Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering box challenge
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fifteenduth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Steering box challenge Reply with quote

I recently attempted to adjust the play out of my steering in my '74 Westy and it was a bit heavy so decided to readjust but now I can't loosen the adjusting screw. I discovered I didn't follow the Bentley instructions correctly in that I adjusted the play with the drag link off but didn't rotate the steering wheel 180 degrees before adjusting it. Have I ruined my steering box? I've tried a few tricks to get some torque on the adjusting screw with no success. Ideas? After adjustment originally I only drove up and down my driveway with a short loop on the street.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box challenge Reply with quote

I think you ae saying that you didn't adjust it on center and now you turned it until it bound up, and now the screw won't back out. Is this correct?

If so there is no way of know if there is damage inside but they are pretty robust. The center is a high spot on purpose. You will want to remove the drag link, or have the wheels off the ground, and turn the steering wheel away from center and back towards the outside (say of a turn) rather than toward the center (say like going straight. The steering should get looser as you move farther from the center. Then you should be able to loosen the screw. Please make sure that the locking nut is free and that it is not the reason the screw is binding.

If you lack a turning torque gauge then the screw should be turned in until you barely feel the center of the gearbox. When I say barely I mean one finger turning the steering barely feels it.
fifteenduth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box challenge Reply with quote

thanks SG,
Actually I adjusted it ON centre, with drag link disconnected originally.
This a test time I took the steps in the Bentley and only got as far as loosening lock nut then turning out the adjuster one turn. This is where I could not turn it. So prior to loosening the lock nut I did rotate the wheel 180 degrees, but still can't loosen the adjuster. So if I understand what you said, if I turn the steering wheel further, closer to full stop, then I my be able to loosen the adjuster screw. Correct? Also I do have a small torque wrench from 10 in/lbs up so I should be ok once I get to that step.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box challenge Reply with quote

Look what I found.
steering opinion / SGKent
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4183052#4183052

If getting the wheels off the ground don't due it.
You may need to loosen the three bolts that hold the adjuster cover on (its going to leak). To relieve some of the tension.

Good luck
Tcash

just in case
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search
fifteenduth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box challenge Reply with quote

Hi SG, Thanks to your tip I was able to free the adjuster by turning the wheel closer to the end of travel and was able to follow the Bentley steps. I don't have the proper adapter to go from the 27MM steering wheel nut to my 1/4" drive torque wrench but I used the guidance you gave re centre point "feel" as well as the 5/8" free play that Muir suggests and it feels good. Just dropped it off the axle stands and I'm going for a quick test drive. Will report results. THanks so much for your quick reply and useful guidance.

Ronnie C
fifteenduth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box challenge Reply with quote

Took a test drive, filled her up, ran on the highway and all feels good. Little it of play that feels just right and SO much better than the slop I had before. Thanks again SG for your help
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: