff and transmission plumbed together so that "heat" could be shared when needed and than have the cooler or coolers bring the Fluid temp down when needed.
Filtering is part of my current system, Oberg, and would be incorporated in the ultimate system, but again, my use of Obergs has been awesome.

Perhaps PaulG, Gears, will comment.
He knows the System 1 units far better than I.
ejimmi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Flush transaxle after trans rebuild (extreme flush!) Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:

I am a firm believer in using a VC and that heat has an effect on the performance of the VC.
With that said, I plan to have the front diff and transmission plumbed together so that "heat" could be shared when needed and than have the cooler or coolers bring the Fluid temp down when needed.

I like the idea of cooling the fluid in the front diff, but you may want to consider separate systems. I think having everything tied together may not be a good thing.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Flush transaxle after trans rebuild (extreme flush!) Reply with quote

Connecting front and rear diff together may have some benefit (perhaps heating the VC on a cold day?) but there's no way to control fluid levels. Would be pretty bad if one is empty and the other overfilled. I doubt the front itself generates any trash or heat. Neither should the rear…, except for these big engines.

I think before cooling the front diff a guy could put a hand on it, or shoot it with a temp gun and see if it's even an issue. It only gets a small portion of the driving power. Maybe if you were driving in sand all day long…..

Last edited by Sodo on Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Flush transaxle after trans rebuild (extreme flush!) Reply with quote

ejimmi wrote:
insyncro wrote:

I like the idea of cooling the fluid in the front diff, but you may want to consider separate systems. I think having everything tied together may not be a good thing.

About 18 months ago, many said that cooling and filtering transmissions in a Vanagon was a waste of time Wink
This ain't my first rodeo and have a good 15 years of dealing with the Syncro driveline and plenty of Syncro H6 experience, that has driven much of what you are reading in forums today.

If the Syncro is to last, we must think well beyond any comfort level we may have.
I know the direction I am going with my vans.
I'm done trying to win over skeptics.
I'm just glad that we have the Samba to show the progression of "improvements".
Trust me on this one....only a small percentage of said "improvements" are even talked about at this point.
ejimmi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Flush transaxle after trans rebuild (extreme flush!) Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
ejimmi wrote:
insyncro wrote:

About 18 months ago, many said that cooling and filtering transmissions in a Vanagon was a waste of time Wink
This ain't my first rodeo and have a good 15 years of dealing with the Syncro driveline and plenty of Syncro H6 experience, that has driven much of what you are reading in forums today.

If the Syncro is to last, we must think well beyond any comfort level we may have.
I know the direction I am going with my vans.
I'm done trying to win over skeptics.
I'm just glad that we have the Samba to show the progression of "improvements".
Trust me on this one....only a small percentage of said "improvements" are even talked about at this point.

Whoa.....I'm not sure what the rant is all about?

I never implied anything about your experience, knowledge, or contributions to this forum.

I said i liked your idea about cooling the front differential!

Mixing fluid from 2 seperate gear boxes is NOT a good idea, I won't bother to explain why, since you obviously know better.
ejimmi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Flush transaxle after trans rebuild (extreme flush!) Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

I think before cooling the front diff a guy could put a hand on it, or shoot it with a temp gun and see if it's even an issue. It only gets a small portion of the driving power. Maybe if you were driving in sand all day long…..

I was told that Matt at AA has temp gauges on the front diff's of his 2 syncro's, so he should have some data regarding this.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: