Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Does the ideal Vanagon battery charger exist?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nocreditnodebt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Does the ideal Vanagon battery charger exist? Reply with quote

One thing to keep in mind is that regular 'smart' chargers like the Schumachers were not designed to both power loads and charge the battery at the same time.

That does not mean that they cannot, BUT, if there is a cycling load, like a compressor fridge, it might get confused. When the compressor cycles off and the battery is up around 85% charged or more, the voltage will skyrocket and the charger will turn off and flash an error code. Generally under 85% charged the battery can accept everything the charger can make and the fridge shutting off will not allow the voltage to rise enough to freak out the charger.

My sc2500a would work OK as a converter, but only on the 12 amp setting, Its voltage when the fridge would cycle off however would shoot up to near 16 before settling back down to 13.2v.

On the 2 amp or 25 amp setting the sc2500a charger will turn off and flash the error code the first time the fridge's compressor cycled off.

If one wants a charger that can handle cycling loads like the compressor fridge, and 3 stage recharge the battery, then RV converters like Iota, Progressive dynamics and Powermax are all better options. For a permanent mounting in the vehicle these are also better.

Now these converters come in different amp flavors from 30 amps to 120 amps, and they all have a different approach to maximum absorption voltage and the time they hold it before reverting to lower float voltages and different 'stages'.

These can be fine and dandy when one really does not have a time limit on how long they have to recharge, but those wanting maximum recharging in minimal time, such as those running a generator just to recharge, then these converters dropping prematurely to a lower voltage is self defeating.

The Progressive Dynamics 92xx series is nice because they have the ability to choose the stages. 14.4v, 13.8 or 13.2v at the press of a button and the rate at which the light flashes indicates the stage it is in. The charger will make as much juice as it can until the voltage reaches these setpoints, and then only enough required to maintain these voltages.

On needs to provide their own DC output cables with these RV converters. One could cut a pair of jumper cables in half and use them as a very capable and powerful portable 3 or 4 stage battery charger. But instead of a sleeek unit with a plastic cover and buttons and a readout they are just a rectangular box that would make marketers cringe.

Best of luck with the replacement Schumacher.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Does the ideal Vanagon battery charger exist? Reply with quote

I keep little used vehicles on maintainers - the charger sits in the garage until needed. That solves my set & forget issues.

If I have problems charging - hook 2 batteries in parallel to trick the charger, which is just a couple of years too new to be the good ol' fashioned stoopid kind.

They will likely cross in the mail - depends on the Seller. If Amazon itself, they will give you back a refund on your card.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Does the ideal Vanagon battery charger exist? Reply with quote

Merian,

That's a good idea. With good intentions, I bought a couple maintainers. I also installed a battery quick disconnect on one that sits a lot. Have I ever used it? Once, I think - to disconnect the battery when I left it somewhere for a couple months.

Yeah, I hope they cross in the mail. The snow has melted enough I think I can get one of them through the snow to the driveway. My luck we will get snow again before the charger arrives, though I bet it will start just fine. My anally retentive side coming out wanting the batteries always topped up.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Does the ideal Vanagon battery charger exist? Reply with quote

Was just reminded to update this thread. Amazon impressed by crossing them in the mail, meaning they did send a new one out before getting mine back. The new one seemed to cough once on the first battery and now is doing the right thing. I've charged 7 batteries with it so far with no issues.

I will try to remember to circle around and review this charger after some use. So far I agree with some reviews where you can't read the controls unless you are 18 or younger. On the plus side, it's a reasonable size and has good clamps and its hard to argue with the red - heh.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
vanagonhopefull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Does the ideal Vanagon battery charger exist? Reply with quote

I'm hoping to install this one in the spring.

http://www.xantrex.com/power-products/battery-chargers/truecharge.aspx
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Does the ideal Vanagon battery charger exist? Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
I have had a good experience with the NOCO Genius 7200.

I put ^that in my van at the end of last year along with a new aux battery. Part of its circuitry detects a load and adjusts the voltage accordingly. Whenever the van is parked in the garage, the extension cord is plugged into the 110 hookup so that the NOCO is always on. So far it's working great.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It may be purely coincidental given it's a notorious Mk4, and an old one at that, but after using a Schumacher charger/maintainer on my Jetta, the car has been having an electrical issue. Rolling Eyes
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Does the ideal Vanagon battery charger exist? Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
It may be purely coincidental given it's a notorious Mk4, and an old one at that, but after using a Schumacher charger/maintainer on my Jetta, the car has been having an electrical issue. Rolling Eyes

Coincidence....millions of Mk4s without battery chargers have the same issues Smile
figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Does the ideal Vanagon battery charger exist? Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
Howesight wrote:
I have had a good experience with the NOCO Genius 7200.

I put ^that in my van at the end of last year along with a new aux battery. Part of its circuitry detects a load and adjusts the voltage accordingly. Whenever the van is parked in the garage, the extension cord is plugged into the 110 hookup so that the NOCO is always on. So far it's working great.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looking to buy one of these. What amp would you get? 15 amp or 26 amp? Thanks!

Here is the 15 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PKIBVU0?th=1

And the 26: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LX14Z2?th=1

UPDATE: Oh, I see! you got this one, duh!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LWTHP2?th=1

Would the 15 or 26 be better?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662374
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Does the ideal Vanagon battery charger exist? Reply with quote

I used ot be a huge Amazon user but have a LO of problems with them just in the last year or so.

I suggest getting a CTEK charger, very high quality and has xlnt tech support.

AND I suggest getting it from somewhere else than Amazonk.
figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Does the ideal Vanagon battery charger exist? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
I used ot be a huge Amazon user but have a LO of problems with them just in the last year or so.

I suggest getting a CTEK charger, very high quality and has xlnt tech support.

AND I suggest getting it from somewhere else than Amazonk.

I'll check that out now. Thanks!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662374
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Does the ideal Vanagon battery charger exist? Reply with quote

So a thread reprisal to update. The Schumaker died last wednesday after giving 18 months of lackluster performance. It began doing the "bad batt" display a few months after I got the replacement. A few months later the fan suddenly changed pitch and was noisy from then on. Now it refuses to do anything.

So, lesson learned. Anybody have a new recommendation for a quality battery charger? Has anything changed?

Doug
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Does the ideal Vanagon battery charger exist? Reply with quote

I have been using the Noco Genius on board charger (1-bank 4 amp) for a couple years now. It's been flawless and has recovered my batteries nicely. I have a selector switch with it connected to 3 batteries for individual charge. They make 2 and 3 bank chargers as well, but I found the single bank to work just fine for me. It mounts nicely under the sink.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GENM1-Waterproof-Batte...B3M3CGFDH3

Last edited by PDXWesty on Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Does the ideal Vanagon battery charger exist? Reply with quote

get a C-Tek

BTW, batteries will self-discharge over time with no load on them...
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Does the ideal Vanagon battery charger exist? Reply with quote

so if you have an SI-ACR, do you need a dual battery charger? can you not just have the battery charger on one battery and it charges the other through the ACR?
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Does the ideal Vanagon battery charger exist? Reply with quote

I have both the CTEK and a NOCO. The CTEK when charging gets almost too hot to touch. Not sure why it gets so hot but that makes me nervous. Both do a good job charging though.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Does the ideal Vanagon battery charger exist? Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
so if you have an SI-ACR, do you need a dual battery charger? can you not just have the battery charger on one battery and it charges the other through the ACR?

It will charge through the ACR but the programs on these chargers are pretty sophisticated. To get the full benefit of the charging stages and recovery functions, it's best to charge one battery at a time. It will definitely keep your batteries charged through the ACR, but they may not function optimally. By no means do I mean it won't work, but it may work at 97% rather than 102%. The smart chargers can actually make your batteries last longer.
jacrider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Does the ideal Vanagon battery charger exist? Reply with quote

On sailboats, we have had good luck with Xantrex chargers.

http://www.xantrex.com/power-products/battery-chargers/truecharge-2-2.aspx

Likely more than bargain stuff, but lasts. Waterproof. Good charge sense and logic.

Westmarine and Defender I believe are dealers.

Here is a link to Westmarine:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/xantrex--truecharge-portable-battery-charger-10a--333396?recordNum=3

If you are only concerned with charging the "house" battery, a single bank charger will be fine as the alternator will charge the "starting" battery.
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Does the ideal Vanagon battery charger exist? Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
So a thread reprisal to update. The Schumaker died last wednesday after giving 18 months of lackluster performance. It began doing the "bad batt" display a few months after I got the replacement. A few months later the fan suddenly changed pitch and was noisy from then on. Now it refuses to do anything.

So, lesson learned. Anybody have a new recommendation for a quality battery charger? Has anything changed?

Doug

Nothing has changed for me. I still recommend these guys: https://www.batterysaver.com/

Good enough for the LeMay collection, good enough for me. I use their All-In-One unit (older style with switches), which is a charger and maintainer. Stupid easy to use and effective. No complaints and still going strong after 3 years of nearly daily use now. This charger has seriously saved batteries I thought were gone. I have 3 other chargers in the shop, but this is the one I reach for first.

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu

Last edited by 61Scout on Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Does the ideal Vanagon battery charger exist? Reply with quote

Research Xantrex chargers before you buy. They have a very bad review history on West Marine. 2 out of 5 review rating...

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
danbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Does the ideal Vanagon battery charger exist? Reply with quote

I'm having a Noco and an ACR with an AGM aux battery installed on my van this week. My aux battery has been bad for a while now so it's time to upgrade to this setup. I'm tired of not having lights in the van when I go out at night. Now I'll just be able to leave it plugged in in the driveway and topped up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: