Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who else loves when........
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Who else loves when........ Reply with quote

Your driving your bug and you witness someone "slug bug" someone else? I've had my bug since the end of February and I've seen about 10-12 people slug bug someone else. Who knows how many I don't see. I don't know why, but it brings a big smile to my face every time. It's people of all ages too. Just today I seen a kid slug bug another kid. Reminds me of when me and my sister were kids and we would do it.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They point at you car and call it Herbie.

I H@TE that.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Who else loves when........ Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Your driving your bug and you witness someone "slug bug" someone else? I've had my bug since the end of February and I've seen about 10-12 people slug bug someone else. Who knows how many I don't see. I don't know why, but it brings a big smile to my face every time. It's people of all ages too. Just today I seen a kid slug bug another kid. Reminds me of when me and my sister were kids and we would do it.

I have never seen it happen. Not 49 years ago when I got my first Beetle, and not yesterday when I drove my '66,
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while but as I was driving one of my bugs, a twenty-something year old female shouted "punch buggy" & slugged her unsuspecting date hard enough that he fell into a nicely manicured row of holly bushes. I nearly wet myself.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Who else loves when........ Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:

I have never seen it happen. Not 49 years ago when I got my first Beetle, and not yesterday when I drove my '66,

People are a little slow on the uptake in Iowa.
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Who else loves when........ Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:

Same thing happened when we were leaving the fair some kid slugged another kid.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen it many times. I usually beep beep the horn while the pummeling is in progress. Very Happy

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
DuaneL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see it on a regular basis too, and sometimes wonder if I should feel bad for promoting violence.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skoshi surf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brings a smile every time. I wonder how the young kids know. Still the best was when a forty something woman punched her husband slash significant other as I drove by.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Who else loves when........ Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Your driving your bug and you witness someone "slug bug" someone else? I've had my bug since the end of February and I've seen about 10-12 people slug bug someone else.

With my kids it was "Pincher Bug", had to say in a funny voice, less violent than Slug Bug. Ghias were worth 2, buses 3, and Things 5.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happen around here when out and about.

Oh did slug bug come from being ssllooww?

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})

Last edited by gt1953 on Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen anyone punch another as I drive by. Well - its a Ghia after all. I had a guy insist what my Ghia was certainly wasn't a VW - he retracted his disbelief when I showed him the block lettered "VOLKSWAGEN" on the engine cover and the 'VW' emblem on each hubcap. He was maybe 30 YO.

That guy almost reminded me of when I took my young son and daughter to a 4th of July parade - the band coming down the street was playing a very familiar tune to which I was softly singing along. He turned to his wife and said "That ain't the words to that song - it has no lyrics" - very shortly the band all put their instruments down and started singing "In heaven there is no beer - thats why we drink it here..." - yep - singing the same words I was singing! I laughed out loud when his wife elbowed him in the ribs - a couple of times.

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all of the above especialy the ones that say they had one way back when. one time an older couple kinda fell inlove with my bug at a gas station. I wish I had gotten ther number as it was before I bought my 356. they were in a slightly faded green early 356 coupe. havent seen it since.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Who else loves when........ Reply with quote

OLD VW NUT wrote:
Never seen anyone punch another as I drive by. Well - its a Ghia after all. I had a guy insist what my Ghia was certainly wasn't a VW - he retracted his disbelief when I showed him the block lettered "VOLKSWAGEN" on the engine cover and the 'VW' emblem on each hubcap. He was maybe 30 YO.

And I have people insist that my 356 coupe is a KG so I guess it cuts both ways. Wink
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At Dutch Bros. by my daughter's High School the other day, a bully kid slugged a smaller kid when they saw my car. I pulled up and taught the victim "Cadillac Whack" and "Pontiac Pummel" and instructed him to make sure he punches in the exact same spot each time.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
At Dutch Bros. by my daughter's High School the other day, a bully kid slugged a smaller kid when they saw my car. I pulled up and taught the victim "Cadillac Whack" and "Pontiac Pummel"

Never heard of these.
Quote:

and instructed him to make sure he punches in the exact same spot each time.

It is a general mystery how punch buggy or slug-bug started...

But, I do have some more up to date knowledge of how the game is played, at least in the Midwest.

There is a rudimentary scoring system.

Old beetles are worth the most, at a double punch, or most on the points score.

New beetles (the watercooled variety) are usually worth just the one punch, and a lower score than an older air cooled beetle.

PT Cruisers are now part of this game here! what has this come to?

anyhow, the PT cruisers are worth the least, which don't qualify for the "no punch back rule.."

Kyle
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Who else loves when........ Reply with quote

I guess where there's no more Beetles left you have to improvise.

I had a young kid tell me that yellow Beetles were worth TWO hits. If I'm not driving and I'm near my car and see a slug, I quietly tell the victim of the two hit rule. They usually like that!

When I was travelling in Central America I asked the Beetle guys there about the game. It's played there too, including the yellow=2 clause.

In Mexico they have their own rules since Beetles are so common there. They can only punch on yellow Beetles, or, pink ones, which are worth TWO! My friend in Mexico City is the master at the game and keeps a running total between her and her husband. When I'm there with my yellow Beetle, they have to suspend the rules for my car only.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: